1 reply to this topic

#1 Amber

Amber

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:52 AM

[EDIT: I found the solution. Look to bottom of this post.]

I am trying to install 120% Retail 2.0.1.2033 on my Compaq CQ61-410US Laptop, running Windows 7x64. Latest windows updates installed as of 4/13/2011.

I am installing from an executable file I have verified to be functional, as I have successfully installed 120% from this file on this machine last fall.

I did a full system re-installation (OEM state) and installed all the windows updates.
Since, the software I have installed is as follows:

AVG Free 2011 (I tried disabling as well as completely uninstalling - currently not installed - no joy)
Truecrypt - full system encryption
Microsoft Office Professional 2010
Adobe Master Collection CS5 and Acrobat X
Firefox 4.0
Quicken 2011
TurboTax 2009 and 2010
Rosetta Stone
Livescribe Desktop
iTunes and Safari
WinRAR
Picasa
ImgBurn
ImgMagick
Ghostscript
Google Chrome
CDTree3 Pro
Beyond Compare 3
A VNC Server
Driver and software for my HP Officejet 7210xi

All legit registered (or freeware), except winrar is still in trial mode. The OEM install came with Cyberlink PowerDVD. That is everything.

Are there any programs here that are known to be incompatible? As I mentioned before, I have successfully installed this on this system before. I cannot recall if I had installed Truecrypt after installing 120% last time or not. Rosetta Stone is new, Livescribe is new, and Quicken has been upgraded from 2008 to 2011. Turbotax is new as well. These are the only differences between this time and last time, except of course all the software that I had installed last time (but do not currently have installed).

I have followed many suggestions mentioned elsewhere on the forum:
  • Disabled AVG
  • Ran SPTD Removal tool, rebooted twice, tried to reinstall 120%
  • Uninstalled AVG
  • Removed SPTD again, tried to install 120% again, as Admin, in windows XP SP2 Compatibility mode
  • Removed SPTD again, tried to install in safe mode (Setup just instructs me to reboot)
  • Rebooting from safe mode, back into safe mode, the install program does not start itself (Startup entries are ignored in safe mode)
  • Rebooting from safe mode into normal mode, setup does start itself, but continues to throw the error.

The next step, by my logic, would be to uninstall Truecrypt and try it, but that would require a lengthy process of completely decrypting my entire system.

So I am here asking if there are simpler troubleshooting steps I might be able to try before resorting to that.

This is everything I can think of to provide for troubleshooting. No error codes are displayed.
Is there a way to dig into debug info to pinpoint what the installer is choking on?

I will appreciate your suggestions very much.

-------------------------------------------------
EDIT to add solution I found:

When I download from the internet, I often rename the installer to something more informative (such as the date or site downloaded from).

The installation fails because the executable has been renamed. I renamed it back to the original name and it instantly fixed the problem!

Just incredible...

Hope this helps about 1000 people :)

Edited by Amber, 17 April 2011 - 02:46 AM.

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:39 AM

Yes, in case of Alcohol (and probably many other programs) renaming the installer causes troubles.
Anyway, thanks for informing us about the real nature of the problem. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users