• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Marcin

Marcin

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:39 PM

I'd like to give a warning to owners of nForce2 motherboards running Windows2000 - do not install the nVidia IDE drivers that come with the latest driver pack (v3.13). In my case, after drivers installation Nero stopped working and was hanging so hard I could not even shut down the system. I found some other posts on the net reporting burning problems and data corruption.
So, you have been warned. dry.gif

#2 IGL

IGL

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:50 PM

i think its widely spread and known that nforce ide drivers suck. luckily i got a 865PE chipset biggrin.gif

#3 Marcin

Marcin

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 09:06 PM

Well, I have not found a single message on the net about Nero hanging with nVidia IDE drivers. So, just wanted to share ....

:beer:

#4 nightmeare

nightmeare

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 09:31 PM

i have Nforce 2 on my computer with the latest drivers runing aunder windows 2000 (i have dual boot XP and 2000) i have no problems what so ever

#5 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 11:56 PM

Running latest nVidia NForce2 drivers on my system with WinXP as well with no issues.

#6 nightmeare

nightmeare

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:00 AM

well if we are then Marcin most likely have a virus....
(like most ppl on this forum around 87% of world computers hasa virus or spyware in them)

#7 Marcin

Marcin

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:36 AM

From what I read XP does not have a problem with the nForce IDE drivers, only Win2k.

As for the virus theory, I don't think so. First, changing to the standard Intel IDE drivers cured the problem. Second, I'm running a corporate version of Norton Antivir. Third, I (almost) never download unknown stuff.
Anyway, there is no reason to get too excited. If somebody does not have any problems with the nVidia drivers, that's fine. But I have lost quite a lot of time fighting with this problem and this could have been avoided if there was info on the net. Maybe my post can help someone else, who knows.

Cheers

#8 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:56 AM

Intel IDE drivers? You said you're using the NForce2. There is no Intel based NForce2 chipset that I'm aware of (if there is, please let me know the make/model of the board). Or did you just mean Microsoft?

#9 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 02:11 AM

Running the latest 3.13 IDE drivers on 2K without any problems as well. I guess its a combination of factors that causes the problem, not just the driver on its own.

#10 Marcin

Marcin

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Apr 18 2004, 02:01 AM)
Intel IDE drivers? You said you're using the NForce2. There is no Intel based NForce2 chipset that I'm aware of (if there is, please let me know the make/model of the board). Or did you just mean Microsoft?

No, not Intel - I meant the standard Microsoft drivers. That must have been a flashback from the old times where we used to replace the standard Microsoft IDE drivers with the Intel ones. Sorry for this small additional confusion. But it is funny how history repeats itself.
Now, as I am replying already, let me add two extra points why I don't think I have a virus: I don't read email on this machine, and I don't use Internet Exploder.

Now, I really can not add more to this report. I don't suppose I will be intalling Win2k ever again, so if the problem was a combinatino of some other factors I want be able to check on a fresh system.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users