#1 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hi

I have many Game disks I want to backup so I installed a trial of Alcohol 120%, but when I start Copy wizard the Data Type dropdown is not there, so I cannot enter the relevant details that need to be entered there.

Any ideas what has gone wrong?

thanks

#2 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

If your disc is DVD then no data type is requierd.

#3 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Oct 24 2007, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If your disc is DVD then no data type is requierd.

Thanks, problem is the backup did not work, when I put the DVD into the drive and clicked on the game shortcut
but I got a message to insert the original disk not the backup.

1) Is there a procedure to follow to backup copy protected game disks?
2) Is it possible that the backup will work for reinstalling the game if the originnal disk fails.

thanks

#4 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

Its possible you may need to use a free third party software called YASU you can download this from here http://www.free-down...t/programs/Yasu
This hides your drives from the software.

#5 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Oct 24 2007, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its possible you may need to use a free third party software called YASU you can download this from here http://www.free-down...t/programs/Yasu
This hides your drives from the software.

Hi

thanks for the link, but how does that work if the drive is hidden from the software, how will the game play if the drive cannot be found?

Sorry, but I am a complete novice and I do not want to waste my money and buy the program if I cannmot use it.

regards

#6 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:37 PM

It only hides it from the copy protection so it doesn't detect the virtual drive and throw a "Conflict with Disc Emulator" error.

#7 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Oct 24 2007, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It only hides it from the copy protection so it doesn't detect the virtual drive and throw a "Conflict with Disc Emulator" error.

Great, thanks for your help

regards

Daniel

#8 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:50 AM

I got a message to insert the original disk not the backup.

This is a typical message of SecuROM copy protection which is displayed when the image/drive used isn't authenticated as the "original" CD/DVD.
In order to make a working image of SecuROM you must use the "Data position measurment" option with high precision and maximum speed since the disk is a DVD( use minimum speed for CDs).
If you want to make a physical backup you must burn the image( after making sure that it works from the virtual drive- with the help of YASU if needed) with the RMPS data and activate the RMPS emulation in the Alcohol's emulation options before using it.

#9 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Oct 25 2007, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got a message to insert the original disk not the backup.

This is a typical message of SecuROM copy protection which is displayed when the image/drive used isn't authenticated as the "original" CD/DVD.
In order to make a working image of SecuROM you must use the "Data position measurment" option with high precision and maximum speed since the disk is a DVD( use minimum speed for CDs).
If you want to make a physical backup you must burn the image( after making sure that it works from the virtual drive- with the help of YASU if needed) with the RMPS data and activate the RMPS emulation in the Alcohol's emulation options before using it.

Okay, I may be getting somewhere but I am still totally confused by the terms and process used.

I have managed to create a vertual drive, how do I copy the DVD contents to it,
aand how do I use it when I have done that?

Is there a procedure written that I can follow?

thanks for any help

regards

Daniel

#10 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:06 PM

You don't copy the contents of a DVD to the virtual drive. When you follow the process you will end up with an image on your hard drive. You then mount the image you've just created on the virtual drive by right clicking on either the MDF or MDS file and selecting Mount Image from the context menu.

Once you've mounted the image it should startup (if Autorun is enabled) like any dvd/cd would. Treat the virtual drive as you would treat any CD / DVD drive in your system.

There are tutorials on making images in this section of the FAQ here: http://forum.alcohol...hp?showforum=97

#11 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Oct 25 2007, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't copy the contents of a DVD to the virtual drive. When you follow the process you will end up with an image on your hard drive. You then mount the image you've just created on the virtual drive by right clicking on either the MDF or MDS file and selecting Mount Image from the context menu.

Once you've mounted the image it should startup (if Autorun is enabled) like any dvd/cd would. Treat the virtual drive as you would treat any CD / DVD drive in your system.

There are tutorials on making images in this section of the FAQ here: http://forum.alcohol...hp?showforum=97

Thanks for yoiur help, I'll give it another go tonight and report back tomorrow.

regards

Daniel

#12 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for yoiur help, I'll give it another go tonight and report back tomorrow.

regards

Daniel
[/quote]

Hi

I tried to play the game after right click/mount but got an error, which I wrote down but forgot to bring with me,
I then tried to repair the installation thinking that would enable the use of the files on the virtual Drive to be used instead of the Disk in the DVD Drive but I got an Error 1335. corrupt CAB file.

I will uninstall the game tonight and reinstall it from the image files and see how it goes.

regards

Daniel

#13 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

[/quote]

Hi

I uninstalled the game then
I copied the DVD selecting MDS and ended up with a MDS and MDF file.

When I mount either file I get an option to install, the install process begins
and I enter the key the it accepts the key and it goes nopwhere, the install process does not
continue.

any idea what I am doing wrong?

thanls

Daniel

#14 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 01:21 AM

What options did you check when making the image?

How long did you wait for the process to start? Is it possible that it was unpacking or did it simply drop to the desktop?

#15 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Oct 24 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you use the 'Data Position Measurment"( or DPM) option as described above?

#16 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Oct 26 2007, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What options did you check when making the image?

How long did you wait for the process to start? Is it possible that it was unpacking or did it simply drop to the desktop?

Hi

I left it for about 90 minutes. There was no Install icon on my Task Bar.

cheers

Daniel

#17 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Oct 27 2007, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Charalambos @ Oct 24 2007, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you use the 'Data Position Measurment"( or DPM) option as described above?

Hi
Basically no!
I gave up trying to make a backup DVD, I am trying to install the game from an image on my hard drive and mounted to a virtual drive,
I think I will start again and go through all of the data.
How long does the trial version last? I need to get this right before I pay for the product and do the rest of my games,
but I am short of time at the moment.

thanks

Daniel

#18 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

The trial version lasts for 30 days.

Did you use the settings as described in here: http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=24649

It sounds like the wrong settings have been used to make the image and therefore the virtual drive cannot read from the image, similar to that when you scratch a CD disc and the drive cannot read from the CD.

#19 daniel123

daniel123

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Oct 27 2007, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The trial version lasts for 30 days.

Did you use the settings as described in here: http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=24649

It sounds like the wrong settings have been used to make the image and therefore the virtual drive cannot read from the image, similar to that when you scratch a CD disc and the drive cannot read from the CD.

hi

Probably not, I am getting confused.

I will give it a go and let you know.

Can I then burn the image to DVD and use that? If so is there a procedure?

thanks for your help and patience

regards

Daniel

#20 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (daniel123 @ Oct 27 2007, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I then burn the image to DVD and use that? If so is there a procedure?

Check the FAQ for information on DVD backups

http://support.alcoh...m protected DVD

http://support.alcoh... a Safedisc DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users