famreeks

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

Have original thread here. new propblem though now:-

http://forum.alcohol...mp;#entry126279

New problem

Sims 2 expansion will install from the alcohol image file when mounted but will not install from the backup CD that was burned after the image made.

I get the Sims flash screen pop up but it dissaperas and the I get the <S error report.

I have tried running the CD in both the Burner and ROM CD/DVD players.

Is there a setting that the CD should have been burned with?
Under emulation I only have 'launch burning features' checked. IN extra emulation I have only 'bad sectors' checked
Mike

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

Did you use the Safedisk 2/3/4 datatype when making your backup copy( I suppose you have the latest Alcohol's trial version)?

#3 famreeks

famreeks

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Dec 30 2006, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you use the Safedisk 2/3/4 datatype when making your backup copy( I suppose you have the latest Alcohol's trial version)?

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did have the Safedisk 234 selected. and latest trial version.

nothng to do with the 'ignore media type' not being checked in emulation? is that for playing and not burning?

I have tried checking it post burning and playng my CD's then but does not make a difference as they still do not play from the CD's only the image.
Mike

#4 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:43 PM

Ignore Media Type is needed for playing from a cd-r(w) / dvd-/+r(w). Bad Sector Emulation should be checked too.

What copy protection is being used and what VERSION of it?

#5 famreeks

famreeks

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (ptolomeus3 @ Dec 30 2006, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ignore Media Type is needed for playing from a cd-r(w) / dvd-/+r(w). Bad Sector Emulation should be checked too.

What copy protection is being used and what VERSION of it?

I made a workable image file and install / play from image using virtual alcohol drive.

BUT the actual CD's burned from the image file do not work either to install or play from. I made image with Safedisk 2/3/4 and did not have 'bad sector' or 'ignore media type' selected when making image NOR when burning CD's.

Is that the problem?? Should I burn the CD's from image with these cehck boxes seleted?
Mike

#6 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:28 AM

Hello Mike,

No, no need for that. Ignore Media Type and Bad Sector Emulation is only needed when using your backup cd! It doesn´t help when using your image. However, making working backups on cd or dvd of SafeDisc protected games is very difficult and Hardware dependent, especially after SafeDisc v2.9x

Did you try playing from the cd after the game was installed from you image? Some games are pricky, they want to be played from the drive they where installed from!

#7 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

I get the Sims flash screen pop up but it dissaperas and then I get the <S error report.

What does this error report say exactly? Are you always and still getting the same error report when trying to install from or play with your backup CD?
Also you can try making your image with the "Enable Week Sector Scaner during dumping" setting enable in the Alcohol's reading options and then burning it to a CD using the same Safedisk 2/3/4 profile( by the way do you also use it when burning the image?).

#8 famreeks

famreeks

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (ptolomeus3 @ Dec 31 2006, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Mike,

No, no need for that. Ignore Media Type and Bad Sector Emulation is only needed when using your backup cd! It doesn´t help when using your image. However, making working backups on cd or dvd of SafeDisc protected games is very difficult and Hardware dependent, especially after SafeDisc v2.9x

Did you try playing from the cd after the game was installed from you image? Some games are pricky, they want to be played from the drive they where installed from!

I have tried to play game that image and copy was made using sfaedisk 2/3/4 , from the CD and the CD brings up the start of sims 2 pets splash screen but then dissapears and the MS error window' The sims 2 EP4 has encounterered a problem and needs to close...."

I have tried to run the cd from both the burner and player drives. If I place in the Burner CD drive I get the ' Cannot locate the CD -ROM' error. 'please eject and re-insert the CD ROM, se;elct OK and restart the application".

MIke

#9 famreeks

famreeks

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Dec 31 2006, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get the Sims flash screen pop up but it dissaperas and then I get the <S error report.

What does this error report say exactly? Are you always and still getting the same error report when trying to install from or play with your backup CD?
Also you can try making your image with the "Enable Week Sector Scaner during dumping" setting enable in the Alcohol's reading options and then burning it to a CD using the same Safedisk 2/3/4 profile( by the way do you also use it when burning the image?).

Please refer my response to ptolomeus3 that answers some of your questions. The game plays fine when using the image to run under virtual drive - no CD used-.I installed from the image fine as well. Just cannot play from the burned backup CD's. I did burn with safedisk 2/3/4 selected.

Mike

#10 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:09 AM

I have tried to play game that image and copy was made using sfaedisk 2/3/4 , from the CD and the CD brings up the start of sims 2 pets splash screen but then dissapears and the MS error window' The sims 2 EP4 has encounterered a problem and needs to close...."
So it is an application error, which makes it improbable to be related to the copy protection itself. I had a similar problem with the Safedisk copy protected Chessmaster 10th Edition( It crashed when I tried to play it again with the mounted image without rebooting) which was solved with Alcohol 1.9.6.4629 with the SPTD 1.35 version. Perhaps you should also stick with your working image untill a newer version of Alcohol solves the problem. However you can still try that:

Also you can try making your image with the "Enable Week Sector Scaner during dumping" setting enabled in the Alcohol's reading options and then burning it to a CD using the same Safedisk 2/3/4 profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users