• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 khat17

khat17

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

Firstly, thank you for creating such a lovely program, and keep up the good work!

I'd love if the program had an option to PAUSE and RESUME creating an image of a disk. This would be most helpful in cases where you may have more than one copy of a disk, and both are scratched in different sections.

So if I had two disks with volume label WINXP_SP2, and they are both scratched but in different places - say during installation you get read errors on different files - it would be good if the program allowed you to pause where you were, then resume on another disk as long as the volume-labels match.

To assist further with this, it would be good if the program showed you the progress in bytes, and then on the resume it lets you know where it is and gives you the option to start a few bytes behind. This would help ensure that you do not have any of the bad read areas copied.

Please say whether or not this is viable for any future releases. I am more than willing to beta test this feature should you decide to implement it. As a rule, any original I have, or any documents or other files that I backup - I always make two copies. Occasionally one of the copies may get damaged, and I can re-create from the second - but in rare cases both disks get damaged, but hardly ever in the same position.

Thank you for your time - hope to hear from you soon.

Regards.
Khat

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Though the DEV team and management have the final say, I don't see this as a feature that will be released in the future. The main focus of Alcohol is to backup software before they become damaged to avoid this issue, not to try and make a backup from different damaged sources. But you never know smile.gif

#3 khat17

khat17

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

I really hope it's considered - 'cause you never know when your disks will get damaged. Sometimes you may drop them yourself - and weird stuff has happened. I remember a disk exploding in a cd-rom drive. No idea how that happened though - - - - never happened again.

Anyways - thanks for your reply, and I hope the suggestion is considered for future builds.

Regards.
Khat

#4 wildman

wildman

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

So if I had two disks with volume label WINXP_SP2, and they are both scratched but in different places - say during installation you get read errors on different files - it would be good if the program allowed you to pause where you were, then resume on another disk as long as the volume-labels match.

I know its been years since this was posted. But should this happen to someone or even if someone has two corrupted copies of the file. There is a program called anyreader that somehow will combine two and make one good copy. To have this feature in Alcohol would be welcome I'm sure but it also would duplicate a feature available on another software. Also Anyreader is a different market but works well for damaged or corrupted disks, drives, files etc. I've used it to get a good copies of files so I could build a good total copy with Alcohol 120.

#5 Cooler

Cooler

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

I never saw much use for this feature, until last week. While reinstalling XP to old computer I found the CD unusable, because part of it was unreadable. Then things took uglier turn, as I dropped the backup CD. Now I had two non working CD's, both unreadable files in different places. As the XP was heavily customized to speed up reinstallation, using vanilla XPSP3 CD took much longer time and I lost many of my tweaks.

As this was the first time in years this happened, I still don't see too much usage for this feature to be added. Currently Alcohol 120% is pretty solid non-bloated product and possible new major features should be thought carefully, before adding them.

BTW, either of two AnyReaders was able to do the merging well enough to result 100% working CD, so I ended picking up my tweaks and settings afterwards from disks and making the new copies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users