• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Smabbage

Smabbage

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 12:06 AM

I'm soon to be in the market for a inexpensive DVD burner. Any suggestions? I'm having quite a time deciding on weither to go with DVD-R or DVD+R. I know they make combo drives but they are out of my reach for now ($$$$). I was looking at the Toshiba SD-R5002 which sells for $189 U.S. Any thoughts on it or another drive?

#2 brunetti1

brunetti1

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 06:22 PM

I have a combo [dru500a], but if force to one type I would go for the -r just because media can be had for much cheaper. DRB

#3 Smabbage

Smabbage

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 07:12 PM

Cheaper media is good. I have to think about compatibility too I guess. I wish I had the money for a DVD-R/+R drive. Might just have to save my pennies and get one later.

#4 Pappy

Pappy

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:15 AM

I think there was a post I saw about Liteon expecting to release a -R/+R drive in the second quarter of this year. Anticipated price to be less than US$200. Here of course it'll be 3 times that!

#5 Smabbage

Smabbage

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 02:15 AM

Cool! May have to check that out.

#6 the1englishman

the1englishman

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 08:50 PM

Toshiba SD-R5002 is a good drive, sometimes picky on media(burning speeds) but never makes coasters, i can recomend it.

#7 pokopiko

pokopiko

Beta Tester/Greek Translator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 09:22 PM

The Toshiba doesn't sound bad as a drive.
AFAIK it has no problems with Ritek media, while its a bit picky with Prodisk (Intenso) ones. It also can read+write in full RAW+96 mode, has correct EFM modulation, and can also read correctly safe2disk audio disks. I think it does not read at all CDS 200 audio disks, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I may end up with one mysalf, as I do want to buy a Sony DRU-500, but they are extremely rare here, and the Tosh is just about the only available reliable drive, together with the less good 5-series Pioneer.

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 10:34 PM

We will be running trials on three DVD burners and Alcohol over the next few weeks, and posting our results here on the forum, the tests will be using the same options with all three drives but will be done by three different testers. It should be interesting to see the outcome..

#9 the1englishman

the1englishman

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 11:03 PM

The only problems i have found using the toshiba and Intenso are the burn speeds, apart from that they work just fine, but you need to burn @X 1.If that doesnt bother you then they work fine, at the end of the day even at X1 they will do a complete burn in 58 mins.As to audio protections, its true, that the drive is not great, but i still have my other drives for that.The only thing that stops this drive being #1 on the market is really the burning speeds,and the fact that it burns most unknown media no quicker than X1.

#10 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 31 January 2003 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (the1englishman @ Feb 1 2003, 01:23 AM)
The only problems i have found using the toshiba and Intenso are the burn speeds, apart from that they work just fine, but you need to burn @X 1.If that doesnt bother you then they work fine, at the end of the day even at X1 they will do a complete burn in 58 mins.As to audio protections, its true, that the drive is not great, but i still have my other drives for that.The only thing that stops this drive being #1 on the market is really the burning speeds,and the fact that it burns most unknown media no quicker than X1.

@the1englishman if im not wrong your in Germany as well whats good DVD media for +R/RW and -R/RW ?.

#11 pokopiko

pokopiko

Beta Tester/Greek Translator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 03:13 PM

... on second thoughts, I will wait till I will find a Sony to buy.
This burner is simply too good to be ignored... unsure.gif

#12 luciano

luciano

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 03:16 PM

I ordered a Sony DRU500A on 10 december, it hasn't arrived yet and i still wait for it.

#13 the1englishman

the1englishman

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 07:09 PM

Yakumo DVD-R 4,7 work @ X2 on the toshiba
Intenso work FINE @X1 on the toshiba
Traxdata work well @X2 on the toshiba
SDK DVD-R work fine also only @X1 though
so far all media that i have tried work fine giving good stable results, the only difference being the burn speeds.
If you own a pioneer then stay away from the Yakumo DVD-R 4,7 if you want to burn @X2.
As for + Media i have no ideas as this is not supported by the toshiba.
Still it would appear that most of germany have gone with the DVD-R-RW format as trying to get these disks is very hard as there always sold out, on the other hand if you own a drive that supports + format you will have no trouble getting + disks biggrin.gif read into that what you want wink.gif

Edited by the1englishman, 01 February 2003 - 07:13 PM.

#14 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the answer it wont matter which i go for + or - but uptill not bothered looking about at DVD Media, but thats gonna have to change soon. wink.gif

#15 the1englishman

the1englishman

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 11:40 PM

Well to be honest the DVD-R seems to be the more reliable and compatible, this is only my experiance, but i know most others share it as a point of view. A m8 of mine has a DVD+R burner and he has a lot of trouble with it and with disks not working, mind you he is also 1 beer short of a 6 pack !!! biggrin.gif

#16 Netman (R.I.P)

Netman (R.I.P)

Administration

• Honorary Administrator
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (the1englishman @ Feb 1 2003, 08:00 PM)
.....mind you he is also 1 beer short of a 6 pack !!! biggrin.gif

well, my friend and colleague robbo doesn't quite fall into this category. he has a full six pack he just lacks the little plastic thingy that holds it all together. tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif :woot:

#17 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (netman @ Feb 2 2003, 02:15 AM)
QUOTE (the1englishman @ Feb 1 2003, 08:00 PM)
.....mind you he is also 1 beer short of a 6 pack !!! biggrin.gif

well, my friend and colleague robbo doesn't quite fall into this category. he has a full six pack he just lacks the little plastic thingy that holds it all together. tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif :woot:

blink.gif Netman my old friend you been on the Single Malts again or the good old Kentucky yehaa Juice :whistle:

#18 Smabbage

Smabbage

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 02:46 PM

Well, I found a Verbatim DVD+R/+RW drive here in the states for $217 U.S. Now I just need to find $217. smile.gif

#19 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 02 February 2003 - 03:38 PM

DUDE get teh Sony. and stop playing.

#20 Smabbage

Smabbage

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 449 posts