• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Attila

Attila

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

Allo allo everyone. I have recently encountered a problem and I was wondering if any of you technical gurus might know the answer... I have already posted on my mother board manufacturer's website but no answer was forthcoming. Wondering if anyone here might be able to help. Well, here goes:

I recently flashed/updated my Bios. Everything went smoothly with the exception of my mouse now not working through the PS/2 port whereas it did before the Bios update. I went into the Bios to see if there was anything I could change but the only thing I found related was USB support for a mouse. It seemed to make no difference enabled or disabled, the PS/2 connection was still dead. It is a Logitech MX1000 wireless mouse with a USB plug. I am using a PS/2 port with this mouse by using an adapter plug since if the mouse is plugged directly into a USB port the accuracy of the pointer is not nearly as high, it tends to jump a bit...go figure, for an $80 mouse...the help forums for the mouse specified to use a PS/2 port to solve the jumpiness issue. In any case, after the successful Bios flash the Mouse does not work through the PS/2 port but does through the USB port, albeit with the same aforementioned jumpy pointer. My question is, how do I re-enable the PS/2 port to start working again and why would it have stopped working?? sad.gif

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

When you connect it to the PS/2 port is it automatically recognised and installed by Windows? If no try to install it manually with the "Hardware Addition Guide"( you can start it from an icon in the Device Manager menu bar- it says "Hardware changes detection" when you leave the cursor on it). If yes have a look at it in the device manager to see if any problems relevant to it are reported.

Edited by Charalambos, 09 August 2005 - 05:17 PM.

#3 Attila

Attila

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Aug 9 2005, 10:25 AM)
When you connect it to the PS/2 port is it automatically recognised and installed by Windows? If no try to install it manually with the "Hardware Addition Guide"( you can start it from an icon in the Device Manager menu bar). If yes have a look at it in the device manager to see if any problems relevant to it are reported.

Thanks for replying Charalambos. Windows does not recognize it at all. So to start that "hardware addition guide" do I need to plug the mouse into a usb port first so that I can make that selection or should I keep my MX1000 mouse plugged into the PS/2 port and start the "hardware addition guide" with another mouse that is at the same time plugged into a USB port? Since I am assuming to start this "hardware addition guide" I need to have a mouse plugged in that is working...

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:24 PM

Connect the mouse to the USB port, go to the Control panel and click on "Hardware Addition". Then connect it to the PS/2 port and continue through the guide with the four cursor moving buttons and the "Enter" button.

#5 Attila

Attila

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:31 PM

I am at work now but I will try this when I get home. Although I just looked at the Device manager here at work and I don't see that menu item. The closest icon that I found was "scan for hardware changes", is that the one you meant? I went into device manager through right clicking my computer then properties then device manager...

edit: Also, are you not supposed to shut down the computer before connecting anything to the PS/2 port? I heard that it could be damaging to your computer to unplug or plug anything into the PS/2 port while the computer is on. Is that not true?

Edited by Attila, 09 August 2005 - 05:33 PM.

#6 cremor

cremor

52% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

Also, are you not supposed to shut down the computer before connecting anything to the PS/2 port? I heard that it could be damaging to your computer to unplug or plug anything into the PS/2 port while the computer is on. Is that not true?

It is true. It really can damage your mainboard if you plug/unplug something at the PS/2 port if the computer is on.

cremor

#7 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:00 PM

The closest icon that I found was "scan for hardware changes", is that the one you meant?

Yes, that's the one but since you have only one mouse you'd better go through the Control Panel( you'll also have to do it in case Windows fail to detect the mouse even in this way. If they detect it they'll even install it automatically or the "Hardware addition guide" will start automatically). Nevertheless, if you can find a second mouse this is the best way due to the possibility of automatic installation.

Also, are you not supposed to shut down the computer before connecting anything to the PS/2 port? I heard that it could be damaging to your computer to unplug or plug anything into the PS/2 port while the computer is on. Is that not true?

Well, I've done it many times myself in case of keyboard/mouse temporary malfunction (always the problem was with the connection) and never had a problem.

#8 Attila

Attila

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:11 PM

Yes, that's the one but since you have only one mouse you'd better go through the Control Panel( you'll also have to do it in case Windows fail to detect the mouse even in this way. If they detect it they'll even install it automatically or the "Hardware addition guide" will start automatically). Nevertheless, if you can find a second mouse this is the best way due to the possibility of automatic installation.

Actually I do have another USB mouse also I kept just in case (I suppose I don't fully trust cordless mice yet, lol). What do you mean by going through the control panel Charalambos? Not sure what you mean by the whole above paragraph...sorry. blush.gif

Edited by Attila, 09 August 2005 - 06:13 PM.

#9 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:38 PM

He means, instead of the System Properties dialog box, use the Add/Remove Hardware wizard in the Control Panel. Does your other USB mouse work with the PS2 adapter? If not, it could indicate a more serious problem. If you have access to an actual PS2 mouse, you could test with that as well. One last option to try is to get another USB->PS2 adapter and try with it.

#10 Attila

Attila

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Aug 9 2005, 12:50 PM)
He means, instead of the System Properties dialog box, use the Add/Remove Hardware wizard in the Control Panel.  Does your other USB mouse work with the PS2 adapter?  If not, it could indicate a more serious problem.  If you have access to an actual PS2 mouse, you could test with that as well.  One last option to try is to get another USB->PS2 adapter and try with it.

