Alcohol 120% and Piracy

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

Most variants of the 9550 are 128 bit memory interfaces, all of them have only 4 pixel pipelines. For some very stupid reason all the 9550SE's have only 64bit memory interfaces, so the SE wont perform like the regular would even at stock. A 9600XT still only has 4 pipelines and a 128 bit interface, but the core clock speeds are higher.

Core Clock Speed/ Memory Clock Speed

9550 250mhz/400mhz

9600XT 500mhz/600mhz

While that is a significant jump, how much did you end up paying for that 9600XT??? For about 180$ USD you can get this

Nvidia 6800 (plain or nilla), 256 bit memory interface, 128mb VRAM, 325/700mhz clock speeds, 12 pipelines (4 other software locked ones exist on the card, and can easily unlock to give you a 16 pipeline card).

Now you may say those clock speeds are pretty slow on the 6800, but the thing is the card doesnt have to run that fast when it has 4x the pipelines that the 9550-9700 did.

You may not wana dump that kinda cash ( I know I wouldnt in any computer that didnt have a PCI-E slot) but I just dont wana see you get suckered.

#22 Soundfx4

Soundfx4

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (2005 @ Nov 26 2005, 06:49 PM)
No, that doesnt mean that the new version of x64 alc will be out soon.

I have a PS2 to USB connector and play GTA:SA all the time on my PC with my PS2 controller.

It is my opinion that gaming is better on a PC then on a console, and whats more is that im entitled to that opinion. I have owend a nintendo (8-bit) SNES, gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, N64, Sega (16 bit) Sega CD, Sega 32x add on, sega game gear, Sega Saturn, Sony Playstation and PS2. I have also had 2-3 different computers in that time span (early 90's to present) and still like gaming more on a PC. Compare the number of hours and its no competetion. Just with the Madden series on PS1-PS2 I've invested over 2000 hours of gaming. The Final Fantasy series, 7-10, has taken up another 1500-2000 hours of gaming time. And those are a drop in the bucket of water of console games I own. I remember burning up an old 8-bit NES playing Hogans Alley and Wild Gunman.

Your takeing offense to peoples posts for no reason, their not stated to be facts, which you took them as.

I think you are the one that took my post the wrong way, as I took offense to no one. And of course I took them as facts, if someone says PC gaming is better then console gaming, then that is stated as a fact. You are supposed to say I like PC gaming better than console gaming, or as you stated, "in my opinion". I know, it should be obvious that it is an opinion, but there are people out there that really ARE that stubborn. You know the ones; those that refuse to compromise on anything, and say that this is better period. That's all I'm saying, and on top of that I was very specific about opinions, and never said that you aren't entitled to your opinion.

Btw, I'm curious if you understood what I was saying about windows and game controllers. Judging by what you said, I really couldn’t tell whether or not you knew what I was trying to say.

How well does that PS2 controller to PC adapter work anyway? I use an Xbox controller on my PC now, but I'm probably not going to be able to use that anymore because I don't think there are any x64 drivers for it, or any PC gaming controller for that matter. Also do you happen to know ANY way to get around the annoying fact that windows doesn’t recognize analog buttons? That drives me absolutely crazy. I’m sure you know that the PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 all support pressure sensitive buttons, and so do the games, but the only thing even close to analog buttons on a PC are Axis’s. And if you want a button mapped to an axis, the driver for your controller has to support it. And even worse still, but obvious, the game has to support using an Axis for certain functions, and most games only allow a certain few functions to be controlled by an axis. The reason this annoys me is because in GTA SA there are many different vehicles that you can control that almost have to have some sort of pressure sensitivity control. For example, the accelerator in GTA SA; in windows you are either flooring it, or not hitting the gas at all, while in the Xbox and PS2 versions you can choose how hard you want to hit the gas.

And of course you have Microsoft, and the game developers to blame for that. I would choose PC gaming hands down, even with all the crashes, if games had better support for controllers. But for now the best games for me on a PC are FPS. I can’t play FPS with a joystick, but a lot of people can somehow, and they are good at it too.

#23 Soundfx4

Soundfx4

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (Combiseries @ Nov 27 2005, 08:39 AM)
With regards to emulation, and the frame rates you get with them.  For one thing, what is the XBOX but an overrated PC.  It uses a Celeron processor, the other parts inside are cheap also.  You pay over the odds for it.  You can even install Linux on the thing if you know how.

When emulation gets better, with better software and better PCs and better programming techniques you won`t be able to tell the difference.

