#1 Shawnturner

Shawnturner

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

Hi everyone, 

I had this program ,trial version, of alcohol 120% ( a CD/DVD backup program)installed to try it out. 

Next thing I know an Alcohol search Toolbar was installed in Firefox (2.0.07) ! 

There another icon with a search magnifying glass and a PD next to it , I Am guessing it's by SPTD for Windows from http://www.duplexsec...om/en/downloads, but not 100% sure ( I believe it comes with the alcohol 120% program) 

I'll really appreciate it if someone helps me with these questions: 

1. Isn't there a safe guard/feture in Firefox where I have to 1st authorize any Toolbar/add on/extension etc before any install takes place ? 

2. Is uninstalling the Toolbar using the "Uninstall" button is enough ? how to make sure? 

3. Does anyone have any idea about these programs ? any risks ? considering that Alcohol 120% doesn't have an unist.exe standard file with it ! this is unusual in that their website says to use it to manually remove the program ! ? 

Thanks in advance

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

1. I don't use Firefox so I don't know to answer it.

2. This must be enough.

3. Alcohol does have an uninst.exe file and you can uninstall it from the Windows Start Menu (if you use Windows 8/8.1 which doesn't have a Start Menu and you don't use a replacement for it - which I recommend and there are some of them in the web - go to Alcohol's installation folder and doubleclick on the uninst.exe there). I suppose you were led to this impression because Alcohol does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs section of the Control Panel, this is due to the Alcohol's blacklisting of some disc copy protections. The manual uninstallation of the program is for the rare cases that something went wrong and uninst.exe doesn't work (it usually gives some error). In general Alcohol is a well-known safe program and you shouldn't worry about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users