15 replies to this topic

#1 tryingitout

tryingitout

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:32 PM

i posted this in the Alcohol 120% forum but I guess its either in the place and no one's reading it or no one knows? =P ....yah thought I'll put it here and see whether anyone has any ideas? rolleyes.gif

i guess this may be a little 'late' since the last post was like 2 weeks ago cool.gif

in any case, i'm rather new to this whole CDR business...personally i've used memorex and maxell CDRs ...though when i used that CDRin program to check out the manufacturer ...the memorex ones were made by CMC (a lousy brand?) while the maxell ones were made by hitachi-maxell (a better brand?)

in any case, i'm looking to get some taiyo yuden ones (everybody seems to generally agree that they are the best or at least one of the best :praise: ) ...was just wondering cause i do see some TY brand CDRs but they are unbranded....i guess this means that they are supposedly made by TY but do not have the TY brand name printed/stamped onto the CDs?

so what's the difference betw such unbranded TY CDs and the branded ones? Any ideas? (The cost difference is remarkable for one and would that be worth it? :whistle: )

#2 Pappy

Pappy

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:45 PM

Hi, I think the quality of TY will be there, unbranded or otherwise. I am only able to get Ty made for Fuji, HP and just lately Memorex. All of the TY I have used has been excellent.

#3 tryingitout

tryingitout

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:50 PM

Hi Pappy

so it should be fine even though the website selling them claims that they are TY but have absolutely no labels on them at all?

*actually what is the difference between these unbranded TY disks and say TY made for themselves, HP, Fuji etc?*

#4 pokopiko

pokopiko

Beta Tester/Greek Translator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 10:53 PM

Branded or not, TY are top notch. Mitsui and Mitsubishi are the rest of the "media holy trinity".
Prodisk are exhellent budget media, and I buy them systematically (1 Mitsui gold spindled = 45 cents, 1 prodisk unstamped spindled= 26 cents).
CMC are crap indeed, and Ritek only very slightly better (not bad when burning, but they peel out very easily).

#5 tryingitout

tryingitout

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 11:03 PM

aah so there's even a 'holy trinity' .... :in:

i guess this may probably sound stupid :whistle: ...but well if say you were to decide between TY unbranded discs (they cost about 40p each in a 100 spindle) versus say verbatim discs (about 25p in 50 spindles) or even TDK ones (about 30p in a 50 spindle) ....

how would you choose? ...i mean of course cost is a factor but quality is as well ....so I'm kinda at a loss so to speak ....

*I've got some memorex CDRWs made by CMC! wasted good money for nothing then I suppose? angry.gif *

I dun suppose you can tell which factory or sth juz by looking at the brand right? ....

thanks a lot once again! biggrin.gif

#6 Netman (R.I.P)

Netman (R.I.P)

Administration

• Honorary Administrator
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 12:33 AM

i've been buying nothing but fujifilm made buy taiyo yuden for some time now on the advice of my friend woody. i can get them at kmart for $17.95usd for a 50 spindle which is comparable to the bargain brands around here. that's about 35c each.

i have used literally thousands of imation cds that are made by cmc magnetics. i have never once had a media-related problem with any of these. i have tried the memorex with the white labels that also show as produced by cmc magnetics and i have had numerous problems with these. i think it may the the label itself that causes most of the trouble.

i have been buying only the fuji lately because they are great and the price is right, even though my liteon 24102b will eat practically anything.

#7 flips

flips

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 435 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (netman @ Feb 4 2003, 12:53 AM)
i have been buying only the fuji lately because they are great and the price is right, even though my liteon 24102b will eat practically anything.

Can't buy TY or any Japanese manufactured cdrs in my part of the world. Best available here are Taiwanese manufactured Mitsui gold and Verbatim Data Life Plus.

However, as netman says, if you have the Ltr-24102B, it makes little difference what you use. It's probably the least media picky writer ever made. (In fact there used to be some info on Lite-on's site about that model and the 12x and 16x models being optimised for burning at max with the really crappy media available in mainland China, which basically means that they can use just about anything. Of course, since the 32x and above Lite-ons are not optimised in that way, that info has long since been removed.)

#8 Netman (R.I.P)

Netman (R.I.P)

Administration

• Honorary Administrator
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:02 AM

i once read where someone was bragging that his 24102b would write a perfect copy on a piece of burnt toast. biggrin.gif

this is of course a bit of a stretch but i have had a number of other burners in the past and i've had no problems with either the imations or fujis. most were mitsumis but i guess the most media-picky drive i had was a philips 8x, and a firmware update fixed most of that.

