• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 horusofoz

horusofoz

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:12 PM

I think an updating system that does not require the uninstalling of the previous version of Alcohol and the complete new install of the updated version would be beneficial. I have only owned Alcohol 120% long enough to do a single update but I think it would be a lot better to install an update rather than an entire new application. I understand with major updates it is probably best to uninstall and reinstall but for the regular incremental updates I think it would be better to simply download the update rather than the entire app. Also an option for automatic updates would also be pretty cool.

Just a thought from an uber noob so if I'm rehaashing thoughts ideas that have already been rejected please go easy blush.gif

#2 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:13 AM

Alcohol updates contain fixes and additions and improvements to the reading\writing engine and solutions for blacklisting that requier the older files to be replaced, due to this a simple update addition is not possible, hence the need to uninstall the older version and install the newer version

#3 horusofoz

horusofoz

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Dec 5 2008, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alcohol updates contain fixes and additions and improvements to the reading\writing engine and solutions for blacklisting that requier the older files to be replaced, due to this a simple update addition is not possible, hence the need to uninstall the older version and install the newer version

Seeing As Alcohol doesn't use a regular uninstaller couldn't this be automated then in some sort of updater that uninstalled the old Alcohol and reinstalled the new one in the same directory all in a single process?

#4 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

The uninstallation/reinstallation is already automated. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for.

#5 horusofoz

horusofoz

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Dec 15 2008, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The uninstallation/reinstallation is already automated. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for.

When I went to update I had to download the entire app again, uninstall previous version and reinstall the new one. Maybe you could include a script in the updates installer to detect current install, uninstall and install new version?

#6 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

When I went to update I had to download the entire app again

And so? That's the way that most programs are updated.

uninstall previous version and reinstall the new one

It has already been explained that it has to be so- the same for many other programs.

Maybe you could include a script in the updates installer to detect current install, uninstall and install new version?

You mean something like silent installation? The problem is that you usually have to reboot during the installation- particularly when a new version of SPTD is being installed.

#7 horusofoz

horusofoz

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

K doesn't matter that much. Thanks anyway.

#8 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:19 AM

You do need to download the installer, but when you run the update installer, it will automatically uninstall the old version. I assume this is what you're looking for? This is why I'm confused.

#9 draeath

draeath

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:02 PM

Well, is it possible for an update to be done without forcing a restart? I don't have any problems with a complete file replacement, but restarting is probably not necessary. You SHOULD be able to uninstall drivers from the kernel, close handles, etc. But that requires housekeeping that's a pain to implement if it's not already there.

#10 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

All the programs that I know require a reboot when a new driver (in the case of Alcohol a new version of SPTD or its own drivers) has to be installed. Not to mention that, at least in my fully updated laptop, Windows themselves ask for a reboot in order to complete the installation of the virtual drives.

#11 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

If SPTD has not been updated, then you can uninstall and reinstall Alcohol without a reboot. Only the SPTD drivers require a restart to complete the install.

#12 kcbnac

kcbnac

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ May 7 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If SPTD has not been updated, then you can uninstall and reinstall Alcohol without a reboot. Only the SPTD drivers require a restart to complete the install.

This is the key.

Also, by restarting it ensures that the old version got cleaned out - and it happens so rarely that a reboot is probably a "good thing." (If nothing else, it forces it for those that ignore Windows Updates prompts to restart ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users