13 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Lindsay

Michael Lindsay

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

Not sure what is causing this issue, Alcohol 120 seams to run. However the register button has no effect. No errors, nothing, anyone having this problem?

so far I have uninstalled the program, deleted the directory and all registry entries and reinstall the latest version and the button still has no effect. Seams very strange

Please help if you can

#2 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:28 PM

Check to make sure no spaces exist before or after the serial number. Also make sure your e-mail address is correct. You should also verify your time/date are set correctly on the system. If that still doesn't fix it, try deleting the StarSynergy key from the registry (HKCU\Software\StarSynergy). If none of that works, you'll need to e-mail support as they'll be more capable of dealing with the issue and will probably require information that shouldn't be posted on the forum.

#3 Michael Lindsay

Michael Lindsay

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:14 PM

Dave for tech support stated

If you click at Register button and nothing happens please start regedit.exe, then check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StarSynergy and delete it

if present, then return to Alcohol and click at Register button again. Please make sure your system clock date is correct, double check mainly month and year.

This procedure does not work, anyone have any more ideals?

#4 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

Please try deleting both of these below:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alcohol Soft\Alcohol 120%\Info
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\StarSynergy

Alcohol must be closed when doing so. Once you have deleted them, try opening Alcohol again.

#5 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Michael Lindsay @ May 4 2008, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure what is causing this issue, Alcohol 120 seams to run. However the register button has no effect. No errors, nothing, anyone having this problem?

so far I have uninstalled the program, deleted the directory and all registry entries and reinstall the latest version and the button still has no effect. Seams very strange

Please help if you can.

You mean that Alcohol runs unregistered? That's very strange. Which edition of Alcohol are you running( e.g 120% or 52%, retail or trial or free), which version and were did you get it from?
If you can really run Alcohol please submit a system report from within it, it may be helpfull.

#6 Michael Lindsay

Michael Lindsay

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ May 6 2008, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Michael Lindsay @ May 4 2008, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please help if you can.

You mean that Alcohol runs unregistered? That's very strange. Which edition of Alcohol are you running( e.g 120% or 52%, retail or trial or free), which version and were did you get it from?
If you can really run Alcohol please submit a system report from within it, it may be helpfull.

No, I wish it did, i cant register the product no matter what registry keys I delete

#7 Michael Lindsay

Michael Lindsay

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ May 6 2008, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alcohol must be closed when doing so. Once you have deleted them, try opening Alcohol again.

Nope still doesnt work, is there a way to manually register the product?

#8 Michael Lindsay

Michael Lindsay

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Michael Lindsay @ May 8 2008, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (zamiel @ May 6 2008, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope still doesnt work, is there a way to manually register the product?

deleted the registry keys above and rebooted machine, reinstalled the product still cant get the program to function. how do I get the old version prior to registration crap.

#9 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:46 AM

Alcohol has always required entering a serial number and e-mail address to register. There is no prior version to the "registration crap". Did you double check your serial number to make sure there's no spaces before or after it? If you still have the old installer, does that allow you to install properly?

#10 Michael Lindsay

Michael Lindsay

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ May 9 2008, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alcohol has always required entering a serial number and e-mail address to register. There is no prior version to the "registration crap". Did you double check your serial number to make sure there's no spaces before or after it? If you still have the old installer, does that allow you to install properly?

I would love to enter my registration number, if the registration dialog box would open. Not sure, but it seams to be a serious program error within the alcohol software registration routine. However it seams that the company is just ignoring the real issues. For example, I found another set of forums all about how to register your product using real product key from real customers. In addition, I found other sites that show videos on how register the program, does this seam strange to you? it does to me.

I loved the program in the past, however the program has become useless. I'm very sorry, but I have removed alcohol 120 from the list of recommended programs. As a computer support professional, I have told all interested personnel to stay clear of any application from alcohol software.

I can understand the need to protect your software, however alienating your customers is very bad, I know you can do better.

Please re-write alcohol 120 registration routine, have it do what ever you would like to make sure real customers can always use the software.

#11 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

I believe Support were dealing with this issue and have provided a number of solutions to the issue?

I had a look at the URL you posted and it simply referred to the two keys we've already told you about above. Whilst you could manually enter all this information, the setup file should do this for you. If it does not then its most likely something on your system blocking the ability to write to the registry as many have not had an issue with no registration box popping up.

Those that do either have an incorrect system date and time (set to the past) which is easily remedied or have removed the two branches above which forces Alcohol to ask for this information again.

In rare occassions some AntiVirus software have blocked the writing of registration info to the registry or have removed the star_syn_client.dll, which is required to Activate, as it reports a false positive.

#12 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:47 AM

I loved the program in the past, however the program has become useless. I'm very sorry, but I have removed alcohol 120 from the list of recommended programs. As a computer support professional, I have told all interested personnel to stay clear of any application from alcohol software.

I can understand the need to protect your software, however alienating your customers is very bad, I know you can do better.

Rather harsh in the extreem, This is an open forum, naturaly we are not going to issue a solution untill basic options have been tried, and only then will we offer a solution based on that individuals problem vea email and not in an open forum. If you have not contacted email support then i suggest that you do and quote this topic in your mail.

I found another set of forums all about how to register your product using real product key from real customers. In addition, I found other sites that show videos on how register the program, does this seam strange to you? it does to me.

No it does not seem strange in the least, if you think we are unaware then you are mistaken, using none legal versions of the software opens a whole bag of worms for the users system and the functionality of the software. As for videos of how to register the software, we make quiet a few of these ourself that are hosted on variouse sites.

#13 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:52 AM

Here is a video which Phoenix wanted to post: http://www.revver.co...er-alcohol-120/

#14 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

If you still have problem please post a system report from Alcohol in case it will help us to track the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users