• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

All Saints' day is on 1st of November, a day to celebrate all anonymous saints.

Hallow means saint.

Halloween means All Saints' day eve, ie 31st of October.

Soul means ghost (or similar).

All Souls' day is on 2nd of November, a day which all souls come out for activities.

Then why do people dress up and make up like ghost to celebrate Halloween?
Does that virtually insult the saints?
Why do they not do that on 2nd (or 1st) of November, which match with All Souls' day more?

#2 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:45 PM

http://www.woodlands...een/history.htm

#3 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

This is very informative and interesting.

So the 'celebration' is nothing relative to Halloween but actually a custom of the ancient Samhain festival, the 'celebration of All Saints' Day' is a misunderstanding.

Thank you Phoenix. smile.gif

Let me wish all of you a happy Halloween. biggrin.gif

Edited by MaLing, 30 October 2007 - 10:44 PM.

#4 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

****For all Christians out there, I am not trying to start a flame war but citing many research papers and published history documents here. Please do not take this the wrong way.****

Halloween was designed to get the pagans to turn to Christianity. They felt that ofering the ability to participate in some what the same rituals but changing the details as to why it was going on would make it easier for them to convert into the new religion.

Personally I wish you all a Happy Celtic New Year!!

P.S. My 7 year wedding anniversary will be tomorrow!!!

Edited by shawn_nee, 31 October 2007 - 09:52 AM.

#5 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:57 PM

Shawn, thank you for the additional information. smile.gif

#6 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:33 AM

I could say here we celebrate 'la castaņada', this night all people is eating 'chestnut' and 'Bot sweet potato' (cooked with fire and 'boot sweet potato' with 'ember') and also 'panellets'... (a special and specific sweet repostery made from 'potato, sheet potato, almond'). It's a free working day, and also it's THE day to go to the graveyard and talk/remember you dead family... well, many people is the only day going there, because work, studies and other dayly duties...
The 'castaņada' isn't done in whole Spain as i know, but at least, in Catalunya is a tradition smile.gif

I dunno why, but Halloween is comming with more power year after year... it isn't our celebration... and in February we've the day that people is dressing of Phantom, Priest, FReddy, girl (if they're boys), or ie condom... whathever they like... it's the day to be free and to be another crazy person (with no tricks, and being good, of course)

#7 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:58 AM

Unfortunately they've been celebrating halloween in NZ for the past couple of years but its not widely supported.

In my opinion its just another BS event that NZ retailers are trying to take advantage of to extort more money out of people and with all the media coverage over here on childhood obesity, halloween is just what the children of NZ need..... yeah right.

#8 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Iluro80 @ Nov 2 2007, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
people is dressing of Phantom, Priest, FReddy, girl (if they're boys), or ie condom
blink.gif huh.gif blink.gif

Huh?

#9 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:09 PM

I don't know the name of dressing yourself with other dresses to appear like a Pride, a postman, or Skeleton,... well, for our, that day is a 'different' party, with no limits... at least in my city, we know that some years ago, a woman walked arround the city (very early about 6-7am) nude with only a mask covering her face (not normal)... you could see groups of people dressed about the same thing, like a group of phantoms, a group of condoms (yes... with a plastic covering their body jeje), a group of little children (with a lot of freckles in their faces and biiig pacifiers ah, and don't forgetting their nappy/diaper jejeje) or maybe their appear as Son Goku, Naruto, a chicken, Freddy Cruger, bi*ch (they're usually man), Superman, batman, etcetc... very nice day biggrin.gif it's our 'Carnival'. Of course, in some villages there're a carnival with some different groups competing and all people in the same group wearing = (they usually expend many hours and money jeje).

It's a pagan celebration, the only day that the villages people could (half) freely express theirselves, and it should appear a very mad guy making a big critizism to all s/he thinks important... and saying many unsense things... it's the day to being 'politically incorrect'. Then, he 'die', and his body is fired (well you understand that its a doll) the lent starts... mm bad explained buy my Engl vocabulary is as poor as ever xD

So i searched a bit and i've found --> Carnival is the period of partying/festivities preceding the 40 days of fasting during Lent.

Edited by Iluro80, 03 November 2007 - 03:17 PM.

#10 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:16 PM

I thought maybe that was a typo, but....wow. And I thought the moonbats from San Francisco were insane. Apparently, it's a world-wide phenomenon.

Well, you know what they say. You can't spell "Carnival" without "Carnal"

Actually, I don't know anyone who says that, but it sounds good.

#11 Iluro80

Iluro80

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:58 AM

Jejejeje in out case it fits better... Carnaval wink.gif

It's only one day in the year... understand us tongue.gif (but about that woman.. it should be the only crazy person that go nude in February... and when noone, a part a photograph, could see her jeje)

It's said there're a good 'comparsas' (groups of people competing) near Calella (who doesn't know it city? xD) and also Blanes... turistic places that become overcrowded in that dates wink.gif Maybe you want to try it jejeje

#12 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:08 AM

Well I like the holiday... My little girl has sooo much fun dressing up ang going door to door getting candy,,,, It is all in fun....

#13 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

Tron, have not seen you for very long. smile.gif

So you must have been the first whom your daughter asked for candy. rolleyes.gif

But do not let her eat too many. wink.gif

Edited by MaLing, 05 November 2007 - 09:03 PM.

#14 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:24 AM

We let her have a litte bit. She is like any kid, if she gets too much candy she gets a bit nuts...... LOL.....

#15 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

I keep wanting to give out sugar free chocolate to all the little kids around the hood.

Hey, they sayTRICK or treat... whistling.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users