Photo

Plextor Premium Varirate Option

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to use Varirate to backup Securom Games instead of DPM + Emulation? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to use Varirate to backup Securom Games instead of DPM + Emulation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DarkFate

DarkFate

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:59 PM

at the moment its possible tu copy all securom protected games also hitman contracts with the plextor premium using varirate... i think thats a big poit to buy blindwrite..

copy safedisk its possible with freeware programms..
new starforce versions do not work atm... with alcohol

so the once popular copy protection is securom.. and it works with the premium without any emulation.. or other programms installed.

i think as noone wants to pay 49 € (germany) for the copy programm which cant make an copy which works ALWAYS fine..

the big problem is blacklisting... i tried the trial version of alc and mounted the images everything worked fine with my game until a patch comes out which was needed to play the game online. after i updated my images didnt run. so ive made a copy with blindwrite and it works for months without problems without any programms.

the idea about possible blacklisting of plextor premium is some months old.. but the point is you can do it NOW. werent alcohol, daemon, blindwrite, clonecd and other programms get blacklisted and the people still using them? so why not the varirate option?

I want to hear your point..
posting about blacklisting the premium varirate are not welcome because everything can be blacklisted... but at least it works now!

#2 gunner007

gunner007

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:22 AM

Plextor Premium is a nice drive, but not everyone wants to spring for one. It's a great drive nonetheless. only downside is that the drive is 80.00 for brand new retail while at the same time, a lite-on drive is like 30.00. And most of the blacklistings are for Virtual Drives, not images.

Images can't be blacklisted. UT2K4 detects the VD and refuses to play, but if you set the # to 0, then it works fine. If you're talking also about the TwinPeak method, I've had good and bad experiences with it. It works fine on one system, but the other two in my room wouldn't accept it. It's hit and miss with the varirate sometimes.

Otherwise, great burner. I don't really mind emulating protection anyways as I don't really use my cd's on any other systems except for testing. I own copies of both BW and Alcohol and both are great products.

But sure you can blacklist a drive, but who would do that. That would kill your product in a second. Although even with the VariRate you still have to hide the ATIP so you need some software to hide it. So in the end, it's kind of emulation but not that much. Unless you play it in a CD-ROM.

Well overall, its good. If you don't mind droppin' 60-80 for it. But if you're like me who just loads up images, I don't really ever make copies of my software. Less coasters, less mess, no need to open my cdrom.

Most of my cd's have only seen my cd-rom once.

Cheers smile.gif

Edited by gunner007, 24 May 2004 - 01:25 AM.

#3 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:42 AM

Not sure this really pertains to the Alcohol 120 section, so its on the move to the off-topic part.

#4 Tigerite

Tigerite

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:43 AM

Development suggestions for future versions would have been best :beer:

#5 DarkFate

DarkFate

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 10:43 AM

i posted it in this forum because its most visited..
i also searched for other posts like this and the once answer was blacklisting..
so why vso soft dont cares about it?

#6 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 11:46 AM

varirate? i think you mean gigarec...

#7 gunner007

gunner007

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:07 PM

nah.. IGL... kinda the same... Gigarec jsust allows you to burn almost a GB on a regular CD.

VariRate allows you control over the burning process, moreover, the power of the laser itself.

#8 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:20 PM

I think this topic is geared toward a competitors product. No negative remarks were made but it still sounds like hypeing the competitor over Alcohol.

#9 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:34 PM

no no, gunner you're wrong. what you mean is VariRec which is supposed to raise the quality of audio cds.

don't mix all the techniques...

this competitive product is (ab)using GigaRec.

Edited by IGL, 24 May 2004 - 04:36 PM.

#10 gunner007

gunner007

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:47 AM

Good lord, I am wrong... too many :beer: You're right....

This isn't really a good topic anyways as its just promoting other software and hardware.

#11 Powerhero

Powerhero

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:11 AM

Hmmm...
this is from the competitors product´s logfile:

Media topology will be reproduced by Varirate
Writing device : 0:1:0 - PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM 1.05 [K] (Ide)

??? rolleyes.gif ???

#12 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:23 AM

well. variRATE is no plextor technology.
plextor always uses 'REC' e.g. poweREC, variREC and gigaREC.

i think the vso team just calls the use of gigaREC variRATE because they dont want any trouble with plextor

#13 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:12 PM

Most customers do not have this Plex drive. I agree that this feature is nice and we are always trying to upgrade Alcohol, but I think the DEV team is looking into upgrades that more users need. They will get to it I am sure, if they feel it is important to go that way (dont quote me because I AM NOT PART OF THE dev TEAM). I am one of those customers that needs Alcohol to make sure I can make backups with a Liteon drive.... With DPM I am able to make backups that work so I am happy, this added feature would mean nothing to me as I do not have a PLEX. But if I did I am sure I would like to see this feature added too...