Again, what would be the point when PC games are better anyway.

I traded in my Playstation2 so I could get a PC.  I am well happy and I will never look back to consoles.

On another note,  anyone want to buy a cheap Radeon 9550?

I know an Xbox is a PC, and is based on the x86 platform. Which is why you can run Linux on it with little modifying to the x86 Linux kernel. Actually I'm not sure how much modification was made to the x86 Linux kernel to make it perform well on the Xbox, but I do know that the Xbox IS x86, so I don't think it could have been too much. You still need to remember that Xbox emulators are, in fact, emulators, and as such, perform poorly. That's just how emulation is, although it will get better as time goes on.

Also I have to ask, do you care nothing about game controls? Don't you know about pressure sensitivity? And how consoles are the only gaming machines that fully support it? Don't you care that windows, and windows games don't work with analog buttons?

Also, be careful what you say, you can not say, "PC games are better anyway", because that is your opinion, not a fact.

Obviously you can say anything you want, but saying it that way isn't right.

Edited by Soundfx4, 29 November 2005 - 06:40 AM.

#24 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:41 AM

Well this has gone a tad off topic, moving to off topic forum.

Please be aware that the comments in this thread are opinions of members and are not there to incite flame wars. Each member is entitled to their own opinion but should it get out of hand, the thread will be closed.

#25 Combiseries

Combiseries

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Soundfx4 @ Nov 29 2005, 07:49 AM)
QUOTE (Combiseries @ Nov 27 2005, 08:39 AM)
With regards to emulation, and the frame rates you get with them.  For one thing, what is the XBOX but an overrated PC.  It uses a Celeron processor, the other parts inside are cheap also.  You pay over the odds for it.  You can even install Linux on the thing if you know how.

When emulation gets better, with better software and better PCs and better programming techniques you won`t be able to tell the difference.

Again, what would be the point when PC games are better anyway.

I traded in my Playstation2 so I could get a PC.  I am well happy and I will never look back to consoles.

On another note,  anyone want to buy a cheap Radeon 9550?

I know an Xbox is a PC, and is based on the x86 platform. Which is why you can run Linux on it with little modifying to the x86 Linux kernel. Actually I'm not sure how much modification was made to the x86 Linux kernel to make it perform well on the Xbox, but I do know that the Xbox IS x86, so I don't think it could have been too much. You still need to remember that Xbox emulators are, in fact, emulators, and as such, perform poorly. That's just how emulation is, although it will get better as time goes on.

Also I have to ask, do you care nothing about game controls? Don't you know about pressure sensitivity? And how consoles are the only gaming machines that fully support it? Don't you care that windows, and windows games don't work with analog buttons?

Also, be careful what you say, you can not say, "PC games are better anyway", because that is your opinion, not a fact.

Obviously you can say anything you want, but saying it that way isn't right.

Yes, that is my opinion. I know it is not a fact. And no I don`t care about analogue or pressure sensitive buttons or pads. All I care about is actually getting a go on the computer to play games if my wife lets me.....

#26 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:40 AM

I've played a lot of console systems. N64, SNES, NES and even the good, old Intellivision (anyone remember those?), and those are just the consoles I owned myself. But none of them compare to PC gaming imo. Once I went PC, I never looked back. Sure, I hooked up my consoles from time to time, but never for long. The PC always called me back. I haven't touched a console system in probably 5 years or so.

And just so Soundfx4 doesn't feel insulted again, yes that is my opinion.

#27 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Jito463)
even the good, old Intellivision (anyone remember those?)

Marvellous! I had never thought that someone could even have named it.

Oh, yes, I do. Do mean the one with fairly long, rectangular game controllers? I remember the controller has no joy stick, but a wide, round, flat button with a fixed point in the middle of the circle, and is pressed at the edge of it.

My aunt gave it to me as a present with several games including horse racing and space monsters shooting. I loved them very much. You remind me of my remembrance... smile.gif

Edited by MaLing, 30 November 2005 - 07:31 AM.

#28 Combiseries

Combiseries

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:01 AM

Jito463, you are right on the button.

#29 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:09 PM

Yep, it had the replaceable inserts for each game, so the controller had a unique interface depending on the game you were playing. My favorite was always "BurgerTime", heh.

#30 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:49 AM

I watched all about that thing on the show ICONs, oddly enough pong indirectly gave it the support it needed. Its funny how the person came up with the idea.

#31 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:41 AM

The machine can be looked for nowhere, I can even not remember when I disposed it...

