29 replies to this topic

#1 RAS1187

RAS1187

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:55 AM

Seeing how alcohol sells mostly by word of mouth, and the online thing is hard to work with people who dont have credit cards, wouldn't it help more if you offered it in retail stores, maybe a package that works kinda like 321 studios, with an installation disc, a license ID # and a password to access that ID #? I mean, a long time ago, i dished out 50 bux for sum software from a company i never even heard of just because they advertised that it could backup copy-protected cd's. I'm sure that the masses of frustrated people who dont know of alcohol's existance would be willing to do the same if they came across a flashy Alcohol Retail package while casually browsing best buy or comp USA... though this means u gotta get into the mess of dealing with the middleman, and also dealing with people whose keys have been registeded by sum1 else, but so far 321 is the only reputable company that I know of that is capitalizing on backup software like this, which btw gamexcopy is wayyyy inferior to alcohol.

#2 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:05 AM

Our software will be available in box retail version within the USA within the next month or so.

#3 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:26 PM

SWEET!!!!!!

Is it going to have an install disc inside it or will it be just an envelope with a link to download the program?

Will it be possible for us with registered versions to get a copy of the disc if there is one?

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:50 PM

It will include handbook and disc smile.gif

And sure you can, if you want to purchase it smile.gif

#5 thing

thing

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 02:10 AM

Will we be able to back up the disc?! laugh.gif What sort of protection will you be using?

#6 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 03:47 PM

It will include handbook and disc

And sure you can, if you want to purchase it

You are killing me Phoenix!!!!

#7 RAS1187

RAS1187

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:49 PM

I am curious as to how the protection scheme is gonna work... will you be using online verification for a serial # like WinXP or 321 studios? That would be smartest. Or is it gonna be like the alcohol has always been, where you enter a key, and it accepts it without any online verification. That wouldnt be so good for the new version, especially if it becomes popular in stores, but I dont know what kind of budget you guys are on.

#8 Decrypt

Decrypt

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ May 3 2004, 09:55 PM)
It will include handbook and disc smile.gif

And sure you can, if you want to purchase it smile.gif

Shouldn't people who have already paid for your product get a discount on the boxed edition? Because they may well want the nice looking boxed edition with the handbook as well, but I don't see why they should have to pay another £30+ just so they can get this boxed edition. I hope to god Alcohol does not turn out to be another 321. :no:

#9 RAS1187

RAS1187

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:40 PM

Yea for real... 321 has sucked after that court ruling... trying desperately to make that quick buck because their bread and butter software that feeds all their families has been banned (Well not entirely, but the main function of it, its like trying to sell alcohol that can only backup non-copy protected games). GamesXCopy worked for me in the beginning, as I didn't know anything about copy protection, but I discovered alcohol, downloaded the trial, and love it... though my trial's expired, I'm gonna wait for this boxed version.

To Development team... are there gonna be any drawbacks to boxed purchases opposed to online purchasing? (example, 1 yr boxed purchased upgrade period opposed to 2 yr online purchase upgrade period or something similar?)

#10 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:55 PM

The box version will carry the same as the online download version, you wil recieve free updates. you will need to register on the download site using the short serial number that will be with th eboxed version. onced registerd you will be able to download all the updates.

#11 RAS1187

RAS1187

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:32 AM

Definitely sweet... I think i'll hold off buying alcohol so I can get this boxed version... I'd imagine it will cost more then buying it online? But not by much, right???

And also it would be nice if you could downloaded updated blacklists quickly kinda like Anti-Virus software, where you just click on Live Update and you should be up to date with any new blacklists on upcoming games, opposed to waiting another 4-6 months for another version to come out. And you could charge like that too, say 50 initially for software + 1 yr, and maybe 25-30 for each yr after that with the option of updating for a discounted price to a newly released version.

#12 Decrypt

Decrypt

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 11:43 AM

So, are you going to be offering the boxed edition to the people who have already paid for it at a discount price? It' doesn't matter if you don't, it would just be nice to have the boxed edition to add to my other game burning software am I’m sure the other customer would agree with me. If you offered the boxed edition at a discount price to your customer who has already paid, you would make a little more money and keep your customer very happy. After all it is the customers that keep your business going dry.gif

#13 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:04 PM

Perhaps someone from the Sales and Marketing can answer this?

#14 free spirit

free spirit

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 737 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (thing @ May 4 2004, 03:22 AM)
Will we be able to back up the disc?! laugh.gif What sort of protection will you be using?

Precious laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#15 RAS1187

RAS1187

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:08 AM

Still waiting on an answer on if the boxed version is gonna be more xpensive than buying it online... im almost sure, as it costs alot more to manufacture cd's and ship em opposed to download. but i wanna make sure.

And also Phoenix... you mentioned free updates but did not mention a time period for the updates... how long is the period going to be?

Edited by RAS1187, 08 May 2004 - 05:15 AM.

#16 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 08 May 2004 - 05:52 AM

I'm sure it will be the same deal as online whereas minor updates will be provided free, but major ones you might be expected to pay a token fee.

#17 nightmeare

nightmeare

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

when will in come to Europe?

#18 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:54 PM

It´s not coming out in europe I suppose because of those stupid laws. Look at clonecd, they stopped any dev. and sold the business. Same with clonyxxl and so on .... If alc sells in the shops, it will be just like nero etc... copy cd´s without copy protection ... :no:

#19 nightmeare

nightmeare

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:44 PM

laws are only a document with some ink on it can be changed at any time!

#20 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:40 PM

laws are only a document with some ink on it can be changed at any time!

Yeah just try using some white-out on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users