• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:14 PM

Users need to activate Windows XP, and it tolerates minor changes of components of each computer. If the changes are beyond that, re-activations will be required.

Does anyone know under this situation whether the automatic activation will still work or a contact to Microsoft for extra approval will be needed?

Moreover, how many times of re-activations are allowed?

#2 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

I think it is 5 activations at first, then you have to call Microsoft to get it reset, then I think it is 3 after that. I have had to call Microsoft a few times for resets, each time they are very nice to me just asking how many computers I have in the household and on that key. I was truthful and told them 2. They give you a new activation code and you are good to go.

I am just guessing on the number of tries before reset, I cant remember if it is published or not. But I think that was the # of times for me.

#3 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:39 AM

I have activated my Windows XP 18 times( always on the same computer of course) and the only time that I had to contact Microsoft was the one that I reactivated due to hardware changes. All the other times were after reformating my drive( for various reasons...) and I activated them automatically with the related Microsoft's phone service. In the EULA the only restriction and the only refference to number 5 is that only 5 computers can share the offered features of the same copy of Windows XP on a newtwork basis( installed in one of them), at least that's how I understood it.

#4 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the answers. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users