22 replies to this topic

#1 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

Okay, so about a couple of weeks ago, I made a .cdi, downloaded Alcohol 52%, and emulated it. It was mounted onto drive F: . Later, drive F: suddenly dissapered, but I paid it no mind since the .cdi still worked. Later, I must have accidentally deleted the Icon file in the .cdi, and decided to reinstall it. Yet, Alcohol apparently deleted drive F: on its own, and won't make a new drive. The only thing that shows up in the lower window of Alcohol is "My Computer." Clicking on it does no good, and when I make new drive(s) by "Options>Virtual Drives>Number of Virtul Drives," the drive(s) don't show up in the lower window, nor in the "My Computer" folder. They did before, though. The only place where I find the drives is in "Alcohol 52%>Device Manager," under "DVD/CD ROM Drives," and there, they have a excl.gif sign on them. Help? please.gif

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

Please try uninstalling Alchol, rebooting then reinstalling it.

Have you installed anything recently, such as a new virus checker per chance?

#3 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

I must've uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled at least 7 times. No success.
And no... I haven't recently installed new antivirus software. I have, however, installed a few free doujin visual novels. (the legal kind)
I've also tried uninstalling everything, installing that STPD thing in Safe Mode, then installing Alcohol in regular mode: nothing doing.
dry.gif

Do you think that I may actually have the Trial Alcohol 52%? Does it do these things after a certain amount of time?

Edited by nonamesorry, 12 November 2007 - 01:12 PM.

#4 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:13 PM

Your system report shows that you are using the free version.

Have a look in Disk Management to see if the drive exists in there. You may find that it exists in there but has no drive letter assigned. If this is the case you can try assigning it a drive letter.

You can also try downloading the latest sptd beta (1.51) from www.duplexsecure.com.

#5 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:44 PM

Nope, no new drive in Disk Management. Just the good ol' C: and D: .

And also, what is this SPTD 1.51 you speak of? The website says that the latest version is 1.50, which I have.

Edited by nonamesorry, 12 November 2007 - 01:48 PM.

#6 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:01 PM

This is a new "test" version of SPTD which is suppose to fix some issues.

http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=27448

I'm not sure if it will specifically target the problem you are having as I haven't heard of the problem you are having before. DO you have any Virtual Drive options in the context menu?

#7 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:10 PM

~I can't see the link, cause when I click on it, I get an error page.~

Anyway, no virtual drives show up in the image making wizard, and i think that they're supposed to. Which context menu?

Edited by nonamesorry, 12 November 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#8 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

Weird, try: http://disc-tools.co...wnload/sptdbeta

Please bare with us as I've not heard of the virtual drive being there then disappearing before.

Another thing you could try, but please be aware that altering the registry should only be done by experienced users.

Could you please remove both Alcohol and SPTD from your System if installed then reboot.

Then open Regedit and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd" and delete it (you may need to change the permissions to do this including permissions forthe SPTD/cfg key).

Then try and re-install SPTD using the standalone Installer, after your Computer has re-booted run the installer again to verify that SPTD is installed.

If SPTD is not detected and you are asked to reboot again please check the SPTD key for a r0 key if this exists then please delete then try and install SPTD again, once SPTD has been successfully installed you will be able to install Alcohol.

#9 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

Sorry, but I'm afraid to try this. I'm not very experienced in changing programs, and I don't want to botch up my computer.
I will try the new SPTD, however.

#10 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:49 PM

I've had a word with one of the chaps at Tech Support and they'd also not encountered this problem before. It sounds like something is blocking the initialisation of the Virtual Drive at bootup.

Have you tried disabling your virus checker in such a fashion that it is disabled even when you reboot, reboot and see if the virtual drive pops in?

#11 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:06 PM

I doubt that's necessary to check, for my antivirus hasn't been changed since long before I installed Alcohol. It shouldn't pose a threat. The problem must be with something that came onto my computer or changed recently. Whatever it is, it is also changing my Internet Explorer: I can't use Explorer late at night, no matter how good the connection. A virus, maybe?

The Explorer problem appeared around when the Alcohol problem started. Looks like a chain reaction.

Edited by nonamesorry, 12 November 2007 - 03:12 PM.

#12 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

Try downloading and adware from such as Ad-Aware, update it and scan, you might have a trojan or another malicious program that your virus checker does not detect.

What virus checker are you using? There has been a case where a virus checker reported a false positive in an older version of Alcohol.

#13 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

McAfee, and no malicious software.
hmm, maybe it is just alcohol...

#14 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

As Alcohol has run before on your system and runs fine on thousands of computers therefore I would have to assume it is something you've installed recently after Alcohol and is interfering with the initialisation of the virtual drive and startup.

You could try downloading daemon tools as a test and seeing if that works on your OS. Both utilise the SPTD Layer for their virtual drive, so I assume that would not go as well.

When is your last restore point?

#15 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

I tried Daemon Tools long before Alcohol, and it wouldn't run. I doubt that it would now.

#16 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:04 PM

And also, the STPD 1.51 didn't seem to work, either. Installed it in Safe Mode, then installed Alcohol in regular.
Nothing doing.

#17 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:04 AM

Sorry, I missed part of your post, when you uninstall Alcohol is the virtual drive still showing in the device manager with an exclamation mark?

If so, please delete these, reboot and install Alcohol.

Please have a look in the event viewer for a possible cause of the SPTD driver failing to load. Its in the Administation Tools in your control panel.

#18 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:57 AM

The only place where I find the drives is in "Alcohol 52%>Device Manager," under "DVD/CD ROM Drives," and there, they have a sign on them.

Do you still have these drives when you have Alcohol installed? If yes can you also report what is writen in their "Properties" tab?

Edited by Charalambos, 13 November 2007 - 08:59 AM.

#19 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

The Philips drive that comes with alcohol stays on the computer, even when alcohol isn't present. there's still a excl.gif sign, though.

and, why is what's in the properties tab relevant? all it says it what volume you want the drive to play music and stuff.
under "general," in the device status box, it says windows can't load the drive (code 39). what's code 39?

#20 nonamesorry

nonamesorry

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

zamiel, i uninstalled alcohol, removed the phillips drive, rebooted, and installed alcohol again.
nothing doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users