Thanks, that worked (obviously)

#43 raymerjacque

raymerjacque

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:17 AM

:nuke: I must say I am extremely disgusted with the alcohol team.

64bit windows(beta or not) has been around for a good while now and more and more people are making use of it, it is already the second week of january and the official release of xp x64 is only weeks away. I cannot for the life of me understand why the alcohol team is so slow in the uptake, nero already has a descent working version for xp x64 as do winimage, I think the alcohol team should really take the competition more seriously or they will find their client database decreasing little by little. I am sorry but I just cannot support a company if they refuse to make any attempt to move forward. I don't think ignoring the obvious right under your nose is such a smart move. Tuff luck guys....the ratings are in...."you guys suck really big at the moment in the 64bit world!"

angry.gif

#44 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

You're entitled to your opinion. There are more important things at the moment than a 64Bit version, such as blacklisting and additional features. The 64Bit world is growing, but at the moment the systems are predominately 32Bit, so its a matter of priorities. A 64Bit version will most likely appear, but no confirmed date has been nor will be given.

How could you be disgusted if your not going to support Alcohol? Wouldn't you just go use one of the competitors products?

#45 ShutDown

ShutDown

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:36 AM

I must say I am extremely disgusted with the alcohol team.

64bit windows(beta or not) has been around for a good while now and more and more people are making use of it, it is already the second week of january and the official release of xp x64 is only weeks away. I cannot for the life of me understand why the alcohol team is so slow in the uptake, nero already has a descent working version for xp x64 as do winimage, I think the alcohol team should really take the competition more seriously or they will find their client database decreasing little by little. I am sorry but I just cannot support a company if they refuse to make any attempt to move forward. I don't think ignoring the obvious right under your nose is such a smart move. Tuff luck guys....the ratings are in...."you guys suck really big at the moment in the 64bit world!"

It's all about priorities, you have to understand that.

EDIT: zamiel got in before me sad.gif

Edited by ShutDown, 09 January 2005 - 11:37 AM.

#46 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

the official release of xp x64 is only weeks away

I find that highly unlikely since the RC1 has only recently appeared and knowing MS as I do, they will release at least 2 more RC's before the final build which will take *months", not weeks.

#47 buzz1

buzz1

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Jan 9 2005, 12:46 PM)
You're entitled to your opinion. There are more important things at the moment than a 64Bit version, such as blacklisting and additional features. The 64Bit world is growing, but at the moment the systems are predominately 32Bit, so its a matter of priorities.

I would agree fixing the blacklisting is more important, but generally I don’t think additional features are more important than creating a 64 bit version (with some exceptions such as compatibility issues).

It is true that most systems are predominately 32Bit, my self included, however I am only using 32Bit system as the is no 64 bit version of Alcohol (and 2 other programs which are Norton Internet Security and my Netdisk drivers) .

Once all 3 programs are 64 bit I will be upgrading my hardware and Windows.

#48 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

It is a question of priority, the majority of our users are running 32bit Windows operating systems, once a retail 64bit Windows operating system becomes available and more users start to change over to 64 bit systems then things may change, presently 64bit systems are still out of some users price range and even when Microsoft release a retail 64 bit version it will still take many months for people to start changing over.

#49 briandadude

briandadude

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:08 AM

I think you should do a version for 64-bit real soon. Or atleast make a 32 bit version that does not have the 32-bit virtual cd driver included with it. Or make a 64-bit virtual diver and just use the 32-bit version of the program. Nero works great in 64-bit and they have not even made a 64-bit version.

Nero just wont let you do the Virtual Driver with 64-bit. But the program it self works wonderfully.

So I would suggest just make a version of Alcohol 120% that does not install the Virtual CD Driver and is only 32-bit program, or make an 32-bit install that will install 64-bit drivers for the Virtual CD. either way you will make more business in the future, and the 64-bit windows community will be able to use your tool especially when the OS official comes out. Because when it does at the rate your going there will no be a 64-bit verision of Alcohol 120% for a while after the official release of the OS.

By the way I dont need Alcohol 120% I just found a virtual CD driver for 64-bit windows that works great, and nero works out good if you know what your doing, and other programs like DVD Shrink. So if you dont get going they you will loose a lot of customers because 64-bit is the way computers will go. Especially with how MS is getting. They are ending support for all OS except XP and who know they may shortly stop XP and only support 64-bit OS's.

I dont use 32-bit windows anymore once I found a Virtual CD driver that did 64-bit I dumped 32-bit windows, and I have never needed it since then.

64-bit is the future of computers. Intel is a little slow in that aspect for the desktop user, but AMD and MS knows better.

#50 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:18 AM

It may be the future, but the future is the future and at the moment we're still in the present, which is predominantly 32-Bit. Rest assured it is planned.

#51 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:00 AM

Well, since v1.9.2 allows for running Alcohol in what amounts to a "Safe Mode" without emulation or the virtual drives you could theoretically do this already. But you do so at your own risk as we make no guarantees that it will work nor do we guarantee that it won't hose your install of Windows since it was never designed for the 64-bit OS.

