54 replies to this topic

#1 Skylineboy

Skylineboy

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

I want to change my processor of my pc.I have socket 478 to 3.2GHz Hyper-Threating and i want to do an upgrade but i want to stay to pentium 4 i dont want to change it.But in the other site i heard that prescott the new processors of pentium gets big tempratures in a few minutes and now i dont know what to do.I want help. sad.gif

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:43 PM

Temperature is all relative. It shortens the CPU life, however these days, really, how long do we keep a CPU for?

#3 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:01 AM

Zamiel, I agree with you. Let say the life is 10 years, and now it is shortened to 7 years. Does anyone still want to use it after 7 years?

Skylineboy, if you still want to keep your socket 478 board, I am afraid it will be no point for you to upgrade. 3.2G I think is almost the fastest available. You will not get too much extra from the money you spend, it is just not worthwhile.

In addition, 'Upgrade' does not really apply to the situation nowadays. Technologies change so fast, 'Upgrade' really means 'Buy a complete new computer'.

Edited by MaLing, 18 May 2005 - 09:02 AM.

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

I agree with MaLing. The CPU's speed today is confronting its limits, and I think that we' ll hardly see a P4 proccessor faster than 4GHz. Well, I think that even for a 4GHz proccessor the difference in performance wouldn't worth the money you would spend for it. 3.2 GHz is already just too fast for most of today's applications. If you want to upgrade your system, you' d better consider bying more memory or a second hard disk.

#5 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:21 PM

If you want to stay intel P4 then move to the socket 775

#6 Skylineboy

Skylineboy

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:03 PM

I will upgrade my memory too but what we will do all those we have socket 478,with pci-express and the other new things our motherboard dont support all these new things?Thats why i want to change my processor.

#7 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:54 PM

I will upgrade my memory too but what we will do all those we have socket 478,with pci-express and the other new things our motherboard dont support all these new things?Thats why i want to change my processor

Well if you want the extra's you got to get new stuff. That's how they think of it, there are no benefits for them allowing you to keep older stuff when they want to push the new stuff. At work we still have 350 cpus being updated to 450's and 500's. Our IT dept has put in requests for faster cpu, and they got 10 2.2gig puters. So now we are only 580 puters short blink.gif

#8 arbitriter

arbitriter

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

If you really want to get better performance then you have to move away from intel. anyway the P4 line is done, just read the latest releases from intel. personaly im moving to AMD 64 stuff. AMD has at least made things easier for people on a budget. they are keeping their new dual-core chips on the same 939 socket. so if i buy a cheap 64 3500+ now and want to upgrade to something much better later it will be possible. also, on zipzoomfly.com they have a MB+CPU package with a SLI 2000Mhz FSB AMD 64 MB and a 64 3500+ CPU for under 500 bucks - check it out

#9 Edie

Edie

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

@Skylineboy can you tell me which proccessor is the fastest??? unsure.gif huh.gif

#10 Skylineboy

Skylineboy

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:36 AM

Its a very very cool machine!!I saw it and i was very impressed.I like AMD but is too expensive and i dont know what cpu's they are(good or bad).That's why i am so careful.I want to take good think. smile.gif

#11 Skylineboy

Skylineboy

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:43 AM

@Edie the fastest cpu in my country is 3.800+ AMD in socket 939.

Edited by Skylineboy, 30 May 2005 - 08:43 AM.

#12 Edie

Edie

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:58 AM

Thanks

#13 Skylineboy

Skylineboy

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:31 PM

Which proccessor is the fastest in your country boys???

#14 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:05 PM

Currently, the fastest CPU available is the AMD64 FX-55. Hands down. The only area the Intels' have an advantage over the AMD is in video encoding. And I'm not sure if that's due to the design differences or due to optimizations in the software. Probably the former though, as video encoding doesn't have much chance for predictions to be wrong, so the longer pipeline is a boon to the Intel for a change. Though I find it hilarious that the P4's run all the way to 3.73GHz (P4EE) and the FX-55 is only 2.6GHz, but the FX-55 blows the Intel chips out of the water in almost everything. smile.gif

#15 Skylineboy

Skylineboy

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

I agree with you Jito463 now AMD is above from Intel but i want to believe that intel will do a step in front of AMD in a litlle time.Intel is used to these things!!

#16 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:57 PM

Actually AMD has always been playing catch up to intel, now it's reversed. Intell is trying to push the dual core chips out first, but if AMD can put two 64 chips on 1 die, I'd think that would totally blow intel's mind. I think AMD found the way to speed up Intell and is causing them to rush and their products arent getting the attention they need. I think Intell was waiting to go to the 64 bit chips as long as they could so they could squeeze every penny out of the 32 bit chips, but AMD dropped a bomb on them and pushed it out the door with fairly few bugs.

#17 Skylineboy

Skylineboy

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:49 AM

I read in a magazine today that intel working on something good and in a while they will release it!I read for AMD too,they will release a new processor in a few days but they didn't tell more details they want to do us a surprise!! cool.gif

#18 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 02:18 PM

They are both working on dual core processors, both are expected to be released this year. AMD says they are trying for late summer, Intel might be end of year till summer of next.

#19 Skylineboy

Skylineboy

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:34 PM

I think that dual core processors will be the best thing!!!But i read that will release them sooner!! wink.gif
To be sure i wiil check it to the net too.May be the magazine i read was wrong.
we will see!!! smile.gif

#20 arbitriter

arbitriter

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:13 PM

Nope, your mag was right. the AMD Opteron, and Intel Pentium D are both in beta right now and are planned for release within a month (at least for custom builds) sadly though, the latest dual cores are actually slower than a well built single core system. obviously this is because the software to utilize the tech is still being developed, but then thats they story of the computer industry's life.

I am curious as to why skyline would say AMD is more expensive. maybe its a regional thing. if you base cost vs. value though, AMD comes out way ahead, both in performance, as well as in Longevity and upgradeability

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users