#1 jus

jus

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:21 AM

Hi
i have a sony crx 140 very old , but with clone cd it does copy every thing(almost smile.gif )

with Alcohol I can't read subcodes, so i can't copy some games
what can i do?

is there some tweaks to setup Alcohol read sub with my drive?

#2 Jackie

Jackie

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:45 AM

Just take a new drive.
Some old drives cant read the subcodes.ANd some of them they dont support DPM.

#3 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:47 AM

I would suggest upgrading your drive. You'll probably find the latest protections will not backup successfully with your old drive so sooner or later you'll have to upgrade anyway as protections are becoming more and more hardware dependent.

#4 jus

jus

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:12 AM

ok thanks
what drive should i buy ?
a plex 52x?

#5 pollutedshine

pollutedshine

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:53 AM

:ph34r:Get a DVD burner to do games, they are slower and therefore much more accurate. I'm not a representative, but get a Sony! I have a DRU510A, they are now a dual layer under the same model number, (mines not). Theres nothing this puppy cant do. If you look at the forum bout safedisc 3.20.022 you'll see a heap of people who cant copy it, Mine did it and didnt bat an eyelid, I was shocked to see people in the forum with current burners: pioneer, phillips, plextor, liteon, etc etc, that are struggling. Not too mention theyr'e only worth bout $220 AU. And you get a ton of support with Sony. I'll stop raving now, I look like a dog with rabies.

Edited by pollutedshine, 26 August 2004 - 10:54 AM.

#6 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 11:00 AM

If you look in the off topic forum there is a number of posts regarding which burner to buy. I believe LiteOn kicked some serious booty there.

If your on a tight budget then LiteOn drives are pretty good bang for your buck and are among the best when it comes to SafeDisc. Plexetor Premiums are another popular brand, although more expensive, are one of the better drives when Securom is concerned.

#7 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:26 PM

Correct me if im wrong But Liteon wins over the Plex drives over all if I'm not mistaken.

#8 pollutedshine

pollutedshine

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:29 PM

ph34r.gif Correct me if I'm wrong but Sony kicks all a***s.

#9 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:40 PM

Liteon makes Sony drives.

#10 pollutedshine

pollutedshine

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:03 PM

ph34r.gif Look a little harder, Sony owns Liteon.

#11 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 03:36 PM

mmmhmmm rrrriiiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhttttttt I looked liteon makes liteon along with OTHER drive companies. dont know if you looked but i have seen many of Sony drives being rebagged Liteon drive.

Edited by BigTy, 26 August 2004 - 11:11 PM.

#12 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:27 PM

Ty, you need a little more emphasis on right. it should be more like riiiiiggghhtt. More in the sounds of Dr. Evil.

#13 Max-Burn

Max-Burn

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:22 PM

I love my Pioneer 108 & my sony dru510a has done OK. I prefer my 108 as it is quicker to read than the sony.

#14 pollutedshine

pollutedshine

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:22 AM

ph34r.gif You made me pull out the big guns. OK Sony doesnt own Liteon as such, but they are a stock controlled affiliate, so they may as well own them. Heres some interesting quotes and pic's for you if you think I made it up.

I really like this drive. I don't care if it's a re-badged Sony

I love liteon drives, but this one is disappointing. It's a relabeled oem sony

The LiteOn LDW-400D is a rebadged Sony

The SOHD-167T is the latest internal half-height DVD-ROM from LiteON. The drive supports 16X DVD-ROM and 48X CD-ROM reading speeds, exactly the same as the previous models, the XJ-HD163 and the XJ-HD165H. We will compare the three drives in an attempt to find out if the newer model has any improvements over its predecessors, and in general see how it performs under our usual suite of tests.

The drive's model name, SOHD-167T, is coded according to the SONY Alliance Models ODD Naming Rule

LITE-ON IT CORP. has released the SOHW-812S half-height ATAPI / E-IDE 8x DVD Dual ReWriter. Sharing internal parts and mechanism with the previous LiteOn model (LDW-811S), the drive is capable of writing DVD+R and DVD-R media at 8x, while the rewritable speed is 4x for both DVD+RW and DVD-RW formats.

Thats the inside of the LiteOn 812s.

Attached Files

Edited by pollutedshine, 27 August 2004 - 12:24 AM.

#15 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:14 AM

ummm I know that they would dude when sony uses liteon parts.

#16 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:50 AM

Ok, let's just put an end to this once and for all:

QUOTE (From Lite-On's corporate web page)
The former LITE-ON Technology Corporation gathered some elite scientist and engineers from ITRI ( Industrial Technology Research Institute ) in 1995 to start an optical storage research and manufacturing business. Currently we have over 130 engineers with Master & Ph.D. degrees in our R & D team, that are dedicated to the development of our patented anti-vibration mechanical design, advanced circuit design, firmware programming & performance tuning.

Their achievement is a key factor that has ensured our success in product development. In 1997, LITE-ON Technology Corporation established a large manufacturing facility in China enabling us to provide optimum OEM/ODM support to all 1st-Tier PC makers, which further demonstrated our success in the worldwide CD-ROM market. Today, we are among TOP-3 CD-ROM drive manufacturer worldwide ( No. 1 in Taiwan ). We also have received top brand name recognition in many regions. These achievements, plus superb management vision and planning, enabled us to continue our growth and profit even at times when CD-ROM market experienced "price-wars" and many players were forced out.

In 1999, we created LITE-ON Information Technology Corporation (LITE-ON I.T.), another proud member of LITE-ON Group, to concentrate in optical storage business. We are going to carry on the tradition of developing CD-ROM products to expand our research and manufacturing capacity to new generations of products such as DVD, CD-RW, and COMBO drives & introduce to OEM/ODM markets.

#17 pollutedshine

pollutedshine

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:57 AM

ph34r.gif did you look at the image? Liteon uses Sony parts, all parts execpt the laser and spindle, which are imports from wherevers cheapest at the time therefore keeping the price of Liteon well below Sony. Liteon will venture out on their own very soon so articles say. Their are even articles explaining how to overclock your Liteon using Sony parts from different models and vice versa. Sony and Liteon are the same thing. But Sony is the original, using liteon to sell more units at a lower price, knowing idiots like me will pay extra for a drive with Sony written on it.

You know its funny how Liteon makes no affiliation with Sony, even though you pull apart their drives and there's Sony all over it. Making improvements and mods to existing hardware doesnt make it yours. Anyway I'm over it.

Edited by pollutedshine, 27 August 2004 - 04:35 AM.

#18 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 04:59 AM

Gone pretty much off topic so thats where the post can be found from now on.

#19 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:56 PM

Ok Good thought but WRONG. I had an old Dodge D100 pick-up truck. It said Dodge Ram all over even the VIN # and interior. You pop the hood on it and it's Japanese all over. I kept loooking around and found out the Dodge and Mitsubishi had a combined effort to manufacture this truck. All tools needed to be metric, but it was a dodge truck. Who do you think the big dog on that project was mitsubishi? I dont think do Dodge has been around longer, but yet they choose to use Mitsubishi to pretty much do everything under the body. So Lite-on may use some Sony and Sony may use some Lite-on, it doesnt really matter when you can choose what you get your money's worth out of.

#20 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:01 PM

Bad example, Shawn. I agree with you, but that was a poor choice. Dodge, Mitsubishi, Jeep, Eagle and Plymouth are all part of the Daimler-Chrysler corporation. They're owned by the same company smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users