#52 fettigcj

fettigcj

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:38 AM

To reiterate: 64 bit rules, all of the above should be proof that there is CURRENT demand, not future demand, but here and NOW. I can't believe you guys don't have one guy who can spend the three hours to bang out a quick fix band-aid for the people that paid for your software. If you guys are unwilling to take care of your customers why should I become one?

No external links as per forum rules... zamiel

There you go, anybody getting screwed out of their 64 bit life go use that tool. To you guys that can't spare the time to write your own 64 bit HAL level driver go copy his, give him credit and it's fricken' freeware.

Personally I won't be switching back from the free tool that maintains the cutting edge to the PAID program that doesn't respond to CURRENT demands and try to pawn it off by saying there is no demand, in spite of the fact that there is a three page thread in your forums with users requesting it.

In the words of a Warez Channel Hound describing a similar situation with another product: "That sucks so bad I wouldn't even steal it."

#53 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:33 AM

There isn't a three page request for it, a lot of those posts are taken up by support and admin responding to the needs of the few.

Currently there is more demand for fixing blacklisting issues and to improve copy protection support. The number of 32-Bit customers far outweight the 64-Bit and until MS finalises their beta...

#54 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:55 AM

3 hours to write a virtual CD driver for 64-bit? That's quite a stretch to assume it's such a simple process. We're not talking a device driver here which is problematic enough, but creating a stable driver for a virtual device under a different architecture. I'm sure that takes "slightly" longer than 3 hours. rolleyes.gif

Don't get me wrong, as I stated before I'm for a 64-bit Alcohol as much as anyone else, but even you have to admit that a final, stable release of XP x64 is still several months away. Probably won't be before summer at least. While it would be nice to have, even those with AMD64 systems are still mostly running 32-bit Windows because it's a small minority that like running a beta Windows as their primary OS.

And FYI, attacking the development team by saying that we are unwilling to support our customers really isn't a good way to inspire them to support you - especially since you aren't one.

#55 buzz1

buzz1

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Jan 19 2005)

AS stated before I'm for a 64-bit Alcohol as much as anyone else, but even you have to admit that a final, stable release of XP x64 is still several months away. Probably won't be before summer at least

According to various news sites Microsoft has announced that the 64-bit edition of Windows XP Professional will ship "within four weeks".

If this is true, then updating Alcohol so it can at very least still mount images on 64 bit Windows should be the next think on the todo list after the next version of Alcohol is released.

Edited by buzz1, 02 March 2005 - 10:05 PM.

#56 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:58 PM

64 bit isnt as close nor as big as you people think... even after its released in a final build their will be numerous security patches and whatever else patches just like when win xp first came out. I wouldnt think that the alc team should even look at it for another couple of months as the OS that people want this new version of alc for isnt even released yet.... just doesnt make sense to me.

It will happen but judgement needs to be exercised here too... alc isnt about to please everyone who has a leaked or early beta release of the new win xp 64bit os.

In a business you please the majority, not the minority and considering it isnt retail yet the majoirty is BY FAR the 32 bit version of the win xp OS. And their will be alot of people (myself included) that may not be able to make the transition right away. It will take time and alot of money and considering i just dumped 85 bucks into my ps2 and ill be spending over 200 more dollars in the next month im not goana have a whole lot of tinkering money as an 18 year old kid with no job.

#57 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:04 AM

Everything I'm seeing still indicates it will be May before we see a street release (not release to manufacturer or RTM) of XP x64. This holds with my statement above that it will be several months before it's available. Yes, there are betas aplenty and they run stable. I myself dual-boot between XP Pro SP2 and XP x64 RC2. Possibly the only reason I switch back to 32-bit would be 1) the lack of drivers for my TV Tuner and HP printer and 2) the lack of a decent virtual drive. However, having said that, development is based on majority as Zamiel and 2005 stated above. And the majority don't need 64-bit, they need blacklists fixed. Keep in mind, we're not the devs. I don't even talk to the devs really, so I have no idea how far development has progressed if at all on 64-bit. We may not see it for several months after XP x64 is released, or they may surprise us with a release the day it's available. Who knows. Just keep watching the site.

#58 Nappicious

Nappicious

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:57 AM

I'm currently using the 64 bit Windows, and was also looking to using the Alcohol-Soft product line. I am disappointed at the lack of support for 64 bit users, but I understand there are reasons behind it.

fettigcj : Could you mail me the link to that program at Nappicious.At.gmail.com? Thanks.

And what does that program do that fettigcj is talking about? Would it allow me to use Alcohol on 64 bit Windows?

#59 Jackie

Jackie

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:38 AM

This thread mention if alcohol will be able to support 64bit windows?

#60 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:09 PM

Im sure in a few years when the majority becomes based on a 64 bit OS then in terms of staying inbusiness and profitable they would switch over.

Keep in mind im not affilated with this company and these are but mere opinions on my part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users