14 replies to this topic

#1 maxxcool

maxxcool

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 06:55 PM

Anyone else *slightly* dissapointed in such a hyped card that is slightly fatser then a 3 month old radeon 9700?

270$ will get me a 9700 pro....500$ will get me a limited supply geforceFX.

I dont know, ive been waiting for 1/2 a year for *new* geforce line and i'm not in the slightest impressed. if i were a hardcore graphics artist / cad user i might jump up and down because it did very well there, but in overall gaming there just wasnt enough *WOW* to jusitify 200$ more than a 9700.

maybe its me, but it seems that Nvidia has bitten to much off trying to push the market into advanced graphics, they preproduced thier CG engine, and then produce a video card that will likey only excel in thier own format. advertise the death out of it in hopes of a eutopian adoption of THIER standard....

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? didnt 3dfx do this with glide ? hmmm i just dont know but i think this propriatery binge is a HUGE mistake for nvidia. and it really pisses me off, i love nvidia cards...had tnt,tnt2,gf2,gf3.... this is just a huge bummer for me...they exceled in being just a chip company, but now there trying to move the market and i see 3dfx's mistake in thier future.

they succeded on other peoples budgets for too long, now thier joint 3dfx(rampage)/cinema core is nice, but i dont see how this could be a huge gain for them....they lost a whole product cycle. i dont know.....im rambling now so ill shut up....

Bad nvidia, very disapointed user....now i have to buy a 9700.

maxx

:pinch:

Edited by maxxcool, 27 January 2003 - 10:08 PM.

#2 Smabbage

Smabbage

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 07:15 PM

I think they have spread their resources too thin. Instead of making motherboards, software dvd players and the like, they should have stuck to kick butt gfx cards.

#3 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:06 PM

As a Geforce 256 user i dont see why i should every 6 months or so buy a new Graphic Card just because either ATI or NVidia have made a new Chip thats bigger better than anything else also why bring out new chips in ever shorter cycles when none of the Games available even support half the features from these chips. even though i am now considering getting a new graphics card that will either be a Geforce4TI model or a 9700 from ATI and depending on which is cheaper thats the one i will go for.

#4 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 09:20 PM

Robbo Come out of the closet. dude a geforce 1!!!!! thats like driving a old Pinto. its just not worth it. i have a 9700pro i DID have a 4600 but i liked the ATI. and yes after an overclock i can do better than that standard FX.

#5 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 09:26 PM

And whats wrong with the Gforce1 :in: there´s nothing better than trying to take someone out in Unreal Tournament 2003 and doing it in slowmotion. :whistle:

#6 maxxcool

maxxcool

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 10:05 PM

nice to know im not insane, i have a feeling that the general public is not going to buy this card in droves. its a good chip, i like it but i dont like it THAT much.

yes, thier resources are thinning, its all so reminiscent of 3dfx....they had the world by the nutz, but then bougth all the media companies they could afford, blew a product cycle and nvidia ate thier lunch (because at the time they were a dedicated gfx comapany)

i just dont like where my favorite company is going :no:

Edited by maxxcool, 27 January 2003 - 10:06 PM.

#7 Smabbage

Smabbage

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 449 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 10:17 PM

Robbo, there was a time I tried to play Halflife on a 333 mhz eMachine equipped with a 4 meg AGP card. blink.gif Talk about slow!

Edited by Smabbage, 27 January 2003 - 10:18 PM.

#8 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 11:30 PM

hey Robbo if this makes you feel better MY wife only has a 4200 in her PC. and my daughter only has a GForce 2 mx in her PC. so maybe that will help you out if you feel like MY PC is to much Goodness.

#9 tenndevil

tenndevil

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:55 PM

a 60db fan, 150 degree temperature, and losing 1 maybe two pci slots, is it worth all that?

#10 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:58 PM

i like ot say that card is worth as much as Trons Ex-wife and your Windows logo to me. im waiting for the next ATI card and i though i would never say that

#11 Ki||er

Ki||er

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 10:05 PM

With this news, along with other top sites confirming it, I think I might just use my money on an ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro.

#12 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 10:32 PM

thats what i use and im very happy with it.

#13 WarriorOfStorms

WarriorOfStorms

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:04 AM

I just have one thing to say about ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Vs. Geforce FX. I don't care how much hype the ATI 9700 Pro gets from benchmarks etc... ATI is always behind on drivers and you have to wait months sometimes to get one that works right and then when the next update comes that screw them up again and again. I learned this lesson 3 years ago with the Radeon 64. Nvidia is always gonna have better support that ATI no matter what happens and who cares how good a card has if the drivers don't work.

Thankz, Take Carez and Laterz,

:devil: Ron "Storm" :devil:

#14 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 03:59 AM

WOS i have never like ATI. AT ALL but if i move that says alot maybe not for you . but my people know my lan group has all switched from 4600's and 440's to 9700 and 9500 pros the drivers are coming out faster than Nvidia at this point they yes ive seen some problems in ATI's driver a few times but for the most part the ATI's are on point i have seen on the newer games that Nvidia is starting to have a dent in there driver armor them selves. over all we are in a point were the Videocard market is in a crossroads it happen with 3DFX and Nvidia. Now its ATI and Nvidia i like it Becuase brings back the best in card design for us the customer. and it gives use ALOT to talk about on many forums like thisone. :woot: :ninja2:

#15 maxxcool

maxxcool

100% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 06:31 PM

i have officialy gone from absolutley loving nvidia to almsot hating them....i cant imagine ANY reason to hide the fact that there chip is a 4x2 and not a 8x1 like ati....what are we idiots? lie to me, the one buying the cards?? that seems REALLY suicidal...

didnt thye think it would look a little wierd when a tech site goes "hmmm you know this isnt a 8 pipe card, its a 4 pipe card" ?

?

im confused, i have to wonder whos running the show at this point...is it 3dfx or nvidia??? seems to be a huge lack in leadership at the moment....

maxx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users