5 replies to this topic

#1 The Pezman

The Pezman

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

So I know that .mds and .mdf is Alcohol's proprietary format, meant to encourage users to keep using Alcohol after they've made an image. And I know that sometimes Alcohol will only let me create a disc image in said format. So...

1. Under what circumstances would I be able to rip a new image (or convert an existing one) to a different format?

2. I see that both an .mdf and .mds file are created every time I create a new image from a game. But while the .mdf image seems to contain the data, the .mds file seems to act as a shortcut of sorts, since it seems I can only mount the .mds instead of the .mdf. For archival purposes, this is somewhat inconvenient, since there are twice as many icons are there are actual games. Anyway that the creation and storage of the .mds file could happen and function behind the scenes?

3. How does one create a "Mini Image?"

#2 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

Normally, a system report is required before help is provided. Since this isn't specifically an Alcohol question, I'll give you the links to the information you requested. Please keep in mind the SysRep requirement for in the future.

QUOTE (The Pezman @ Aug 11 2006, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Under what circumstances would I be able to rip a new image (or convert an existing one) to a different format?

http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=22146

2. I see that both an .mdf and .mds file are created every time I create a new image from a game. But while the .mdf image seems to contain the data, the .mds file seems to act as a shortcut of sorts, since it seems I can only mount the .mds instead of the .mdf. For archival purposes, this is somewhat inconvenient, since there are twice as many icons are there are actual games. Anyway that the creation and storage of the .mds file could happen and function behind the scenes?

MDS contains special information necessary to recreate the copy protection when burning back to a disc or running from the virtual drive. It is both necessary and important and is more than a mere shortcut. There is no getting around this (note that many images have two or more files for this very reason, cue/bin, ccd/img/bin, etc). If there is no copy protection on the disc, you can delete the MDS file and rename the MDF file to ISO.

3. How does one create a "Mini Image?"

We do not support mini-images. You'll have to look elsewhere for that information.

#3 The Pezman

The Pezman

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

I followed the instructions to create a system report, but when I clicked "Report to support team" I got the following error message:

Calling of MapiSendMail API has failed!
Undocumented error message, code: 0X80004005

I have no idea what that means.

Since I can't file a report, I'm just going to explain my problem here. I tried to create an image of Myst III: Exile. Since it's Safedisc protected, I should be able to create an .mds, a .ccd, a .cue, or an .iso. But once I insert the disc and open the image making wizard, not only do I not get to specify the correct type of copy protection, but I don't have the option to create anything other than an .mds.

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

@The Pezman

As you have been a user of the support forum since 21-August 05 you must by now have used our trial versions for some time, if you are a purchased user i suggest you apply for access to the purchased user section of the support forum. http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=23801

you can copy and paste a system report directly into your post.

#5 The Pezman

The Pezman

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:33 PM

Ahhh, sorry. Forgot about this post for a good while.

I saw that thing with the greater accessibility, but it said, as part of its message, "for those who don't have a forum account." Since I already do, I wasn't really sure how to react to it.

#6 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

What Phoenix is saying is that you have had member status for quite some time, but you do not have customer status, therefore if you are a purchased user you should apply for it using the link he provided.

This entitles you to priority support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users