#9 tryingitout

tryingitout

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:11 AM

wow ....guess its really a lot cheaper in US than here (UK) sad.gif )

anyway back to the topic ....i'm not so much worried about the CDR compatibility with my drive ....i'm more concerned with the quality ....i wouldn't want my data (backing up my impt docs/files that's why) to be like lost after a couple of years unsure.gif

oh would verbatim datalifeplus be a good brand to buy? (its cheaper than the unbranded TY ....or are they made by TY??? unsure.gif )

so in short....shld i buy these unbranded TY? :whistle: and any recommendations for a good external liteon/plextor?

thanks a lot guys biggrin.gif :beer:

oh i think i've got a couple of imation disks arnd ...no probs burning of couse but i think they were made by CMC too? :shifty: hmm ....mayb i've got a 'thing' for them :devil:

Edited by tryingitout, 04 February 2003 - 01:14 AM.

#10 Pappy

Pappy

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:53 AM

TY in a 50 spindle I have found to have an opaque screw "nut" on top of the cover (unlike any others)..on my Fuji and HP it is white and on the Memorex it's black. Also on the label it should say 'Made in Japan.'

Like Netman, pokopiko and others I have used many different types with success. I do feel I get as perfect a burn as possible with TY though (Kodak as well if you can still find them).

Edited by Pappy, 04 February 2003 - 01:53 AM.

#11 Netman (R.I.P)

Netman (R.I.P)

Administration

• Honorary Administrator
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE (tryingitout @ Feb 3 2003, 09:31 PM)
in any case, (netman) how can you tell that the fuji film disks are made by TY? Are there some labels or sth? I haven't seen any like factory-names on the spindles I've come across ....its only after buying and recently checking the atip or sth with that CDRid that I know where its made

i used cdridentifier to check them of course but it seems that taiyo yuden media comes in a screw-top case that is unique. i can also get the hp brand at walmart in the same container that is taiyo yuden.

#12 sleepy

sleepy

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 03:34 AM

I like the fuji, never any problems with it, memorex had a few problems but seemed to make less noise. Given DVD media a spin now ( it cost to much to make mistakes tho ) IMHO all cd media is to fragile, i have 3 kids and i am so tryed of buying software because the kids scratched the game or data cd by mistake. I was told i had the wright to make one backup copy of any CD/DVD that i buy for my personal use. If they made them not so fragile, I would have no need to make any backups. ( They should have put them in a case like the old floppys ) just my 2 cents..... >JIM

#13 tryingitout

tryingitout

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 06:43 PM

Thanks guys biggrin.gif

i gues i'll probably give the unbranded TY CDRs a shot ....as well as some verbatim datalife plus i guess *huge hole in pocket :in: *

those shld be relatively decent CDRs right? laugh.gif

#14 Netman (R.I.P)

Netman (R.I.P)

Administration

• Honorary Administrator
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (netman @ Feb 3 2003, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (tryingitout @ Feb 3 2003, 09:31 PM)
in any case, (netman) how can you tell that the fuji film disks are made by TY?  Are there some labels or sth?  I haven't seen any like factory-names on the spindles I've come across ....its only after buying and recently checking the atip or sth with that CDRid that I know where its made

i used cdridentifier to check them of course but it seems that taiyo yuden media comes in a screw-top case that is unique. i can also get the hp brand at walmart in the same container that is taiyo yuden.

i guess identifying taiyo yuden media by the screw top case won't work anymore. i just bought a 50 stack of fujifilm at kmart and i didn't notice till i got home that it had a different case, actually a pretty lousy one as far as opening and closing. at first i thought that maybe they weren't using taiyo yuden anymore but a quick test with cdridentifier read the atip as the same as before, taiyo yuden long life strategy. the ones i got were rated at 48x.

same low price, though. smile.gif

#15 pokopiko

pokopiko

Beta Tester/Greek Translator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 11:57 PM

My all-time favorites are still Mitsui Gold "made in France", but taiyio yudens/Fujis and Mitsubishis/Verbatim data Life Plus disks come pretty close, quality wise.
Aviod Memorex and TDK at all costs, they have switched to hopeless crap.

#16 tryingitout

tryingitout

68% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 12:44 AM

Hi all again laugh.gif

thanks for all the advice and help ....in the end i just got some verbatim datalifeplus ....rather ex still tho ...*poor student here wink.gif *

oh just out of curiosity are there different types of verbatim datalifeplus as well? ...like made by different factories or sth?

thanks a lot once again :beer:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users