#1 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:00 AM

Hello again.

I suppose i'm waiting Jito answer tongue.gif

Well, it's supposed that we open a cibercafe, we will rent computers, but we may choose a bit the config...
I thought about having only 32bit processors, to avoid problems with games (specially online RPGs) and because we dont have 64bit windows licenses (only 32bits).

Which common pc-configuration could be good? We dont want to expend too much money as we don't know if the business will survive, but we need a good computers to deal with latest games that could be multiplayer.
(If possible with GigaEth nic in botherboard tongue.gif ).

thankss

#2 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:03 AM

Well, who am I to disappoint. biggrin.gif

Keep in mind that - aside from the Celeron - every processor out there is 64-bit capable (including the Sempron). Now, my personal bias would say to use the Athlon64 X2, on a Nforce4/5 chipset. However, I can't deny that the C2D is a worthy alternative (though you'll likely never catch me running one personally). Also, you'll probably want at least 2GB of RAM, which is excessively cheap right now. We just dropped our prices at work from $119/GB of DDR2, to $59/GB within a months span. As for video card, the 8800GTS is a good bang-for-the-buck card out right now (the 320MB model). Hard drives are pretty cheap, too. Probably should get about 250GB per machine for the games (my games directory on my HDD right now is 236GB).

As for optical drives, unless you want the customers able to burn stuff to CD, I wouldn't put one in the machines. I would use images mounted over the network from a server to play and install. In fact, even if you want them to be able to burn, I would make it use iSCSI to burn to a server located behind the counter, so they have to come up to you to get the CD/DVD (thus, you can charge them for the right to burn stuff off and they won't be able to leave with the disc without paying for it).

Going by US prices, figuring about $100 for a decent MoBO (f.e. the Gigabyte board in my sig was less than $100 with Gb LAN), $100 for an entry level X2 (3800+), $120 for 2GB DDR2, $80 for 250GB HDD and $300 for 8800GTS 320MB, that's a pretty good system for about $700. Mind you, I don't know what price range you have to stay within for this project, or what prices you're looking at in Spain, but that would be my recommendation. If you have more "money" to allocate to the systems, you could bump the CPU up higher as well.

#3 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

What the hell is C2D :? and MoBO :?

We thought about having a lesser/cheaper video card :|
Now we should take a look for a renting PCs. so changing them in about a year or too to improve the hard..
I think for a Motherboard there are also the option of the ASUS M2n, which have a good integrated sound and maybe its cheaper (as i bought the Deluxe series at 90€), no :? (i dunno about efficiencies)

What do you think? In about 1-2 years there'll be the need to have such as powerful graphic card :?

The prices here are about the same or maybe 10% more and changing $ for €

Thanks biggrin.gifD

PS. Ah now i remember, we thought about having a shared folder for letting users put there the files to print and if it were necessary to burn CDs/DVDs there and also the option to personalize them with LightScribe or maybe printable Cds/DVDs.
The users wont be able to touch the PC biggrin.gif

Edited by Iluro80, 08 May 2007 - 12:13 PM.

#4 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

C2D= Core 2 Duo. MoBo = Motherboard. Renting is a plausible option, but there are obvious downsides to it, as well. The upside being that you can let the actual owners of the hardware handle technical support if something fails. Also, you can replace the systems every year or so with newer hardware. The downside is that if there's a slump in business, then you're still paying for those machines. So your costs stay the same, even if your revenue decreases. The upside to owning them is - of course - even if sales slow a little you've already paid for the hardware. The ideal scenario would be a company who would trade in the old systems for newer systems every year or two. Allowing you to actually own the hardware, but have an easy upgrade path to replace when it becomes outdated.

#5 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:50 PM

Will be perfect jejeje

Maybe we could plan to rent those computers once we should replace/update or talk with our computer shop supplier about having good prices to change our graphic cards/CPUs computers (in this equips only the graphic card and maybe the processor will be obsolete, no?) and they use them in their low clonic computer sales.

We should take a seriour look in renting prices, and about the time we must pay for the computers once rented.

Thanks for the ideas smile.gif

#6 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:44 PM

What types of crowds will you be drawing? An 8800GTS may be a bit overkill, do they really need 100+ FPS in F.E.A.R. at 16x12?

What exactly is the aim of what your doing?

I do like the idea of not having hard drives on the systems and doing everything like that through lan, perhaps even disconnect the front panel connectors to the systems so that the users cannot put anything into them that you don't want in there.

I like the Core 2 Duo's... the E6300's cost about $165 and can be overclocked from 1.8ghz to 3.0+ghz all day long on air with very little over volting and usually no after market cooling. Plus their more efficient per clock cycle then a X2 is. Downside is you have to OC every rig and pray its all stable.

I guess the X2 3800+ is good, it can be had for $80 in the states... its not a "power house" CPU but it is worth the $80 for sure.

I would say 2GB is overkill for an internet cafe type machine, but for the $/GB you might as well go for 2.

