• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 05:57 PM

Well my motherboard is dead so i need a new one... so if anyone has a good idea of the best one to get... shoot i am all ears... also a new CPU would not be amiss..

#2 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 07:54 PM

Depends what your looking at M8, are you going to use the same Memory or are you looking at going the whole hog, Mainboard,CPU and Memory.

Found this at Toms Hardware Guide a Review of 18 Boards using the KT333 Chip.

#3 luciano

luciano

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Dec 15 2002, 07:17 PM)
Well my motherboard is dead so i need a new one... so if anyone has a good idea of the best one to get... shoot i am all ears... also a new CPU would not a miss..

What CPU are you interested in?
How much can you spend for motherboard, CPU and memory?

#4 Pappy

Pappy

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 09:52 PM

Hi Phoenix, yes, I went this route just a short time ago. My last 3 processors have been AMD and I've been very happy with the Soyo board. It's hard to decide but as robbo has suggested try Tom's and Anand Tech. This is a very individual thing and each brand has it's own loyal following. I also looked at an Intel system and seriously considered a Gigabyte board. I was able to use memory I already had in the Soyo so that helped cut costs.

#5 Netman (R.I.P)

Netman (R.I.P)

Administration

• Honorary Administrator
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 11:24 PM

if you intend to get a new processor too keep in mind that your present psu may not be powerful enough. soyo and gigabyte boards are fine for the amd world but stay away from the abit boards if you have any liteon drives. and your present memory may not work in the new system.

i always stick to intel processors on asus motherboards using intel chipsets. i never encounter any compatibility problems like that. if you are doing a very extensive upgrade i would suggest checking with dell. i don't know about their european service but they make very good equipment for a very low price. and their service is excellent. i can't build a decent system for what you can buy one from dell. and they will give you just what you want too if you want to use some of your existing hardware.

#6 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the responce, as to a new CPU this close to christmas her indoors is putting her foot down a bit, she dont mind me getting the motherboard as it means she can have her PC back that i pinched for the short term so i guess i am stuck with my old AMD CPU .. shame realy and upgrade motherboard and CPU would have been nice smile.gif

#7 luciano

luciano

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (netman @ Dec 16 2002, 12:44 AM)
...but stay away from the abit boards if you have any liteon drives....

Why?

#8 Netman (R.I.P)

Netman (R.I.P)

Administration

• Honorary Administrator
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 December 2002 - 02:20 PM

there are known compatibility issues with liteon burners and abit boards. strange things like the tray opening at odd times and other things. they may have those issues resolved by now but i'm not sure.

#9 tenndevil

tenndevil

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 06:05 AM

when you get ready jump over to http://www.amdmb.com and see what everyday users say about their boards and problems.

Edited by tenndevil, 17 December 2002 - 06:06 AM.

#10 luciano

luciano

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (netman @ Dec 16 2002, 03:40 PM)
there are known compatibility issues with liteon burners and abit boards. strange things like the tray opening at odd times and other things. they may have those issues resolved by now but i'm not sure.

I have an abit th7 raid and a lite-on 32123s and a lite-on 40125s.
I've never had any compatibility iusse

#11 Pappy

Pappy

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (luciano @ Dec 17 2002, 06:00 AM)
QUOTE (netman @ Dec 16 2002, 03:40 PM)

I have an abit th7 raid and a lite-on 32123s and a lite-on 40125s.
I've never had any compatibility iusse

Hi Luciano, I do know from reading other forums several months ago that people with Lite On/Abit mobo combos were having problems. These involved unusual tray operation of the CD-RW - opening and staying open, etc. Perhaps Abit resolved their issues with a BIOS release. For this reason I did not consider Abit when I upgraded.

#12 ZombieKIL

ZombieKIL

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 02:36 AM

Tyan Tiger MPX
2xAMD 2200+ MP

#13 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 03:40 AM

i have a it7max v2 with all liteon drives not a problem beofre this i had a bg7 and no problems so i would say that would be hog wash for me. i have an OLD dual p2 400 setup you ca get hahaha.

#14 ZombieKIL

ZombieKIL

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 09:28 AM

whats a it7max ?

#15 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 02:44 PM

ABIT. it comes in both intel and AMD. i run intel about to get a 3.06ht to match it.

#16 ZombieKIL

ZombieKIL

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the info not impressed though
and abit i will not get into that one at all
I have always used Tyan Tigers for intel and amd supported platforms
never will use anything else!!

Thanks again!!

ZombieKIL

#17 Alexander

Alexander

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 12:37 AM

Hi Phoenix,

I bought a Epox 8K3a+. It has an integrated raid controller, a lot of interfaces, error led, support for up to 1,5 GB. Runs well with my AMD XP2000+ and 512 MB DDR333 ram. Runs very fast and well accordingg to different test in computer magazines. If you use the raid function (I installed 2 x 80 GB as raid 1) you have to install George Breese "PCI Latency Patch" which fixes the data corruption problems. Together with this patch and an actual bios it runs great. If you don't use the raid you must not use the PCI Latency patch. I forgot: you can connect 8 ide devices. A good board with an integrated sound chip which works very well.

The newer release also owns a onboard lan controller for DSL. And my purchased Alcohol 120 works very well.

Alexander Kühnle
Systemprogrammer from Germany
:praise:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users