And yes i do own the orginal disks !

ANY HELP WITH THANKS !

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

What is it an image of and how did you make it (ie: settings you used inside Alcohol).

Have you scanned the disc or the installation directory with Protection ID to work out what protection exists?

Have you tried writing it without rpms data?

#3 Trial User_Trial User_robert_*_*

Trial User_Trial User_robert_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:23 AM

It is an image of uk-info v11 from 192.com

everything was working fine and the image would write successfully until I set up a new system i.e. new motherboard cpu memory, it seems every option I use in alcohol the writing procedure hangs

I have been to the mother board manufactures web site and taken all the latest updates and done clean installations of vista I have also tried different writers but keep getting the same result

you can read normally from the drive under windows as it is the drive I use for the main installation of the operating system (vista)

the motherboard is an asus P5B-VM DO

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion the motherboard is duff, unless you know of any problems with them

Any help with mush thanks!

#4 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:33 AM

You need to work out what protection exists on the original and select the correct datatype from within Alcohol. Use Protection ID for this and scan the original CD. If nothing is found then scan the installation directory where the program is installed to. There maybe no rpms data in the image and therefore it could be the reason why it fails to write.

Also try using a CDRW (so you don't waste a cd) and the normal cd profile to see what happens.

#5 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:43 AM

Did you perform a fresh install of Windows when you changed motherboards?

#6 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:57 AM

yes ... clean install of vista

#7 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

Previously you had Windows XP or Vista installed?

#8 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

the plot thickens !

i had neither it was and is a new drive sata (for the boot device) and ide for the storage (image) i have now returned the motherboard and replaced it with an abit and it is doing the same thing !

#9 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:37 PM

What DMA Mode are your drives running in?

#10 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:12 AM

dma enabled on all drives

#11 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:21 AM

Have you tried mounting the image in the Virtual Drive to see if its corrupt?

#12 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

Hi

The image mounts fine in alcohol and you can burn it with other writing software (Nero) it also mounts using damon tools I have now done yet another clean install of vista and am having the same problems could it be the chipset on the MB? this is the second one I have tried the first being an Asus and this one being an Abit I have now tried yet another writer and am getting the same problems ...so in alcohol you can create an image of the disk you can mount it the protection emulation works (if you use disks written on my other PC) but for some reason alcohol will not write!

It is not the writers they work fine in the other pc running vista......

thanks for any help in advance !!

I have tried two mother boards three wirters and diffrent sets of cables below is the latest log

{System report removed - Jito463}

#13 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:41 AM

Try changing the Device Control in Alcohol from Default to Windows.

#14 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

Hi

Nope that will not work either !

i have replaced the ide dvd drive with a sata one and changed the settings to windows sometimes it works sometimes it dont ! some times the dvd drive just spins and the light flashes and you cant stop it, alcohol stops responding the drive is locked out and you have to reboot !

#15 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:27 PM

Still on going !

i have checked in the computer managemnt file and found the follwing

Windows Operating System
ID: 51
Source: cdrom
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

i have tested the memory (ram) to the best of my abilty by inserting the vista install disk and selecting the memory test option this comes back ok

form what i have manged to google the other option is the psu but this is a 400w and the main board only needs 300w am i barking up the wrong tree ??

thanks

#16 Trial User_guest_*

Trial User_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:30 AM

I am having the same problem. Alcohol will make an image but it has problems when I try to burn it. I am also running Vista. It will mount and run fine so the image is good. I can burn it with other programs but not Alcohol.

#17 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:09 AM

I am still trying to woork out what is happening

thr MB i am using is a Abit F-190HD the other one i trued wa an Asus P5B-VM DO both uisn 4x 512 memory sticks (Corsair)

#18 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

i have just tried a new 1000w psu still no joy !

#19 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:22 PM

I am having the same problem. Alcohol will make an image but it has problems when I try to burn it. I am also running Vista. It will mount and run fine so the image is good. I can burn it with other programs but not Alcohol.

http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=23848

@OP

Its possible it may be an image error. Is the image freely downloadable so I can give it a shot? Do you require a special driver to get your IDE/SATA drives working? If so, are you running the latest?

#20 Trial User_Guest_*

Trial User_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:21 AM

After a bit of googleing I found the answer.....you would have thought the good peole at alcohol would have known this!!!!!

Note on motherboards with P965/ICH8R chipset and JMicron IDE/eSATA controller: For some reason Intel didn't include IDE support on the ICH8R southbridge, mobo manufacturers have included a 3rd party IDE/SATA controller chip to enable IDE support, chips used are VIA, Silicon Image or JMicron. Some boards (Gigabyte & Abit mainly) with the JMicron chip are having a couple of problems.
If SATA RAID is enabled on the ICH8R chipset, the JMicron chip then does not recognise any drives connected to it IDE or SATA, which is a big hassle as it's the only way to connect an IDE DVD/CD on these boards, there may be a BIOS fix on the way, but in the meantime it is impossible to have RAID and and IDE device at the same time. Alternative solution is to disable the JMicron controller in BIOS and install a SATA DVD/CD drive on the ICH8R (although not a cheap Lite-On one as these don't play very well with the ICH8R!), this works out more expensive, but it works.
Second problem is that IDE devices default to PIO mode (rather than DMA, hence are slower,) this is another BIOS or driver fix needed, but can be overcome by installing the JMicron RAiD drivers during XP install (i.e. with F6), although you are not RAIDing any devices it seems to allow DMA to work.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users