• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

The protection of everyone's username and password is his/her own responsibility... and duty. huh.gif

#22 Rivendell

Rivendell

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hi pp, i dont post very often at all despite purchasing this useful peice of software,

but this caught my eye

Ok its true file leaks do and will happen to almost any peice of software thats of use to the gaming community to prove "hey im big i cracked the new alcohol" yeah take a look on the top piracy site i know that i wont link to here i searched it found ev version of alcohol 120% from before i bought it even whilst i dont agree to piracy and related leaked sofware and stuff some people may unwittingly have a key logger viri like i had for my credit card details, before i knew otherwise my card was being used in france while i was in the bank...sorting it out (got the money back)

i say good show to the alcohol team for looking out and protecting our intrests and purchases in a effort to increase the benifit to its "legitimate users" why should the whole deveploment have to stop just to chase down these "leakers"
we all suffer in the end though so again thnx for keeping us paid legit users happy once more

Rivendell

#23 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

Development never stopped and the method used to track these leakers was developed concurrently. When the only way to get the retail version of Alcohol is to log in and download it, it means that one or more of Alcohol-Soft's customers had to be giving their retail version to less desireables... Kudos to Alcohol-Soft in taking action.

#24 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:37 PM

There was at least one person who posted on a popular warez site that his account was closed, just to give you an idea of how effective the operation was. These aren't innocent victims of someone stealing their login, these are people who knowingly and willingly violated the TOS that they agreed to when they purchased and downloaded Alcohol.

#25 randomevent

randomevent

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

I gotta add my three cents here, because I hate pennies so you can have em

I don't steal any software at all. But, I admit to having done it a lot when I was under 16. Also, I had a copy of Windows 2000 illegally past that.

I don't like that in the slightest, obviously, but it did happen. Legal means of acquisition are just not easy to spend money on when you're younger and just don't have the cash, or are having issues and having a hard time caring.

Obviously that's not a terribly good excuse, but aside from the people just being asshats, a lot of piracy seems to be tied to lack of financial control.

As I said I don't steal any software anymore, and I won't even consider it, but at least to the degree that younger people do it I can understand it.

As for Alcohol, well I do have two OSes on this comp and it keeps getting harder to use in both, but I don't mind anyone protecting their interests. I keep wondering when anti DRM 'crusaders' are going to bitch about people/businesses who lock their doors, put up security cameras, or use alarm systems. wink.gif

Edited by randomevent, 31 January 2007 - 11:29 AM.

#26 swen966

swen966

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Nov 25 2006, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<non official mode>

I believe people that purchase software with the intent of leaking it to the warez seen are worse than the actual people who download it. I can't think of one valid reason why anyone would do this as you're only hurting yourself and other customers. Instead of improving the software, companies such as Alcohol-Soft have to spend time trying to combat this problem all because a breach of trust and contractual obligations.

I say Kudos Alcohol-Soft for taking an active role in protecting your customers and software.

</non official mode>

I think it's Great that you caught these A-holes. That's what has made it so hard on us honest consumers who 'buy' our software. Alcohol 120 is a very good program and I hope to see more improvements and upgrades in the future. I hope
you prosecute them for giving out this software! I'm sick of all this copy protection and the problems it causes.... however, I
do see why everyone has to protect their software.
I will say that Alcohol 120 (latest version) is the Only Software Backup program that works like it's advertised.

#27 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:13 PM

Copy protection IMHO is to keep honest people honest. You can still widely and freely find methods to acquire and use the latest version of alcohol without spending a single dime, although I am a paid user and think the softwares worth every penny.

If someone can have something for free, and convince themselves there's nothing wrong with using it and not paying for it, then they will. There is really little alcohol software can do to completely annihilate the piracy of their software, but takeing the steps they have will keep most people honest.

#28 dualchart

dualchart

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:53 PM

evil crackers they all must die

some point in time (WE HOPE)

it was worth every Dollar buying this software

sure beats Deamon Tools " Alot more options and a more butiful Interface

so keep it up guys i want more tongue.gif

#29 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:57 PM

Welcome DualChart! smile.gif

Huuummm..... In fact, Daemon-Tools and Alcohol can be described as sisters companies. tongue.gif

#30 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:08 AM

While they are seperate entities, Alcohol uses the same virtual drives from DTools, and they share at least one developer between them. By supporting Alcohol, in a way you are also supporting Daemon Tools. Welcome to the forums.

#31 SteveDu

SteveDu

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:02 PM

There is a Chinese proverb saying, "An inch of justice, a foot of evil."

I've been dealing with somewhat "backbone" of the scene (FTP/FXP site level) in the past. Honestly, I still do, but only to a limited amount and only the "dumping" function.

Not that I take advantages of them but I believe if the product worth the developers' time and my money, then I should purchase it. I do, I did and I will keep doing too. Alcohol is just one of many software I purchased despite the scene releases are everywhere and within the reach.

The source of the releases is only a matter of time that will being resolved in the scene. Eventually they will figure them out. Just look at Microsoft and their activations. XP is proven to be a failure, Vista is holding up but it won't be too long.

Tell you a real life Vista activation horror story. The copy of Business upgrade I purchased asks me to reactivate after an official Microsoft Update due to a "hardware change". Funny thing is, there are no hardware change. Talk about paranoid.

Anti-piracy is a problem with everybody. I've taken some intellectual property law classes, and many things can be answered with ease, it is surprising too. You can come up with something new but eventually they'll figure it out. By the mean time, defensive is the best offensive. And don't blame on the society :P We all know it's not a perfect world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users