#32 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:49 PM

Jito, you and I are on the same line. I had the Intellivision as well, I also had the Atari 2600, Nintendo, SNES, Playstation, The robot that came with Gyromite, the game pad and glove for Nintendo, I have also grown up with Apple, Apple 2E, 386 CPU's, 486's, turbo chips for the 486, the original Pentiums, and I think the few things for me are I cant get a fast clean headshot with a controller like I can with a mouse. I'll snipe you day and night with my mouse but give me a controller and I need heavy weapons and lots of armor.

imo, pc's evolve better then consoles, and faster. Consoles may be better right now, but for the time it takes for Microsoft to fix this crashing bug in the new 360's 3 new video cards will come out dual core cpu's drop in price, and you can buy the Pc Gamer Dream Rig for under $1500 USD.

#33 Combiseries

Combiseries

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

I wish I had $1500. I could buy a gaming laptop for work.

#34 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

I wish I had $1500. I could buy a gaming laptop for work.

Well the one I have priced to go over at Alienware is for a little over $3000 USD, but it would pull double duty as a gaming machine and a work machine.

#35 Combiseries

Combiseries

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:23 PM

Phhheeewwwwwww.

$3000

How much is that in english pounds?

A LOT.

Some people have money to BURRRNNNN.

#36 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE (Combiseries @ Dec 6 2005, 02:35 PM)
Phhheeewwwwwww.

$3000

How much is that in english pounds?

A LOT.

Some people have money to BURRRNNNN.

According to www.xe.com/ucc it's 1,726.46 pounds.

#37 Combiseries

Combiseries

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:18 AM

There is no way my wife would allow me to spend that much money on a computer.
And back on to the subject of Piracy.

Does anyone remember a company callled 321 studios and their ill fated Games X Copy program. It claimed to be compatible with all kinds of copy protection and would even tackle new technology with ease. Well, I bought a copy and found it quite good, it would back up some games onto disk and was pretty good at running from a virtual drive. Having a look inside program files I was surprised to find that it just used Daemon Tools.

They were undergoing some huge campagn for fair rights to make backups and were constantly in court for producing software which would break copy protection.

What I would like to know is, how is it that Alcohol can survive so long without all that banter in the courts.
Did Alcohol ever get any attention from them and how did they avoid it?

Does anyone know what really happened to 321Studios and was that GamesXCopy really any good.

What does other people think?

Do you like Coffee?

#38 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:50 AM

how is it that Alcohol can survive so long without all that banter in the courts.

From what I have heard is that German's law is different from America's. 321 Studios was registered in America if I am not wrong. That makes the difference.

Obvisouly I do not know the answer at all, but I should guess yes. I believe that Alcohol always receives much pressure from various ways, and needs to put a lot and a lot of effort on that to continue providing the application, but users still complain lacking of this and that... huh.gif Anyway, whether I am right or wrong, in my humble opinion, it should not be a topic to discuss openly and we should respect this as a secret of Alcohol.

Does anyone know what really happened to 321Studios

Shut down after losing the case in court.

Do you like Coffee?

Only if you invite me.

#39 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:17 PM

The reason 321 Studios went out of business is not because of thier Games X Copy program, it's because of their DVD X Copy program which removed the CSS encryption from DVD's. Since removing or bypassing encryption is considered illegal in many places, they were sued and had to close up shop.

#40 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 04:23 PM

There gaming program didnt cause them the issues, it was like Jito said, the DVD software. They got hit hard and used all their resorces to fight the battle and it took the whole company down. Also when the lost their battle the first time, they were required to remove the part of the software that removed the CSS protection and sell a "neutered" version. Once they tried to pass it off, people didnt want to pay for something that wouldnt do what they wanted and they could get what they wanted online for free.

From what I have heard is that German's law is different from America's. 321 Studios was registered in America if I am not wrong. That makes the difference.

Not quite. see the above. Alcohol doesnt change or alter the protection so it does not violate EULA rules. The protection is emulated when it cannot be copied.

What I would like to know is, how is it that Alcohol can survive so long without all that banter in the courts.

They abide by the EULA and make sure what they put out is legal software. They do not offer support for illegal use of it and do not condone illegal acts. So the companies can try to stir the pot but all they can do for now is make noise, since alcohol covers it self very well and does not give reasons to the companies to get a court date.

There is no way my wife would allow me to spend that much money on a computer.

Yeah my wife wont let me either right now, but I always have one priced and ready to go for when I get the green light. That should be in about a year or so I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users