• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Number99

Number99

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:53 AM

I´m thinking of trying out a spyware removal tool, but there are thousands to choose from! Therefore I´m asking you all-knowing guys here: what should I go for? I use Ad-Aware Personal at the moment, but is there something better out there? please.gif

#2 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Number99 @ Jan 10 2007, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I´m thinking of trying out a spyware removal tool, but there are thousands to choose from! Therefore I´m asking you all-knowing guys here: what should I go for? I use Ad-Aware Personal at the moment, but is there something better out there? please.gif

Not really, nothing is a one stop place. You could run Ad-aware, and then Spybot and both would find something the other didnt. Then run defender from MS and it would find something the other 2 didnt. Personally I use Defender, Adaware and spybot. All are free, or have a free full version and work fine for me. You could also look at AVG's free 7.5 version also.

#3 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:20 PM

I´m mostly using Spybot and sometimes I´ll do a second search with Ad-Aware. Both are free and really good.

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

Personally I use Windows Defender and Ad-Aware SE Personal and I'm really satisfied. I also use the very good AVG Free 7.5 but it is an antivirus program, not an antispyware one. It has the option "Detect Potentially Unwanted Programs" grayed with the note "not available in free edition" in a parenthesis so it probably doesn't detect adware and spyware elements.

#5 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

I just use Opera browser and don't install suspicious "freeware" programs, so I don't have to worry about spyware/adware. I run Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D occasionally to be sure, but the most they find is cookies from IE when I occasionally have to use it.

#6 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:58 AM

same as the majority I also use Ad-Aware SE and Spybot was using Defender but had a problem with context menu where it was taking over a minute for the menus to open removed Defender and the problem was solved, so with Ad-Aware and Spybot you will be ok.

#7 Number99

Number99

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:23 AM

Ok, thanks guys! I will try out Spybot first and see how I like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users