Azureus does not work when Alcohol is installed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Trial User_WHopperle_*

Trial User_WHopperle_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hello,

The problem is described here http://www.azureuswi...reus_disappears...

The thing is that only uninstalling ALcohol 120 % works, which I don't want because I'm allready thinking of buying the software but if this problem persists I will look for an alternative...

in the azureus help forum i was told that this is the problem with alcohol 120% --> http://sourceforge.n...forum_id=349817

unfortunately I don't know more about the nature of the problem... so if someone could please help me??

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:16 AM

Sorry, this is the first I've heard of this.

#3 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:36 AM

Which is the version of Alcohol? Have you tried with the latest version 1.9.6.4719( for Windows 2000 and newer)? You can also try installing the latest version of the SPTD driver( 1.40) from the www.duplexsecure.com after installing Alcohol.

#4 Trial User_Whopperle_*

Trial User_Whopperle_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Feb 10 2007, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which is the version of Alcohol? Have you tried with the latest version 1.9.6.4719( for Windows 2000 and newer)? You can also try installing the latest version of the SPTD driver( 1.40) from the www.duplexsecure.com after installing Alcohol.

it is the newest version...

what is the SPTD driver? Sorry but, I don't get it just from looking at the website

#5 Trial User_Whopperle_*

Trial User_Whopperle_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:46 AM

Well, I installed SPTD but the problem still persists

#6 Trial User_Whopperle_*

Trial User_Whopperle_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:58 AM

now azureus works if alcohol 120 is not running but as soon as i start alcohol azureus minimizes and shuts off...

#7 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

I just tested on my system running Azureus 2.5.0.4 and Alcohol 1.9.6.4719 with SPTD 1.39 under Windows XP x64 with no problems whatsoever.

#8 Trial User_Whopperle_*

Trial User_Whopperle_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2007 - 11:39 PM

Well it did run for some time but then it started to fail...

Azureuswiki says the problem is caused by the file AxShlex.dll... what does this file do?

#9 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:58 AM

Provides the Shell Extension (Context Menu).

#10 Trial User_amc6010_*

Trial User_amc6010_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:01 AM

I should point out that it appears to actually crash the Java VM in Azureus itself, so it may be a more general issue with Java. We've seen quite a few cases in the Azureus forum where the presence of Alcohol seems to cause Azureus / Java to crash.

To the original poster - what version of Java do you have installed?

#11 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:59 AM

Also, what AV are you using? NOD32 is known to cause issues with Azureus unless you add it to the IMon exceptions list.

#12 Trial User_Whopperle_*

Trial User_Whopperle_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:12 PM

I am using Java 1.6.0

and Antivir Build NR 217

#13 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

Perhaps that's the problem. I'm using Java 1.5.0.10 on my system. Try uninstalling your java version and reverting down. I sincerely doubt that axshlex.dll would be causing a problem with Azureus, as all it does it add the mount/unmount options to Windows' context menu. In no way should it interfere with any other programs.

#14 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:25 AM

I sincerely doubt that axshlex.dll would be causing a problem with Azureus, as all it does it add the mount/unmount options to Windows' context menu. In no way should it interfere with any other programs

I have to agree totaly with Jito463 And if this is the case its not a bug that Alcohol should be looking into to resolve but rather the other way round, it should be the develpment team of Azureus looking to resolve the problem.

I notice in your post one link http://www.azureuswi...reus_disappears where is seems Azureus has quiet a few problems with other softwares .dll files

#15 Trial User_Whopperle_*

Trial User_Whopperle_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:11 AM

Well, I don't know why but the problem doesn't persist anymore...

Maybe it was an automatic windows update or something...

thx anyway

#16 Trial User_laughingLoki_*

Trial User_laughingLoki_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Feb 14 2007, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sincerely doubt that axshlex.dll would be causing a problem with Azureus, as all it does it add the mount/unmount options to Windows' context menu. In no way should it interfere with any other programs

I have to agree totaly with Jito463 And if this is the case its not a bug that Alcohol should be looking into to resolve but rather the other way round, it should be the develpment team of Azureus looking to resolve the problem.

I notice in your post one link http://www.azureuswi...reus_disappears where is seems Azureus has quiet a few problems with other softwares .dll files

I can confirm that there is an issue with Azureus with the latest JRE (v6) and Alcohol 120%. Is there a way to disable the Alcohol shell extension? I never use it anyway.

Thanks.

#17 Trial User_laughingLoki_*

Trial User_laughingLoki_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

I forgot to mention that I'm also using Vista with all the latest updates. I don't know how the other guest got Azureus working, but I'd appreciate any help he could provide.

The bug only seems to affect torrents that download a large total of files (i.e. 1 GB or more).

#18 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

What you should do is go back to the developer for Azureus and have him contact Alcohol directly if he feels that it is indeed the cause of this issue. If it's true, only he would have the necessary bugcheck information to find a workaround for this issue anyway.

Generally, when a program crashes out, you contact the devs for the program that's crashing, not another software that you think might be the problem. For example, if Alcohol is crashing, you contact us. If it's not, there's not a whole lot we can do for you.

I'm going to lock this topic for two reasons.

1) If Alcohol is not the cause of the problem, then we're just wasting time here that can be better spent helping customers (or potential customers) of Alcohol Soft.

2) If Alcohol is the cause of the problem, then the only way to resolve it is for the devs of Azureus to contact Alcohol Soft directly and for them to work it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users