10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:24 PM

AMD 4000+ CLAWHAMMER WITH TWO MEG OF RAM , NVIDIA 6800 GT

I changed some fans to make it quiter and am wondering if my temps are to high

Fans changed

Vga zalman quite ( runnning in silent mode )
Cpu zalman quite ( runnning in silent mode )
Quite 120mm exhaust fan
Fanless PSU ( with automatic fan back up )

Hard drve a constant 33
Case temp between 38-42
Cpu idle to light use 42-45
Cpu heavy load ( Video conversion ) maximum between 49-53
Games between 47-50

Is this to high or is it ok , my system is very stable with no problems.

I still want a fanless northbridge cooler

Any feedback will be appreciated

#2 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 05:54 PM

Might be a little high, how do you have the fans situated? do any of them blow air over the CPU, is it tucked away into a desk with little or no ventilation?

#3 fowebbs

fowebbs

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (shawn_nee @ Jul 29 2005, 05:06 PM)
Might be a little high, how do you have the fans situated? do any of them blow air over the CPU, is it tucked away into a desk with little or no ventilation?

In a little family computer room with ventilation when the windows are open , no fans blow onto the cpu except for the cpu fan , are you saying these temp are damaging the pc

#4 fowebbs

fowebbs

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (fowebbs @ Jul 29 2005, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (shawn_nee @ Jul 29 2005, 05:06 PM)

In a little family computer room with ventilation when the windows are open , no fans blow onto the cpu except for the cpu fan , are you saying these temp are damaging the pc

at the moment the windows are open my case temp on 37 and cpu on 51 as i am encoding a dvd

#5 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:21 PM

Thats a tad high, you may want to put a new layre of that junk over your cpu... forget what its called though. Thermal grease maybe??? Also I assume these fans are takeing air out of the case correct.

#6 fowebbs

fowebbs

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (2005 @ Jul 29 2005, 05:33 PM)
Thats a tad high, you may want to put a new layre of that junk over your cpu... forget what its called though. Thermal grease maybe??? Also I assume these fans are takeing air out of the case correct.

yes they are taking it out ithink that silence is coming at a price then , i have used artic paste recently

#7 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:33 PM

When you say the "windows" are you talking about the sides of the case, or your house windows?

Try this as an expiriment, take the sides off the case and see what the temp drops down to. Can you list both the loaded and unloaded temps?

#8 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:52 PM

That is a little warm, but I think much of it is because of running your fans spun down to a "silent" mode. As an expirement, you could try cranking up the fans and see how far the temps go down. If it doesn't go down much, you might have a problem. Check that your HSF is making full contact with the CPU. Make sure you're not creating a vacuum (too much going out, not enough coming in). Also, if the computer is in an enclosed desk, try moving it out to the top of the desk - at lest temporarily.

#9 fowebbs

fowebbs

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:12 PM

ok done some mods and my pc is near silent and here are my new temps

idle cpu 37/38
hard drive 35
nvidia 6800 gt 64
case temp 39

heavy load video comversion

cpu 42/43
hard drive 36
case temp 44

these are monitered with motherboard monitor five and cool and quite from amd included with the msi motherboard

this is a good drop and hopefullythese temps are fine now.

cpu quite zalman fan running on idle
vga quite zalman fan running on idle
two antec 120mm case fans on idle(one in the rear as an exhaust and the other i cut a port ibto the side of the case then made a funnel to the cpu and this is intake )
old 90mm cpu fan set on idle set to cool the hard drive

#10 pollutedshine

pollutedshine

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (fowebbs)
Hard drve a constant 33
Case temp between 38-42
Cpu idle to light use 42-45
Cpu heavy load ( Video conversion ) maximum between 49-53
Games between 47-50

Personally I'd Say that Temps fine for an AMD.
Facts from my personal experience
1. Temp readers can be inaccurate - generally on the high side.
2. AMD's run hot, most 64 clawhammers are rated to 80c max.
3. Factory fans and sinks will always run hot.
4. Most newer PSU's blow hot air downwards into the case.
Facts from my experience to drop temps
5. Copper heatsinks dramatically drop temps
6. Passive intakes on your case to the cpu fan, also dramatically drop temps.
7. An outtake fan between PSU and DVD rom will drop the temp again.
8. Thermal Tapes are better than Thermal Pastes.

Following this my XP 3200 Barton went from 45-55c down to 33-38c. Yes it is very noisy and no There was no performance gain. It did however provide piece of mind.

Edited by pollutedshine, 01 August 2005 - 03:25 AM.

#11 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:07 AM

Actually Polluted, AMD64's tend to run pretty cool. Especially when compared against the latest Prescott P4's. The 80c you referred to is maximum temperature at which the CPU will operate, not the temperature at which the CPU runs. When AMD talks about the thermal output on their processors, they're referring to under maximum load, not average like Intel does with the P4's. My 3200+ usually runs 30-35c idle and 35-40c under load. Though you are right about the temperature guages not always showing accurate temps. Of course, if you want to talk about hot running chips, get yourself an old 1.4GHz AMD Athlon with the thunderbird core. That was the hottest chip AMD ever made. On average mine ran 55-60c *idle*. That was a smoker, but it was designed on a ceramic die so in spite of the high temps it could handle it and keep running.

