11 replies to this topic

#1 Liu Ce

Liu Ce

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:21 AM

Linux claims they have taken 30% of the OS market, so why not make a Linux version of alcohol. I admit I once used your products but I can no longer since I moved to Linux. I know it's alot of work to re-do the code to make a Linux version but it may be worth it since they have 30% of the market.

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:38 AM

Has been mentioned before but I don't think there are any plans at the moment to do so at the moment.

#3 NARS

NARS

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 02:00 AM

30% of the OS market... maybe on servers... not on workstations... also makes no much sence of using Alcohol in Linux as almost all protected games will not run in Linux... and to do normal simple copies there are already many other solutions available for linux...

#4 krusher

krusher

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (NARS @ Apr 10 2005, 03:12 AM)
30% of the OS market... maybe on servers... not on workstations... also makes no much sence of using Alcohol in Linux as almost all protected games will not run in Linux... and to do normal simple copies there are already many other solutions available for linux...

Linux is increasingly becoming more popular as a workstation, especially with cedega allowing you to play all popular windows games. So, alcohol120 would be a convenience to have.

I personally find it annoying to have to swap out cds.

#5 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:21 AM

One of the problems with doing so, is the many varied distros available. They'd either have to offer no support (which few would go for), or limit support to a select few (which would then have them griped at for not support X distro, or Y distro). Mind you, I have no say in the matter, but that's certainly things I would consider before choosing to make a Linux version. Not to mention the time involved in recoding for an entirely different OS.

#6 krusher

krusher

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:06 PM

The main difference between [linux]distros is cosmetic.
Porting alc120 would indeed be a challenge.
One can only hope.

#7 gattler

gattler

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:23 PM

Why port something to Linux already build in (like -by man- uncountable other features).

mount -t iso9660 -o loop,ro /windows/E/myCd.iso /mnt/isosrv/image1/

thanks to:
http://www.linuxjour...om/article/5639

--
You see theres no need to bring more behemoth programs to the fast, scalable and legal world of linux.

Its all Native !

#8 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:18 AM

behemoth?

#9 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

be·he·moth P Pronunciation Key (b-hmth, b-mth)
n.
Something enormous in size or power.
often Behemoth A huge animal, possibly the hippopotamus, described in the Bible.

so there is no need to bring BIG or LARGE programs to linux? mmmk

#10 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:21 AM

You see theres no need to bring more behemoth programs to the fast, scalable and legal world of linux.

Somehow I don't think he meant it that way TY tongue.gif However yes, there is no need to add more large programs to an already large OS smile.gif

#11 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 11:28 AM

Hey, I just wanted to be clear here smile.gif

#12 Species8472

Species8472

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:42 AM

LOL Ya but those who use Alcohol are usually compentent enough to know Linux. And I personally would love another reason to dump Bill permantly. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users