14 replies to this topic

#1 Taiwu

Taiwu

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

After I installed Alcohol 120%, it pops up a dialog box saying "Unable to add adapter. Device problem 12. ACPI function in the BIOS must not be turned off".

What does it mean? I checked the BIOS, it seems the ACPI is on. Any one has ideas how to solve the problem? Did I miss something?

Edited by Charalambos, 10 May 2009 - 08:48 AM.
Removing System Report

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

Uninstall Alcohol and the SPTD driver (you can do the second with its standalone installer/uninstaller from www.duplexsecure.com), reboot, then install SPTD with the mentioned installer, reboot as requested, run the SPTD installer to make sure that its installation is alright and then install Alcohol again in Safe Mode.

#3 Taiwu

Taiwu

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ May 10 2009, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uninstall Alcohol and the SPTD driver (you can do the second with its standalone installer/uninstaller from www.duplexsecure.com), reboot, then install SPTD with the mentioned installer, reboot as requested, run the SPTD installer to make sure that its installation is alright and then install Alcohol again in Safe Mode.

Thanks a lot! I will give it a try tonight. Hope it will solve my problem.

Taiwu

#4 Taiwu

Taiwu

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the problem. I have checked the SPTD has been installed properly but after I installed (in safe mode) Alcohol 120%, the same error message still pops up.

I tried Alcohol on my old Vista machine (core 2 based) and it installed fine, so why does my new Nehalem based Xeon get this problem? Anybody has tried it on Nehalem Xeon yet? Mine is a HP Z400 Workstation.

Thanks

#5 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:02 AM

Try to install Alcohol again and then look in the Device Manager for any devices with a question or an exclamation mark beside them and what is reported about them.
Also you can temporarily disable your antivirus/firewall e.t.c. software in case it interferes with the Alcohol's installation.

Edited by Charalambos, 12 May 2009 - 10:05 AM.

#6 Taiwu

Taiwu

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ May 12 2009, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try to install Alcohol again and then look in the Device Manager for any devices with a question or an exclamation mark beside them and what is reported about them.
Also you can temporarily disable your antivirus/firewall e.t.c. software in case it interferes with the Alcohol's installation.

I tried to install several times and found there is NO device that has exclamation mark in the Device Manager window. Also I tried to disable my AV and it has no effect. Quite frustrate so far, I guess I may never get it running on my HP workstation. Not sure what's different about this Z400 workstation's configuration. There is a HP ProtectTools Security Manager came with HP, but I couldn't disable it nor it seems has an effect on Alcohol. But I could be wrong.

Anyone has tried Alcohol on HP's Z series workstations yet?

Thanks for all the help, really appreciated!

Taiwu

#7 Taiwu

Taiwu

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:40 PM

As it turned out there was indees an exclamation mark in the Device Manager window while I was adding virtual drives. The device showing exclamation mark is ACC5MA4P IDE Controller under Storage Controllers subtree. But only briefly shows up and disappear very quickly so I couldn't see it before. Since it disappear so fast, I don't have a chance to look into what inside the error report of the device.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Taiwu

#8 Taiwu

Taiwu

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Taiwu @ May 13 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As it turned out there was indees an exclamation mark in the Device Manager window while I was adding virtual drives. The device showing exclamation mark is ACC5MA4P IDE Controller under Storage Controllers subtree. But only briefly shows up and disappear very quickly so I couldn't see it before. Since it disappear so fast, I don't have a chance to look into what inside the error report of the device.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Taiwu

Finally managed to copy the error message from the device (has to be super fast):
=============================================================
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.
=============================================================

I have two devices under Storage Controllers sub-tree: they are
1. Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller
2. Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

Should I remove one of them? Thanks.

Taiwu

#9 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

I think that your best bet is to try to deactivate this HP protection manager- it reminds me with of the similar problems with the Dell Embacy Trust Suite. From your description it is obvious that something prevents Alcohol from making its SCSI controller and being installed in general.
If you don't know how to disable it you must contact HP or ask a technician, the one sure thing however is that there is surely a way to disable it.

Edited by Charalambos, 14 May 2009 - 09:44 AM.

#10 Maxxi

Maxxi

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:44 AM

I'm facing the same problem, and also on a HP Z400.
Is there any solution?

I'm not using any HP software (just installed a fresh installation of Windows 7).

I've updated my BIOS, chipset drivers etc.

The error message is:
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

And:

Unable to add adapter. Device problem 12.

Edited by Maxxi, 20 November 2009 - 06:46 AM.

#11 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

It seems that there is a problem with HP computers, maybe the Development Team must have a look at it. However, are you sure that you don't have any HP stuff installed (drivers or whatever)?

#12 Maxxi

Maxxi

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Nov 20 2009, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems that there is a problem with HP computers, maybe the Development Team must have a look at it. However, are you sure that you don't have any HP stuff installed (drivers or whatever)?

Yes i'm 100% sure, I've just installed a fresh Windows installation (non-hp disk).

If you need me to test/debug anything, please let me know.

#13 Maxxi

Maxxi

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:23 AM

Any news?

#14 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

No, in fact as I said it is probably something that must be investigated by the Development Team in order to find where the problem is and solve it in one of the next versions (they may not be able to fix it in the next one because they have a lot of things to do).

#15 Maxxi

Maxxi

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:09 AM

Alright I'll just have to wait then..
Thanks for the information.

Kind regards,

Job

btw: the other concurrent company's software doesn't work either.

Edited by Maxxi, 26 November 2009 - 01:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users