#12 fowebbs

fowebbs

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Aug 1 2005, 04:19 AM)
Actually Polluted, AMD64's tend to run pretty cool.  Especially when compared against the latest Prescott P4's.  The 80c you referred to is maximum temperature at which the CPU will operate, not the temperature at which the CPU runs.  When AMD talks about the thermal output on their processors, they're referring to under maximum load, not average like Intel does with the P4's.  My 3200+ usually runs 30-35c idle and 35-40c under load.  Though you are right about the temperature guages not always showing accurate temps.  Of course, if you want to talk about hot running chips, get yourself an old 1.4GHz AMD Athlon with the thunderbird core.  That was the hottest chip AMD ever made.  On average mine ran 55-60c *idle*.  That was a smoker, but it was designed on a ceramic die so in spite of the high temps it could handle it and keep running.

jito I noticed that you have the xp 64 bit is this any good ,what are the gains , is it worth installing as a secondary boot to mess around with and see what is compatible.

last night the idle speed dropped to 36

#13 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

It's worth it depending on how many peripheral devices you have that you depend on. The major devices (mobo, video, sound, etc) have pretty good driver support, but peripheral devices (scanners, printers, tv tuner cards, etc) have very little and sometimes no driver support available still. Also, games protected by Starforce still do not work under x64 because StarForce (the company) will not release a universal x64 patch and none of the developers have released patches to update their games yet. And, of course, there's the big one. No x64 compatible Alcohol yet excl.gif . But there is a 180-day trial you can download from MS if you want to test it out.

http://www.microsoft...tion/trial.mspx

#14 pollutedshine

pollutedshine

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (Jito463)
The 80c you referred to is maximum temperature at which the CPU will operate, not the temperature at which the CPU runs.
No Duh Jito! (said with friendly mannerisms) So I would say 53c out of 80 is quite acceptable, on the warmer side of the scale.
QUOTE (Jito463)
AMD64's tend to run pretty cool.
Havent seen one run as cool as Intel's best offering yet, and I apply that as a general statement with AMD vs Intel.

#15 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 05:16 AM

Well, I'm not going to get into an argument with you over it, polluted. But I would like to point out that according to data sheets provided by Intel and AMD, the Prescott P4 3.4GHz runs an average of 103WT of thermal output, whereas the 3400+ AMD64 runs a maximum of 89WT of thermal output. The P4 570 (3.8GHz) runs an average of 94WT versus the 3800+ and even 4000+ AMD64 running a maximum of 72WT. Those are numbers direct from both AMD and Intel. Even assuming the Intel runs those temps maximum, that's still hotter than the AMD64's.

#16 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:02 PM

One other thing, if that 6800 GT is an AGP version then that will generate extra heat I've heard the AGP version of that card sucks alot of juice... needs an extra external AC adapter power supply and runs much hotter then the PCI-E version of the card.

#17 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 02:57 PM

One other thing, if that 6800 GT is an AGP version then that will generate extra heat I've heard the AGP version of that card sucks alot of juice... needs an extra external AC adapter power supply and runs much hotter then the PCI-E version of the card.

In the great words of Hower the wise, Dooowaaaahhh?

Ok you have to stop playing far out in left field, maybe try short stop or second base.

#18 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 03:57 PM

Well, I'm not going to get into an argument with you over it, polluted. But I would like to point out that according to data sheets provided by Intel and AMD, the Prescott P4 3.4GHz runs an average of 103WT of thermal output, whereas the 3400+ AMD64 runs a maximum of 89WT of thermal output. The P4 570 (3.8GHz) runs an average of 94WT versus the 3800+ and even 4000+ AMD64 running a maximum of 72WT. Those are numbers direct from both AMD and Intel. Even assuming the Intel runs those temps maximum, that's still hotter than the AMD64's.

The thermal output in watts isn't the only factor that determines the developing temperature. The CPU's construction and its effect in the conduction, spread and transmition of the heat to the environment is also important and that perhaps explains why Intel achieves lower temperatures despite the highger thermal output.

Edited by Charalambos, 02 August 2005 - 03:58 PM.

#19 fowebbs

fowebbs

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Aug 2 2005, 03:09 PM)

The thermal output in watts isn't the only factor that determines the developing temperature. The CPU's construction and its effect in the conduction, spread and transmition of the heat to the environment is also important and that perhaps explains why Intel achieves lower temperatures despite the highger thermal output.

Sorry to interupt you guys, are these new temps ok?

idle cpu 37/38
hard drive 35
2 pci express (SLI) nvidia 6800 gt 64
case temp 39

heavy load video comversion

cpu 42/43
hard drive 36
case temp 44

#20 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

I don't know if the 64C are allright for the card but the others reported are really good I think. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users