Mode 2 Form 2 Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Trial User_dkkaczy_*

Trial User_dkkaczy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

Alcohol version is v1.9.6.5429 Trial
Alcohol Sector Scanner Fails To Detect Mode 2 Form 2 on for ex. Playstation CD causing corrupted audio in FMV and Cut Scence. Alcohol Sector Scanner says these sectors are Mode 2 Form 1 sectors with damaged EDC and ECC fields. Image made by Alcohol got many errors, I think Alcohol changes EDC and ECC fields trying to repair miss-detected Mode 2 Form 1 sector. Mounted image is readable, but veryyyy slow cause of many EDC errors. Trying to convert that image to *.BIN/CUE or *.IMG/CCD results in NO audio at all [all Mode 2 Form 2 sectors are purged, and filled with 00 00 00 (...)] . Maybe Alcohol is changing these Form 2 sectors into Form 1 sectors... du no...

How should I configure Alcohol 120% to successfully detect Mode 2 Form 2 sectors?

Greets and thanks in advance!
d.k.

#2 Trial User_dkkaczy_*

Trial User_dkkaczy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

I forgot to add.
This problems refers to devices:
(E:) LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S (atapi, Port 1, Bus 0, Target 0, Lun 0)
(G:) WJ5151M CJE973P (amcm90hn, Port 3, Bus 0, Target 0, Lun 0) - daemon virtual
(H:) WJ5151M CJE973P (amcm90hn, Port 3, Bus 0, Target 1, Lun 0) - daemon virtual
As I remember the same problem goes to Alcohol Virtual Drive.

This problem does not refers only to CloneCD Virtual.... cause it is not accessible through Sector Viewers of all kind of soft -.- .

And I was talkin about CDRWIN v4.0 in previous post.

Counting on your help my fine Alcohol Support Team! = )

#3 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

I have removed your System Report after reviewing it, thanks. Have you tried using the Playstation/Playstation 2 profiles? I don't own one, but I know many others have sucessfully made backups of their PSX/PS2 games using Alcohol.

#4 Trial User_dkkaczy_*

Trial User_dkkaczy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Yes I have tried Playstation Profile (I think it only changes 'markers' on checkboxes, it doesnt change 'main' Alcohol behaviour, selecting Custom profile with the same checkboxes marked result in the exactly same behaviour, isnt it ?)

Anyway not all Playstation CDs are the same.
some are Data Track [Mode 2 Form 1] + 'pure' Audio Tracks [RAW]
some are Data Track [Mode 2 Form 1] + 'dummy' Audio Track (somehow connected with ZNULL.DAT dummy file on Data Track...)
and finally
some are Data Track [Mode 2 Mixed mode == Mode 2 Form 1 sectors + Mode 2 Form 2 sectors ] (this format can again go with 'pure' and 'dummy' Audio Track/Tracks or just as standalone Data Track)

Variety of PSX CD format could explain why:
QUOTE (Jito463 @ Sep 9 2007, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
many others have sucessfully made backups of their PSX/PS2 games using Alcohol.

but few have failed...

I other words, I have successfully made a backup... but image is VERY poor quality, and is not the exact copy of orginal media. When you MOUNT it, it doesnt even remaind a 'near' copy...
I think the problem refers only to PSX CDs that contains Data Track in Mode 2 'Mix mode' (Form 1 + Form 2).
Alcohol somehow scans (I think beginnind of data track) and after finding sectors that match Mode 2 Form 1, it presuppose that whole track is Mode 2 Form 1! So it totally ignore existence of tracks build in Mode 2 'Mix mode'!!! This is my opinion after couple of tests I made. It could not be correct....

If we made alcohol Image of such 'Mix mode' media, and then MOUNT it in Alcohol Virtual Drive we can take a closer look in Sector scanner.
Browsing (previously Mode 2 Form 2 sectors) will now show a strange thing... here:
CDRWIN sector scanner shows:

Alcohol sector scanner shows:

..... now have a look at orginal media in sector scanner
CDRWIN sector scanner shows:

Alcohol sector scanner shows:

Now you can see that Alcohol don't recognize Mode 2 Form 2... And after MOUNTING such Alcohol made image, Alcohol ALTERS all Mode 2 Form 2 sectors to Mode 2 Form 1 sectors, making them UNREADABLE.... Thats why sector scan on mounted image fails.

And the last strange thing.... after a couple of more tests I have found that... BURNED Aclohol image is 'ALMOST EXACT'! copy of original media... The question is now - why it is not when MOUNTED?... After a while I come to conclusion that it uses different schemes when burning and different when mounting.. I think
- When it BURNS cd it just burn byte by byte till it reaches the end of the image. (So the image is almost exact copy)
- When you MOUNT it must use some kind of metadata (maybe stored in *.mfs file? du no you are the alcohol developer so you should know ; ] ) that metadata must store (WRONG!) track format, and the Virtual Drive must takes all the info about the image from such (corrupted) metadata...

FINAL CONCLUSION: I think there are two bugs in Alcohol.
- One is that it cant recognize Mode 2 Form 2 (in sector scanner) even from original media, and thats why alcohol makes corrupted metafile/metadata (wchih corrupt image when mounted)
- corrupted metadata makes mounted images to error, making them for ex impossible to run from Virtual Drive, or impossible to convert (for various reasons) without errors to other format such as BIN, IMG, or whatever [using UltraISO, or re-riping image from virtual drive)... so to convert we must first burn it on real media and then rip it again in other format ... -.- this is only lose of time and money.. and make no sense...

ALL THESE INFORMATION MAY BE WRONG.... I Am NOT 100% SURE OF WHAT I FOUND DURING MY TESTS... KEEP THIS IN MIND AND DONT BLAME ME IF I AM WRONG = ) [maybe I just missed some option in Alcohol.... so just help me to find how to read correctly Mode 2 Form 2 in alcohol, and make good READY TO MOUNT AND USE 'image' smile.gif

Done.... so what is your opinion?

#5 Trial User_dkkaczy_*

Trial User_dkkaczy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

and btw
I have no problem with VCD, they also got Mode 2 Form 1 Tracks, and Mode 2 Form 2 Track, but in my VCD contains only one Mode per Track
For example
Track01 - Mode 2 Form 1
Track02 - Mode 2 Form 2
Track03 - Mode 2 Form 2
(...) ect,
so here Alcohol detects Mode 2 Form 2

Problem comes when we have one Track with mixed modes like:
Track01 - Mode 2 Form 1 + Mode 2 Form 2
Then Alcohol treats whole Track01 as a Mode 2 Form 1 :<

#6 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:08 PM

As I have no experience with Playstation discs, for all I know this could be normal behaviour. In any case, I've asked one of the devs to look into it when they get a chance.

#7 marryanne

marryanne

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:03 AM

Ive also tried using alcohol 120, nothing seems to be able to copy dvds.
Digital output (IEC958) on port 2 Supported: No Mode 1 Form 2: Yes:
Please check the log file and report any errors to Technical Support.

make money online

#8 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:07 AM

Ive also tried using alcohol 120, nothing seems to be able to copy dvds.
Digital output (IEC958) on port 2 Supported: No Mode 1 Form 2: Yes:
Please check the log file and report any errors to Technical Support.

make money online

Please post your system report from within Alcohol, as requested by the trial forum guidelines. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users