1 reply to this topic

#1 Otaiba

Otaiba

52% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 11:58 AM

Before any one yells at me I know this has been asked in the future features forum... and the answer was always along the lines of licensing issues.

Now why would it be illegal to tell the user what protection is being used on their purchased CD?

Ots blink.gif

#2 bobey

bobey

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 03:45 PM

Hello,
Good question. I cannot see any reason for this to be illegal. Some countries ban reverse-engineering of software however some protections can be plain visible just by looking at the files on the cd. Other ones one has to open the files with a hex-editor but still that is not reversing. One isn't actually changing the code or using it in any way. Also one isn't bypassing the protection simply by letting people know which one it is. I guess the problem comes when you combine the two software programs. See because then you are infact using the scanner to help bypass the protection, but then again that would make the burning program illegal as it alone can bypass the protection. So this argument doesn't hold either. I am not a lawyer though so I cannot really answer your question but I too am interested in the reason why this would be a problem.

// bobey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users