Plus side to owning these systems is when you build new ones you most likely wont need new ram or hard/optical drives nor cases, monitors or operating systems. You could probably re use old parts for one wave of upgrades and then for the next wave start with all new parts.

#7 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

Friday we give the project with all we could.

Finally the computers are:
Game comp.
Mother board Asus M2N-E SLI
CPU amd, am2 4200 dural core
HD 320gb maxtor sata2
2GB ram ddr2 667 kingston
Graphic: XFX8600GT PCx DDr3 256mb
tower: ATXL8029
AOC 17' CRT monitor
DVD 16x LG
M. Windows XP Pro

All for 802.27€

The 8800 was too expensive :/ And we took 2gb ram because was really quite expensive than 1g b (i think les than 15€ due to an offer).

Its only an ethereal project, nothing real (we don't keep in mind doing it!)

--edited--

Thanks anyway for the additional help smile.gif

Any mod could modify the topic and put that it's solved please:? thanks!

Edited by Iluro80, 03 June 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#8 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:29 PM

Congratulations Iluro! clap.gif Time for a cup of beer? smile.gif

#9 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:25 AM

Thanks, but isn't the time now :/

We should make the presentation and the last exam ... at the end of June maybe :''(

I dunno why, but i cann't drink beer... (sorry German and English people tongue.gif ). I preffer a good 'sangría of cava' (with wine its ok also) wink.gif

#10 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

Doesn't matter, please keep hard working until passing the examinations. wink.gif
Good luck! smile.gif

#11 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:10 PM

Don't much care for beer, perhaps its a taste I haven't acquired yet but give me a good fifth of rum and I'm good!

#12 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

Whats this limiting it to a fifth? tongue.gif

#13 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:17 AM

Make a try with a 'clara'... beer+fanta lemon (fanta orange it's also ok, but its not usual for 'clara')... if you make it with double malta beer it will be better wink.gif
You could also try a 'calimocho'... wine+cocacola (and if you want, a bit of any white alcohol)... it's not as good, but makes you feel good so quick xDD

I'm wishing ending School and have the summer to go to some towns to eat good and taste their goods Sangríaas :DDDD

#14 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

MaLing & co. its the time......
I've the best mark in the project ( 7 :| ) and i've finished the course... today i've had the confirmation :DDDDDD (i was quite scared with 'CISCO' and LAN and..... subject, but now it's ok xD).

So... this weekend....... ;DDDDD

Really thanks for all help given smile.gif

#15 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:51 PM

Iluro, thousands of congratulations to you again. clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

I did not advise much, I think you ought to thank Jito, he offered great help. Perhaps buy him a cup of whisky? wink.gif

So now is it your summer holiday? How long is it? Any plan to travel? How about come here? tongue.gif

Edited by MaLing, 25 June 2007 - 10:05 PM.

#16 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:47 AM

Yup, special thanks to Jito and NARS and Zamiel (he helped me in the shadow wink.gif ) too and everyone else i've forget to say:D

Alcohol is not good for the health... only a small cup of red wine or beer wink.gif jeje i think i'm too poor to make presents :'(

Wednesday i've the official printed marks and all schools/universities/.... starts about 11 september more or less.

My plans are finding a job (i need it after 2 years of only studing) and going to university... (i needed an extra exam to enter to any university, but i was too many years without studying and ..... well... with the course i've made i can enter too smile.gif ).. so next year i may have to do it all jeje (puaj!)

Planing to traver a couple of days to a '(health?)Spa or Health farm' ('balneario', i dont know exactly in English, as resort isn't exactly the same) in a little town... (we planed to go to 'Caldea' in Andorra but.. too far for not having car jeje (Andorra it's a Country Between Catalunya (Spain) and France, in the Pirinees).
And of course... in late July we've our city 'party'... with the tipically 'gegants and capgrossos' and 'castellers' and 'correfocs' jejeje (sorry, NO bulls and NO flamenco here)... and in the same week one day we must goto Blanes to their international 'firework display' contest.
I may add some SS to understand a bit what im saying.. jeje (because it's only tipically here and very hard to explain for me... at least in Engl)

And what will you do MaLing? smile.gif

-edited-
Photos:
The 'Gegants' and 'capgrossos'. They dance in the city in some hours and for a traced route.

then, They finish in the Townhall and dance a bit more.... (ups here they're prepared for the photo jejeje)

...afterthat at least in my city, they goto sleep... but the children screams that it is'nt enough and wanna have them dancing much... jeje tomorrow they will go out again.... smile.gif

Edited by Iluro80, 26 June 2007 - 03:06 AM.

