11 replies to this topic

#1 jeffreyf

jeffreyf

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:13 AM

I have a DVD that uses SecuRom 7.00.00.0004 protection on it. The program installs locally on the hard drive and will occasionally ask for the orignal DVD to be inserted to verify I have a legitimate copy.

I am looking to make a back up of the DVD to protect and preserve the original.

I have tried to do this using the latest version of Alcohol 120, however, the copies I have made are not working.

If anyone can let me know the specific steps and settings I need to be able to make a fully functional DVD copy would be appreciated.

Jeffrey

#2 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE (jeffreyf @ Mar 16 2010, 03:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a DVD that uses SecuRom 7.00.00.0004 protection on it. The program installs locally on the hard drive and will occasionally ask for the orignal DVD to be inserted to verify I have a legitimate copy.

I am looking to make a back up of the DVD to protect and preserve the original.

I have tried to do this using the latest version of Alcohol 120, however, the copies I have made are not working.

If anyone can let me know the specific steps and settings I need to be able to make a fully functional DVD copy would be appreciated.

Jeffrey

Hello Jeffrey,

As a trial user, you are supposed to copy & paste your system report from within Alcohol first. Thank you!

#3 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

We viewed your system report, thank you.

What kind of error are you getting? Have you tried using the Image with the virtual drive?

#4 jeffreyf

jeffreyf

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:27 AM

The program I am using, Fluenz F2 Spanish, will ask for the DVD every now and again to verify that I have a legitimate copy. When I am asked for the DVD and put the back up DVD into the machine I receive a message that the DVD I have entered is not the original.

My goal would be to use a backup DVD instead of having to create a virtual image. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

QUOTE (ptolomeus3 @ Mar 16 2010, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We viewed your system report, thank you.

What kind of error are you getting? Have you tried using the Image with the virtual drive?

#5 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

You should make a Image first, using the Image Maker Wizard and then burn this Image with the Image Burning Wizard.

Start Alcohol 120%.

Go to the Image making Wizard, choose the Drive where your Disc is to be found and then choose SecuROM as Datatype (the Data Position Measurement Precision I have left on High, just as the reading speed).

Once your Image has been made, you can choose to burn it on a DVD. Use the Image Burning Wizard in the same way you used the Image Maker Wizard.

In Alcohol, make sure you have under Emulation and Extra Emulation all options ticket on (such as Ignore Media Type, etc. ...).

#6 jeffreyf

jeffreyf

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:13 PM

I have followed the directions below and will advise shortly. Please note a few things:

1. For SecuRom there were three choices. I choose the one that said just SecuRom (as opposed to SecuRom *NEW and SecuROM *NEW (4/5/7))

2. The default SecuRom did not have the DPM checked off under READING OPTIONS. I checked this off. The process of doing this changed the Datatype from SecuROM to "CUSTOMIZE"

I will advise once the copy is done.

If there is anything from the above information that I need to do or change please let me know.

Also, I found a SecuRom directory on my system created by the software. There is a readme file whose contents I have pasted below:

readme.txt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THE FILES IN THIS FOLDER BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOOSE ESSENTIAL DIGITAL RIGHTS.
READ BELOW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information for the PC Administrator:

The files securom_v7_01.dat and securom_v7_01.bak have been created during the installation of a SecuROM protected application.
It guarantees more user convenience because the original disc does not have to be in the local drive at all times anymore.
It is necessary for copy protected CDs, demo versions and protected software downloaded from the Internet.
The file contains your licences for all products which are SecuROM protected, therefore it will not be deleted automatically.

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THE FILE BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOOSE ESSENTIAL DIGITAL RIGHTS.

The information contained in securom_v7_01.dat will not be transferred to any other computer without your permission.

This security system is connected with a MS Windows Service called "SecuROM User Access Service".
This module is started automatically when launching a protected application if the user is logged in with Windows administrator rights.
In case users do not have administrator rights we recommend to keep it running.

See www.securom.com for further information

QUOTE (ptolomeus3 @ Mar 16 2010, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should make a Image first, using the Image Maker Wizard and then burn this Image with the Image Burning Wizard.

Start Alcohol 120%.

Go to the Image making Wizard, choose the Drive where your Disc is to be found and then choose SecuROM as Datatype (the Data Position Measurement Precision I have left on High, just as the reading speed).

Once your Image has been made, you can choose to burn it on a DVD. Use the Image Burning Wizard in the same way you used the Image Maker Wizard.

In Alcohol, make sure you have under Emulation and Extra Emulation all options ticket on (such as Ignore Media Type, etc. ...).

#7 jeffreyf

jeffreyf

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:06 PM

I have followed the directions and a few updates.

- when I placed the DVD into my computer Alcohol 120% removed the other SecuRom selections so that there was only one for me to select. As a ersult, please disregard my earlier comments about multiple SecuRom settings to select
- I followed teh directions provided and checked off DPM to be on high
- an image was created
- to burn the image the write method was DAO with the WRITE option checked off. The "Enable Buffer Underrun Technology" was checked off. The "Burn RMPS" option was selected. The Datatype was SecuRom
- I inserted a blank DVD into the computer. Since Alcohol 120% did not recognize it, I selected the format option by right clicking on the DVD and tried this with both VISTA and Windows 7. The format was done with the standard options
- Once formatted Alcohol 120% recognized the DVD and wrote to it
- With the image complete the DVD was tested and the program came back advising that it did not recognize this as the original DVD

As per my previous post, below is the readme.txt file form the directory SecuRom created on my computer.

