29 replies to this topic

#21 vomitator

vomitator

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:53 PM

Itīs not coming out in europe

Well, there is a boxed version available in Germany, but afaik this version is "castrated" blink.gif

#22 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:26 PM

This Version isnt castrated, it simply cannot copy Protections to comply with German law.

#23 vomitator

vomitator

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:07 PM

what would you call it compared to the original then???
Maybe copy-protection-handicapped/disabled wink.gif

#24 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 08:45 PM

Well nice you talk about it, but couldīnt you just say that I was right tongue.gif

#25 vomitator

vomitator

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

nope, because you've to pay 39,95 Euros for it. From my pov the "original" is a more reasonable offer wacko.gif

#26 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:07 PM

Maybe copy-protection-handicapped/disabled

I think the term is legally impared. biggrin.gif

#27 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:21 AM

QUOTE (vomitator @ May 13 2004, 07:19 PM)
what would you call it compared to the original then???
Maybe copy-protection-handicapped/disabled wink.gif

Legal. Some laws disadvantage, some advantage.

In NZ its not legal to sell zone-locked DVD players. In otherwords a dvd drive must be able to be made region free before its allowed to be sold. smile.gif

#28 RAS1187

RAS1187

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:17 AM

That would be sweet but unfortunately unpractical if used in the USA.

#29 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:13 PM

In NZ its not legal to sell zone-locked DVD players. In otherwords a dvd drive must be able to be made region free before its allowed to be sold.

It has to be able to be done but they dont have to make it easy on you. Same way the game manufacturers are supposed to allow you to make a legal back-up, but it never mentions that they make it easy for us. Hence Alcohol was created to make it easy. I think the copy protection these manufacturers put on games is just plain crap, but if they didnt we wouldnt be here talking about this and possible wouldnt have Alcohol to thank for such a great product and tech support.

#30 RAS1187

RAS1187

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:21 AM

In that perspective... its ironic and funny how Alcohol owes its existance to piracy. If piracy didnt exist, no copy protections would exist either, thus meaning Alcohol would have no need for existance also. But I agree with shawn_nee in regards that the protections they use now are total bullcrap, as they DO stop a few hundred people from boot-legging (the REALLY good pirates still find a way) and also at the same time, seriously tick off thousands of paying customers. The best way to protect software is by activation feature, as you can make as many backups of the CD as you want... and since only you know all your own personal info that you registered it with, re-setting/installing it is a breeze. Just have a steady customer support team to handle illegally downloaded keys, and resetting them.(unlike that poor 1-2 person STEAM support staff whom, I finally got a message from concerning my problem which was solved like 3 weeks ago by ATI customer support IMMEDIATELY, I'm still waiting to get my 2nd CS key reset which i mailed about a month ago.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users