#14 Twisted EndZ

Twisted EndZ

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:34 PM

Your wrong about the Varirate and Gigarec. Varirate is the method Blindwrite uses to burn the disc BUT its using the Premium's Gigarec to achieve the desired writing by Blindwrites Varirate.

#15 softdown3

softdown3

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (Tron @ May 25 2004, 01:24 PM)
Most customers do not have this Plex drive. I agree that this feature is nice and we are always trying to upgrade Alcohol, but I think the DEV team is looking into upgrades that more users need. They will get to it I am sure, if they feel it is important to go that way (dont quote me because I AM NOT PART OF THE dev TEAM). I am one of those customers that needs Alcohol to make sure I can make backups with a Liteon drive.... With DPM I am able to make backups that work so I am happy, this added feature would mean nothing to me as I do not have a PLEX. But if I did I am sure I would like to see this feature added too...

My Opinion: You and your developer team are too lazy to integrate this feature. So you just say: "Not many customers own a Plex drive"
As i read in other boards, many users would buy a plex drive, if YOUR SOFTWARE supports this "1:1 Securom Copy"-Feature !!

I REGRET BUYING ALCOHOL 120% !!! No Updates, No Service......

Have a look at the Blindwrite team: Every week there is a new version of their software. And what are YOU doing ?? Perhaps theres an update every 2 months !! PERHAPS.....

I'm very disappointed of Alcohol Soft.

GReetz
softdown3

#16 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:16 AM

There's an update to BW every week because they don't bother with beta testing. Each new update *is* the beta. Still, to each their own. You obviously bought Alcohol because you believed it was worth the money. If you want to waste your money by not using it anymore - hey, that's your choice.

Edited by Jito463, 31 May 2004 - 02:17 AM.

#17 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (softdown3 @ May 31 2004, 12:52 AM)
My Opinion: You and your developer team are too lazy to integrate this feature. So you just say: "Not many customers own a Plex drive"
As i read in other boards, many users would buy a plex drive, if YOUR SOFTWARE supports this "1:1 Securom Copy"-Feature !!

Have a look at the Blindwrite team: Every week there is a new version of their software. And what are YOU doing ?? Perhaps theres an update every 2 months !! PERHAPS.....

I'm very disappointed of Alcohol Soft.

GReetz
softdown3

The Development Team work very hard fixing bugs and trying to implement new features in Alcohol. Just because they would rather release a fully tested program that works fine on the majority of systems speaks more to me than some rushed out beta that causes more problems than it fixed.

As Tron said, he's not part of the Development Team so he would not be implementing the feature even if the Development Team were working on it now. He simply stated he did not need the feature. He is by no means lazy.

Perhaps if all these people on the other boards came here and requested this new feature then the Development Team may look at it seeming it is the official Alcohol 120 Forum.

I'm sorry you feel this way you'll be missing out on a great product.

#18 DarkFate

DarkFate

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:59 AM

i can remember something...

few months ago i was confused about my plextor 708a does not worked with alcohol software trying to copy safedisk 2.5x+ and 3.x+

i mailed to the alcohol support and asked about the reason...
they told me my plex 708a is safedisk incompatible and he cannot be used with EFM.... and will never defeat safedisk with alcohol..

so i didnt bought alcohol for bad support... because diskdump a freeware program can dump an image whitch can be easily burned by any programm and it will start from any drive without any emulation.

#19 wasc

wasc

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (softdown3 @ May 30 2004, 10:52 PM)

Oh come on, you know thats not true. Alcohol release updates all the time fixing bugs and adding new features. They are also working very hard on producing new features which will hopefully be released soon and I know because I've seen them. Unfortunately i'm not allowed to tell you about them due to beta testing confidentiallity but believe me, the alcohol team aren't even nearly as lazy as you're making them out to be.

Edited by wasc, 01 June 2004 - 02:12 AM.

#20 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:35 AM

I was not going to reply to this post, but I will say this. We have many many happy customers. You will never make EVERYONE happy. If the trouble is not with thier hardware then we can help them. The few people who complain about our product are the very small minority so do not let it get you angry when someone spouts off. We know better so as I like to say, " Like water off a duck".....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users