Additional suggestions as to how I may make a full backup DVD so it is recognized by the program would be greatly appreciated.

readme.txt

PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THE FILES IN THIS FOLDER BECAUSE YOU MIGHT LOOSE ESSENTIAL DIGITAL RIGHTS.
READ BELOW

The files securom_v7_01.dat and securom_v7_01.bak have been created during the installation of a SecuROM protected application.
It guarantees more user convenience because the original disc does not have to be in the local drive at all times anymore.
It is necessary for copy protected CDs, demo versions and protected software downloaded from the Internet.
The file contains your licences for all products which are SecuROM protected, therefore it will not be deleted automatically.

The information contained in securom_v7_01.dat will not be transferred to any other computer without your permission.

This security system is connected with a MS Windows Service called "SecuROM User Access Service".
This module is started automatically when launching a protected application if the user is logged in with Windows administrator rights.

QUOTE (jeffreyf @ Mar 17 2010, 07:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have followed the directions below and will advise shortly. Please note a few things:

1. For SecuRom there were three choices. I choose the one that said just SecuRom (as opposed to SecuRom *NEW and SecuROM *NEW (4/5/7))

2. The default SecuRom did not have the DPM checked off under READING OPTIONS. I checked this off. The process of doing this changed the Datatype from SecuROM to "CUSTOMIZE"

I will advise once the copy is done.

If there is anything from the above information that I need to do or change please let me know.

Also, I found a SecuRom directory on my system created by the software. There is a readme file whose contents I have pasted below:

readme.txt

READ BELOW

QUOTE (ptolomeus3 @ Mar 16 2010, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Start Alcohol 120%.

#8 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 01:09 PM

OK, now you got me unsure.gif You should have 3 options about SecuROM when the original is on a CD, but when it is on a DVD there is just SecuROM to choose from ... and if it is a SecuROM protected CD, the read speed should be low instead of high and being SecuROM v7* you must use the Datatype SecuROM *NEW (4/5/7).

#9 jeffreyf

jeffreyf

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I had the settings BEFORE I put the DVD in. Once I put the DVD in the menu was as expected. Not sure if you saw my post right afterwards to provide further updates. For your convenience I have re-posted it below:

I have followed the directions and a few updates.

- when I placed the DVD into my computer Alcohol 120% removed the other SecuRom selections so that there was only one for me to select. As a ersult, please disregard my earlier comments about multiple SecuRom settings to select
- I followed teh directions provided and checked off DPM to be on high
- an image was created
- to burn the image the write method was DAO with the WRITE option checked off. The "Enable Buffer Underrun Technology" was checked off. The "Burn RMPS" option was selected. The Datatype was SecuRom
- I inserted a blank DVD into the computer. Since Alcohol 120% did not recognize it, I selected the format option by right clicking on the DVD and tried this with both VISTA and Windows 7. The format was done with the standard options
- Once formatted Alcohol 120% recognized the DVD and wrote to it
- With the image complete the DVD was tested and the program came back advising that it did not recognize this as the original DVD

As per my previous post, below is the readme.txt file form the directory SecuRom created on my computer.

Additional suggestions as to how I may make a full backup DVD so it is recognized by the program would be greatly appreciated.

readme.txt

READ BELOW

QUOTE (ptolomeus3 @ Mar 17 2010, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, now you got me unsure.gif You should have 3 options about SecuROM when the original is on a CD, but when it is on a DVD there is just SecuROM to choose from ... and if it is a SecuROM protected CD, the read speed should be low instead of high and being SecuROM v7* you must use the Datatype SecuROM *NEW (4/5/7).

#10 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:06 PM

The version of secuROM that you are reporting is probably incorrect, please check it with the Alcohol's Data-Type Analyzer or ProtectionID (which you can find in the web). You may have to check the program's installation folder in order to find the exact version of SecuROM.
Please make an image first with the SecuROM profile, mount it to a virtual drive and check if Securom accepts it. If you fail making a working image with the maximum speed then try lower speeds until you find a suitable one. If you manage to make a working image then burn it to a DVD-R with the SecuROM profile again- make sure that the burning of the RMPS data is activated. In order to use the backup you must activate the RMPS emulation option and, if the drive is a burner, the "Ignore Media Type" option in Alcohol's emulation settings as Ptolomeus has already said.
If you receive a different error message with an image/copy please report it here. You may also try to make the image/copy with another drive as some drives aren't good enough for obtaining the DPM data.

#11 jeffreyf

jeffreyf

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

Alcohol 120% displays the following message int he Date-Type Analyzer:

"Securom 7 or higher detected (000000008)"

The issue is not so much in being able to mount the image. The DVD being made has all the data on it. The issue is that the program and/or Securom is looking to find something on the DVD to verify it is an original copy and not a backup.

Are there any other suggestions to try.

Please advise.

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Mar 17 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The version of secuROM that you are reporting is probably incorrect, please check it with the Alcohol's Data-Type Analyzer or ProtectionID (which you can find in the web). You may have to check the program's installation folder in order to find the exact version of SecuROM.
Please make an image first with the SecuROM profile, mount it to a virtual drive and check if Securom accepts it. If you fail making a working image with the maximum speed then try lower speeds until you find a suitable one. If you manage to make a working image then burn it to a DVD-R with the SecuROM profile again- make sure that the burning of the RMPS data is activated. In order to use the backup you must activate the RMPS emulation option and, if the drive is a burner, the "Ignore Media Type" option in Alcohol's emulation settings as Ptolomeus has already said.
If you receive a different error message with an image/copy please report it here. You may also try to make the image/copy with another drive as some drives aren't good enough for obtaining the DPM data.

#12 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:21 AM

Yes, it is lookiing for the abnormal topology patern of the disc and the DPM data are emulating this topology. The key to success is good DPM data. Please follow the given instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users