#17 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:41 AM

Now the 'correfocs' (it could be literally translated as 'fire running' or something like that) and it occurs in the 'nig boja' (crazy night) after that, we've a big shower jeje... the female 'devils' are very bad!! jejeje (in my city there was only female devils... some years ago i think appeared male devils... anyway in this night, in all towns that make it, usually invite some devils groups of another cities... and all comes and run and burn all!! jejejej and you're trying to block their advance screaming 'no passareu, eh! no passareu, eh!' (you will not pass, he!, you will not pass, he!)... then the devils prepare carefully their forks... and attack you all together... and you could only run jejejejejejeje..... its quite crazy... but nothing dangerous if you wear the appropiate clothes (and go a bit drunk xD).

Here a devil...

Here a photo of the 'scape at dark night' of the crazy night (ah, this is about 1:45am... at 11pm its the children 'correfocs')

And the last one... is the finish of this 'correfocs'.... after that we've the water and music (every year less water) till 6am or so.. jeje

Edited by Iluro80, 26 June 2007 - 02:44 AM.

#18 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:04 AM

And to finish it... the 'castellers' with their 'castells' (castles). You may watched it in some tv programs of traditions... or in SOLARIS OS if you've it smile.gif
Its an old tradition in Catalunya, not all cities/towns have 'castellers'... the tradition i think was first in one part of Catalunya and then it was growing. This photos are from my city group... and last year was the 10 years of their creation smile.gif.
If you goto youtube ie, you could watch more videos about how its being constructed and also how they fall down ('fer llenya')... its really spectacular...

Some explanations says that it represents the family... the country... older peoper makes the base... to young people (children)... are the future and will be in lower floors when passing the years... jeje (something like that... difficult to say in Engl... but i think you got the idea).
The castle is done when the last children is up and wave his hand. Then they should quickly go down... and takes care that the castles doesn't break... there's a mark for making the castle and anothr mark for 'unloading' it without problems... there're many sizes... from 2 people for flor... or 1.... and to maaany floors... jejeje there're very few groups that could load and unload the biiig castles... i think some couldn't be unload from more than 20 years ago.... (i dont know much about it... i usually don't watch them... now i'm interesting in it... smile.gif).

this is a '5 of 7' (5 people for floor. 7 floors. Its also counted the 2 superior floors with the 2 children).

this is a '3 of 8' (3 people for floor. 8 floors)

this is a 'Vano of 5'. (1 people 5 floors)

Well... there're a lot of constructions... this may be the more ... spectacular to see... some construction starts from the top, and it's growing from the base. Some others have a 'needle' (maybe a walls of 4-5 people and a bit tower of 1 people inside... growing all)... jeje curious.

Wishing you like the small sumary of my town popular holidays (or how the hell its said). Many towns near here have the same (but with different 'giants' of course... our giants are one of the most beautiful and better constructed smile.gif).
And about 'castellers', all the year are working hard... they go invited for our towns hollidays and for exhibitions and contests smile.gif

Finish tongue.gif

#19 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for the photographs and instructions! They are very interesting! biggrin.gif

Last night, so coincidentally there was a travelling programme about Spain on television. The place looked so beautiful, and it showed some festival celebrating programmes (I cannot translate the names to English), which were excellent!

Here I just live in a highly populated city, we do not have many of these programmes. sad.gif

It seems you will have a wonderful summer holiday. Have fun with it!

Ahh... I am just as (or even more) poor as you. tongue.gif This summer I have no plan to travel as yet, hope that I shall have enough money to travel to Spain in two, three years. smile.gif

You are right, too much alcohol is not good. I shall just take an extra cup of beer tonight to celebrate your passing of examinations, and the entrance to university. wink.gif Wish you luck!

Edited by MaLing, 26 June 2007 - 11:53 PM.

#20 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:24 AM

Really? Do you know more or less from where ?
I dont know if you know it, but Spain have many regions with their own and different traditions and also cultures with their own language (not dialect).
I dont know much about some of their traditions, but only a part have 'sevillanas' and 'bulls' jeje.
In my country there are also some regions with bull traditions (they play with bulls and fire, not 'corridas')... and some other curious traditions.

A russian girl that i met, last year explained me that she saw the 'castellers' in a program of this kind, and she was only asking about if it were true and possible... that she saw it as a joke and a crazy think jejeje i liked here to many videos of youtube and .... jejeje.... i liked first only with the videos with the castles falling down xDD (i'm quite evul wink.gif)

If you come here, and wanna go to one of this summer hollidays, take the right place and the right days wink.gif Some towns does celebrate some day sin summer and some in other stations.... and i think till June to september or october.
This kind of holidays are only in Catalunya. If you go to South Spain you'll find the 'sevillanas' and 'bulls'. If you goto Valencia, you'll find the 'fallas' and much more fire and explosions than here jeje.

If you go at 23 April to Barcelona ie, you'll make crazy for sure... you'll only see people selling books and a lot of annoying people saying you for buying Roses jeje tongue.gif

We've many curious traditions... some of them very beautiful smile.gif

-

Take the cup tomorrow Mr 'Official Birthday Wisher' biggrin.gif
I'm not sure at all about university... but i wanna try it biggrin.gif THAAAAAAAAAAAAANKSSSSSSSS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users