#1 danger1474

danger1474

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:30 AM

G'day,

When trying to install the Free Edition of V1.9.8.7612 I'm receiving the following error:
"Internal setup error. Contact support."

No other information is provided, like an error code or something useful.

It occurs immediately after clicking I Agree to accept the licence agreement.

I've searched the forums and tried all the solution suggestions:
1. Run as administrator - No change
2. Run in safe mode - No error, but immediately requires reboot at the same point. If I re-enter safe-mode then I'm in a "request re-boot loop" and get no further. If I reboot to normal mode then I get the error again.
3. I've uninstalled and re-installed the SPTD from Duplexsecure and it seems to be fine, except I was unable to make any changes to the registry afer uninstall as per the suggestion, despite changing the permissions on the key.
4. Disabled my antivirus and firewall (Zonealarm) - No change.
5. Delete by hand all Alcohol files - there aren't any because it doesn't even get that far.
6. Combinations of all the above - no change.

My system is a Toshiba P100 (Intel Centrino Duo) with 2Gb RAM running Windows 7 32 bit, clean install. Alcohol is one of the first things I'm trying to put back on the system. I downloaded though Free Downloads which linked from this website.

Curiously the same version of Alcohol installed just fine on my other PC running Windows 7 64bit (I installed it quite a while back).
Alcohol FE was working fine on this very laptop on NT before I clean-installed W7. Unsure which version of Alcohol it was.
I downloaded it yesterday to a third computer running Vista 32bit and I got the same Internal setup error.

It seems to me that perhaps its a corrupt EXE but surely lots more people would be having the issue. I cleared my download history to ensure that a redownload didn't simply fetch a cached copy and it also was no joy.

Any ideas??? Could it have been the "Settings Transfer Wizard" for Windows 7? Is something Alcohol related in my registry that is a skeleton from my NT installation?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Dan

Edited by danger1474, 23 January 2010 - 04:31 AM.

#2 NARS

NARS

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:56 AM

Please download and run the following tool:
http://forum.alcohol...s/sptdremov.exe
After removing SPTD from your system and restarting Windows as requested by the tool (you may need to reboot twice in some cases, the tool will tell you) then please try to reinstall Alcohol again.

If you continue having problems please try to temporarily disable (or even uninstall) your real-time antivirus, firewall or any other security software and try to install Alcohol again. We had some reports recently of conflicts between SPTD and latest versions of ZoneAlarm, Spyware Doctor and PC Tools ThreadFire products.

#3 danger1474

danger1474

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the help, but it didn't work. There's been no change in behaviour at all.

The SPTD uninstall worked great. It required two reboots to get it completely uninstalled.

On first run of Alcohol install it reinstalls SPTD after I click "I Agree" to the terms. It requires a reboot, and then when the installation automatically continues on the next logon I get the exact same error when I click on "I Agree".
"Internal setup error. Contact support"

Zonealarm was not running at any time during this process.

I noticed that the CFG key of SPTD in the registry has an "Access Denied" error when trying to examine it. Is this part of the problem?

Thanks for any further help you can offer.

Dan

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

Please have a look here:

http://forum.alcohol...h...837&hl=zone

#5 NARS

NARS

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:04 AM

The "Access Denied" to the SPTD cfg key is normal, SPTD prevents access to that key to avoid any external software (protections, etc..) from being able to do changes/broke SPTD. As soon as you disable SPTD you are able to access the key (that's what the sptdremov tool does, 1st time you run it disables sptd, needs reboot... then 2nd time you run it it removes all sptd service keys as sptd is not running anymore).

If you have ZoneAlarm then it is most probably the cause of the problem, try to disable that service as Charalambos pointed, it should help. Also make sure you ha latest version of ZoneAlarm as we their development team is aware of this problem and it's possible it may be fixed on latest versions (in fact we did had confirmation from them that this was fixed on their beta versions some few months ago however not sure if that betas have already been released as final version).

#6 danger1474

danger1474

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

Solved!!! Thanks very much for your help.

A couple of point for your knowledge base...

* I was using Zonealarm Internet Security V9.1.008.000
* I needed to fully uninstall Zonealarm before Alcohol installation would work

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users