Thanks Jito. My other USB mouse does not work with the PS/2 adapter either. I did already try that. What other serious problem do you think it could be? *Gulps*

When I get home from work today I will try these suggestions.

#11 Attila

Attila

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:13 AM

Well, I am very sad to report that all of the above solutions have not worked. Windows simply will not recognize that there is a mouse plugged into the PS/2 port no matter what I do. Sigh sad.gif

Though I am not one to give up easily I just don't know what to do next. I even plugged in a PS/2 only mouse but even that could not be recognized by Windows. Could it be possible that the port itself somehow is defective? If so, how would I fix that?

#12 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:54 AM

If the port is defective, there is nothing you can do about it. Though if it all happened after a BIOS flash, you could try reflashing the BIOS again. Or downgrading back to a previous version in case there's something wrong with the existing version.

#13 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:21 AM

Hello Attila,

It is because you have tested different settings in Windows and mouses with the ports, also you get this problem after immediately upgrading your BIOS, I think it is most probably the BIOS setting problem.

There are many varieties, depending on different mother boards' manufacturers. In some boards, after you renew the BIOS, you need to enter the BIOS setup screen and manually load the 'SetUp Default' (or similar) to active the new BIOS.

In addition, there is most probably an option in the BIOS, something like 'enable P/S2 port' or alike. You have found the setting 'USB support for a mouse', it is just for a USB mouse to work under DOS. If you use the USB mouse in Windows, normally you can turn it to OFF. Also, you are looking for a solution to work in the P/S2 port, so there is nothing to do with this setting.

Oh, I think I do not manage to explain my words efficiently. blush.gif To summarise, first you could try to enter the BIOS setup, and load 'SetUp Default' or alike, reboot and see. Then enter the setup again, and look for 'Enable P/S2 port' or alike and set it to On.

PS If you set to 'SetUp Default' or alike, some of the current settings will be changed. If you have set some particular settings, please note them down and set them back again later.

PPS blush.gif If you could tell me which mother board and BIOS version you used, it would be slightly more helpful as I should be able to check the manual in the manufacturer's site.

Edited by MaLing, 10 August 2005 - 07:38 AM.

#14 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:28 PM

Worst case you can flash it back to the older bios and see if the problem goes away. Would at least tell you if it is the port or the bios....

#15 Attila

Attila

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:27 PM

Thanks MaLing, Jito and Tron. The people here in this forum are great! Much more helpful than MSI themselves. I have been waiting for 3 days now for a response from them.

MaLing, my mother board is made by MSI the board model is a K8N NeoPlatinum2. I couldn't find any info in the owner's manual about this but I suspect you are probably better at these kind of technical issues than I am. blush.gif Thanks so much for even offering to look into it for me.

#16 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:07 PM

I would think that if you tried a regular ps2 mouse and it was a no go then the flash closed it out or screwed it up. like tron said go back to the last version.

#17 Attila

Attila

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:11 PM

Yes Shawn, I think going back to the older bios version might just be the better bet. The funny (or maybe not so funny) thing is that the old bios was working just fine. So much for trying to get the latest and greatest.... sad.gif I feel like an idiot now for even doing that bios flash upgrade.

Edit: I think my Avatar sums up my feelings just fine.

Edited by Attila, 10 August 2005 - 11:13 PM.

#18 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:51 AM

I just had a look at the web site. The manual is in zip format, so I need first download Winzip, then unzip and read it. I have not time to study it yet, so I will do it later.

But I notice one thing: There are three Bios versions, viz. K8N NeoPlatinum, K8N Neo2Platinum, and K8N Neo4Platinum. I know this question is silly, but I hope you do not mind: Did you download the suitable Bios for your motherboard?

QUOTE (Attila)
Though I am not one to give up easily I just don't know what to do next.

This is a very good attitude. But you forgot one thing - Your best friend: Alcohol.
1) When you are encountering difficult tasks, take some Alcohol, it helps.
2) When you are encountering difficult computer tasks, give the computer some Alcohol, it helps more.
3) When you get tired of encountering difficult tasks, use Alcohol to duplicate one of you (provided you do not have copyright), let your backup does the jobs, so you never get scratched, tired and sick. It helps even more.
By the way, let me tell you one secret: I am not me, i.e. the one you are talking is not my geniune body.

Edited by MaLing, 11 August 2005 - 06:56 AM.

#19 Attila

Attila

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (MaLing)
But I notice one thing: There are three Bios versions, viz. K8N NeoPlatinum, K8N Neo2Platinum, and K8N Neo4Platinum. I know this question is silly, but I hope you do not mind: Did you download the suitable Bios for your motherboard?

I don't mind at all as that is a good question. My board has an auto update feature once I start it that selects the right bios for itself automatically. I did check and verify while it was updating that it picked the right one and it did, K8N Neo2Platinum.

QUOTE (MaLing)
By the way, let me tell you one secret: I am not me, i.e. the one you are talking is not my geniune body.

wink.gif

Edited by Attila, 11 August 2005 - 05:33 PM.

#20 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

Ever heard of a movie called Multiplicity? Had Micheal Keaton in it. Sounds like MaLing signed up with the Dr from it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users