69 replies to this topic

#61 ZiggyAJ

ZiggyAJ

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:02 AM

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions about the 64bit future.

I believe that 64bit will be big this year once the final version comes out. Also I would like to point out there IS a high demand for programs like alcohol120 and/or deamon tools.

As a matter of fact, daemon tools has recently started a beta which it's main goal was 64bit support. Here is a link to their forums: http://www.daemon-to...ight=beta#21038
Even their admins say they "never thought soo many persons sign in for betagroup".
I believe this does show the increasing demand for 64bit support. People on the planetamd64 forums have been asking for virtual drive support ever since 64bit went beta and they thousands of members not counting the ones who aren't registered.

#62 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (ZiggyAJ @ Mar 13 2005, 06:14 PM)
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions about the 64bit future.

I believe that 64bit will be big this year once the final version comes out. Also I would like to point out there IS a high demand for programs like alcohol120 and/or deamon tools.

As a matter of fact, daemon tools has recently started a beta which it's main goal was 64bit support. Here is a link to their forums: http://www.daemon-to...ight=beta#21038
Even their admins say they "never thought soo many persons sign in for betagroup".
I believe this does show the increasing demand for 64bit support. People on the planetamd64 forums have been asking for virtual drive support ever since 64bit went beta and they thousands of members not counting the ones who aren't registered.

Very true but their is no point in even providing a beta.. if only for the meer satisfaction of the number of people who want the update prematurely. Simply because the Os is not retail yet and it will be wasted work at best, sure they might not change anything but they could change alot and then they'll need to put in even more work on the same area of the software. As a paying customer and loyal supporter i would think the time better spent on things more relevant at this point. Such as blacklistings and new protection types to say the least.

64 bit will be addressed but only when fesiable from a logical standpoint, I dont think anyone but a bridge before they knew where is was going to end up.

Edited by 2005, 14 March 2005 - 02:28 AM.

#63 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:08 AM

Daemon Tools and Alcohol are related so as to speak. Alcohol-Soft will decide when the time is right for them to pursue this avenue. So just hang in there. smile.gif

#64 Nappicious

Nappicious

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 12:32 AM

Somebody mentioned before that they had a 64 bit virtual drive progam that works great - can you tell me the name, I'll find the link myself.

#65 relemieux

relemieux

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:08 PM

x64 has just came out MSDN subscribers!

I'm running it now and I get an internal error when trying to install. When will new Alcohol x64 support drivers come out?

#66 tenndevil

tenndevil

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

All I see in this thread is a developement team that was praying the 64 bit OS would never be released, well their dream of the 64 bit failing and never coming to see the light of day hasn't worked, It's here and now, are we still going to be getting excuses? or are you going to break down and buy a 64 bit system to develope with since it was already stated by a member of the developement team that the 64 was to expensive to even consider buying.

#67 relemieux

relemieux

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

As a software developer myself, I know that if an application was made properly in 32-bit, a conversion shouldn't be all that difficult. If your code is a mess, it may be nearly impossible to convert to 64-bit.

#68 buzz1

buzz1

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

The last 2 posts in this thread are unfair to Alcohol, even though I am one of those who think the 64 bit development should have been started on RC2 as Nvidia released WHLQ drivers, which indicates to me the OS must be almost 100% final.

I understand this is not a priority as few systems currently run Win 64, but as 64 bit processors have been out for around 2 years and Microsoft has been reported as offering free updates from 32 to 64 bit, I think the initial uptake could be a lot faster than expected.

I would like to point out (Also as a developer) that when converting normally applications from 32 to 64 bit is relatively easy, however programs such as Alcohol probably use a lot of low level operating system access which would likely make the task much more complex.

Can Alcohol please move this up the priority list as incompatibilities either software or hardware should be one of the most important issues to resolve.

#69 PhatSOB

PhatSOB

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 05:27 AM

I am sure tha tthere are low level drivers that are used but x64 is now officially RTM and we cn expect an OEM in lesss the a month or 2 so everyone is going to need ot get a move on to get their drivers out for this OS. x64 may make up a small percentage of the users of most apps but advanced apps such as Alcohol aren't used by only normal users. alot of you r customers are using x64 and willneed suport within a few months. It is time for you guys to get on the ball and stat pushing out beta x64 apps.

#70 Development

Development

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:17 AM

I want to stop all this discsussion and tell all that AMD-64 drivers are ready long ago, but they will be released only after internal testing will be finished with new driver architecture.

No release estimates as usually - you will see it when in our opinion "it's done".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users