Photo

Plextor Premium Varirate Option

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to use Varirate to backup Securom Games instead of DPM + Emulation? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to use Varirate to backup Securom Games instead of DPM + Emulation?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ShutDown

ShutDown

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:31 PM

because diskdump a freeware program can dump an image whitch can be easily burned by any programm and it will start from any drive without any emulation.

havent heard of this program? can i have a little more information please...

#22 Tigerite

Tigerite

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:38 PM

Search google for ddumpfrontend. It's on geocities, named after itself.. should help you find it wink.gif

#23 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:39 PM

I´ve got it (DDump) tongue.gif Question: i do´nt see any info about VOB ProtectCD ... (SafeDisc and SecuROM yes) sad.gif What setting should I use ?

#24 KitnaIsntHappy

KitnaIsntHappy

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:22 PM

DDump cannot do ProtectCD VOB or SecuROM.
The SecuROM feature it has is non-functional.

because diskdump a freeware program can dump an image whitch can be easily burned by any programm and it will start from any drive without any emulation.

Unfortunately this is not true for newer safedisc. The problem with EFM capable drives being needed still applies.

Cheers

#25 softdown3

softdown3

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:25 PM

Ok, its not true that i regret buying alcohol. Its a very good program, but i have bought a 90 Euro expensive Plex Premium. So i wanted to copy directly 1:1 copies of Securom *new* 4.8x/5.x protected Software.

But now it seems that i have to buy Blindwrite to copy 1:1 !! And so i thought, it would be great if Alcohol 120% would support this feature, which Blindwrite already supports.

Greetz
softdown3

#26 Nitro

Nitro

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:10 PM

[COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue][COLOR=blue]http://www.securom.com/message.asp?msg=emulation

maybe they will think about it soon RMPS is sony's next target wink.gif and if Alcohol cant backup securom or address this forthcoming blacklisting with regular updates then really its only good for Safedisk. Is that enough to keep getting new customers.

QUOTE (From the sony securom page)
Installed virtual drives do not cause any problems, however, for a successful startup of a SecuROM encrypted application you must make sure that there is an original disc in your local physical CD/DVD-ROM drive. In addition please be aware that some emulation tools offer the feature to bypass copy control technologies (eg. RMPS). In order to launch a protected title successfully these options have to be disabled.

I own a plex premium and its the best beast going. The Clonecd to blindwrite licence was also a good deal. Currently alcohol is so good at safedisk the other big player it has to be owned smile.gif, but BW only has to work on Safedisk 3+ to be totally ahead of the game.

Edited by Nitro, 01 June 2004 - 10:12 PM.

#27 DarkFate

DarkFate

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Tron @ Jun 1 2004, 03:47 AM)
You will never make EVERYONE happy. If the trouble is not with thier hardware then we can help them. The few people who complain about our product are the very small minority so do not let it get you angry when someone spouts off.

1) gigarec is supported by every plex premium so its not a hardware problem

2) 70% of the voted users want varirate so its not a minority... or is it? huh.gif

#28 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:52 PM

70% of the poll are not 70% of the Alcohol users...

#29 Andareed

Andareed

Beta Tester

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:16 PM

Another thing to note is that ONLY the premium drive can do this. While plextor has made new drives with varirec/gigarec, they can't be used by blindwrite. Vso has said that plextor won't let them. So clearly plextor does not want to support/pursue this idea.

#30 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:22 PM

I´m on your side IGL (not only my virtual drive hehehehehe) wink.gif

#31 XXX-gr

XXX-gr

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Andareed @ Jun 6 2004, 09:28 PM)
Another thing to note is that ONLY the premium drive can do this. While plextor has made new drives with varirec/gigarec, they can't be used by blindwrite. Vso has said that plextor won't let them. So clearly plextor does not want to support/pursue this idea.

One of the reasons why feurio! is propably the best audio cd authoring programme is the fact that it enables Plextor and Yamaha CD-RW owners to burn using varirec and Audio Master Recording respectively.Surely the author of Feurio didn't have in mind only Yamaha and Plextor owners when he was writing it...Alcohol 120% is by far the best when it comes to CD-protections(PERIOD!) but i think it is rather sad to see a totally inferior product (Blindwrite 5.xx) to produce better outcomes when it comes to Securom>4.77!(Plextor Premium backups are the only backups that work perfectly till now even with the very latest version of Securom in almost any drive!)You guys at the Alcohol120% are ages ahead of the competition(your new ideas when released as a regular version will make an impact) but you let Blindwrite steal the impressions with Varirate(which is about 8 months old).Just think of all the potential customers you lose...

#32 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:41 PM

even backups made with the Premium are by no means perfect, they do not work in every drive.

#33 softdown3

softdown3

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:50 PM

They ARE perfect !!

Greetz
softdown3

Edited by softdown3, 08 June 2004 - 12:50 PM.

#34 Andareed

Andareed

Beta Tester

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 12:56 PM

If they were perfect, why doesn't the same method work for starforce or any other angle-based protection?

#35 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

hey Andareed, I think we shouldn't doubt Softdown3's wiseness rolleyes.gif

#36 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:17 PM

I was going to say we are getting off-topic, but thats where the post is anyways.

#37 DarkFate

DarkFate

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Andareed @ Jun 8 2004, 02:08 PM)
If they were perfect, why doesn't the same method work for starforce or any other angle-based protection?

because alcohol developer cant develope a programm which can burn on the same position where it reads from smile.gif

and @ IGL if we would make an open topic it would be more than 70 %

as i said its the same and not worth to talk about alcohol support... they also said my px708a isnt fully efm compatible smile.gif

Edited by DarkFate, 08 June 2004 - 08:55 PM.

#38 XXX-gr

XXX-gr

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (softdown3 @ Jun 8 2004, 02:02 PM)
They ARE perfect !!

Greetz
softdown3

They are not perfect by far and it is true that Sony could easily beat them at least with the current firmware and software used.BUT they are the only ones that consistenly work for about 8 months now regardless of the Securom updates!About the compatibility issues of the Premium backups as long as you use a good bwa file and the right firmware(1.05) 99.9% of the drives sold in todays market will work,believe me!About the other DPM and angular velocity protections...Yes it is true that with the current firmware Starforce protected games will not work!(although CD Protect VOB v5 protected cds can have a much better chance!).But even if Premium could reproduce the absolute density variations of the sectors Starforce would still be uncopyable,at least with the kind of information bwa files reproduce and the quality of Blindwrite has to offer as a programme!So only Alcohol is maybe able to take premium varirate method to another level !

#39 Venturer

Venturer

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:52 PM

Any news about this feature? Will Alcohol's staff insert Varirate feature in the next alcohol release?

#40 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:59 AM

At the moment blacklisting and improving the protection support is taking priority so I would not expect to see this in the next Alcohol release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users