#1 BoTo

BoTo

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 02:23 AM

Hi,

I recently purchased 2K Games' MLB 2K11, the latest annual edition of their Baseball title. This game uses SecuROM and requires that the DVD be present in the drive when playing the game, which is of course extremely annoying. Seeking a way around this, I found information on Alcohol 120% and downloaded the trial version. I made an image of the game DVD (enabling DPM and RMPS) and used Alcohol to Mount that image. Tried running the game, and it reported that it had detected the presence of "emulation software such as Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools" and insisted I insert the original disc.

I tried cloaking the drives (just the virtual one, just the physical one, both) with A.C.I.D., no difference. I downloaded the latest A.C.I.D. update from the forum and tried again, no difference. I tried various other things, such as disabling the physical drive, or changing the drive letter of the physical drive to something else and then changing the virtual drive to the same drive letter previously used by the physical drive -- still no difference.

Then I tried plan B - I duped the DVD onto a blank, again using DPM and RMPS. Then I tried running the software with the copied DVD installed. This time, the system kept reading the DVD for what seemed like an interminable period of time, finally coming up with some sort of a timeout error message from SecuROM. Repeated the test with the drive cloaked with A.C.I.D., no change.

So... so far, nothing has worked for this game.

Any thoughts? Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited by Charalambos, 01 June 2011 - 09:05 AM.
Removing system report

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

It may be one of the latest versions of SecuROM that Alcohol can't defeat yet. You can check the exact version with ProtectionID (you can find it in the web) by scanning the game's installation folder. However you can try again with an RMPS copy, try obtaining the DPM with high accuracy and maximum speed.

#3 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

Also a user reports that he can play the game after selecting a DVD area.

#4 BoTo

BoTo

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Thanks. I was eventually able to get a DVD (RMPS) copy to work, but this doesn't really do what I want. I suppose it's better to know that I won't be scratching up the original game DVD by continually inserting and removing it, but it still requires that I keep a DVD around and manipulate DVDs every time I want to play the game, and that's what I was hoping to avoid.

ProtectionID crashes on my computer. It displays a noisy error message suggesting that I click a button to send a stack dump to its developers. Sorry, not really interested in pursuing that. I'm running a 64 bit version of windows, perhaps that's why? In any case, this isn't really that important to me to start diagnosing problems with stuff like that.

Also a user reports that he can play the game after selecting a DVD area.

Sorry, can you expand on this? I don't understand what you mean by "selecting a DVD area."

Thanks.

#5 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:15 PM

In the "Properties" option of your DVD drive right click menu click on the "Hardware" tab. There you'll see all of your drives. Select the DVD one and click on "Properties". There you'll see an option "DVD area". Select your country (or any other you want) and the area number will automatically be set to a value between 1 and 5. Each value represents a world area of which your DVD will be able to play DVDs. You can set and change the DVD area five times. At first there isn't a particular area selected, it will be automatically set when you play a DVD for the first time or you can set it yourself. Do it if there isn't a selection and you may be able to circumvent the SecuROM copy protection.

#6 BoTo

BoTo

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:32 AM

So sorry... I know all about DVD regions, I just didn't imagine they came into play here; I thought they only applied to DVD movies.

But let me understand what you're saying ... you're saying I must set a DVD region (area) for the virtual drive created by Alcohol? It doesn't already do that?

#7 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:47 AM

Yes, normally they have to do only with DVD movies, but perhaps this is a way that SecuROM blacklists Alcohol's virtual drives.
And no, in the begining there is no area selected (as in the case of the physical drives) so you must do it yourself.

#8 BoTo

BoTo

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

Well, I have good news.

I re-installed Alcohol 120% (I had pretty much given up on it previously) and made an image of the game DVD, with DPM analysis. Then I mounted the image with RMPS emulation enabled, set the virtual drive's region, and it works. In fact, it works without requiring A.C.I.D. cloaking or anything like that. So I can now play my game without fiddling around with DVDs, which is exactly what I was hoping to achieve.

Thanks for your help. I'll be purchasing a license at the end of my trial period and will continue to enjoy my game without having to stick the DVD in all the time. Well done! :)

#9 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:51 AM

Glad that you solved your problem. :)
However RMPS and the other emulation options are intented to be used with physical disc copies, they are not necessary for images and in fact they can cause blacklisting problems.

#10 jsndavis02

jsndavis02

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

I was planning to purchase that thing too. Thank God I bumped into your post, I now have an idea of what trouble I'll be facing.

#11 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

???!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users