#1 bushsimmer

bushsimmer

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

Hello,

I recently acquired a PC from a the husband of a deceased family member. It is running MS Windows 7x64 with latest updates, Norton 360 (updated), and has an old version of Alcohol 120 (version 2.0.2.3931), the key/serial I cannot locate from my family member.

So I wanted to get the Trial of the latest version running, then pay for full access as soon as I can get it to load my 3 virtual drives. {fingers crossed}

I can open the executable but it is not allowing me to set up any virtual drives.

The following message comes up:

"Unable to add adaptor. Unsupported control code received by driver. Contact vendor ...."

In Windows's Task Manager/Services, the StarWindServiceAE is running but the "AxAutoMntSvc" says STOPPED and will not continue running after I press Start.

My thinking is the problem is the installed software is not the latest version so I downloaded the trial for version 2.0.3.9902. I do not want to install the trial over the problematic old version (2012) version. However, when I click the program's "uninst.exe" an error message pops up; "Setup is unable to validate installation."

I looked in the program's home directory which shows 18 files and 4 subdirectories.

Can someone please help me to get this running?

Thank you, in advance.

Gratefully,

Don Lively

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

It is obviously a corrupted installation of Alcohol, so you will have to uninstall it manually. Delete the Alcohol's installation folder first, then search in the registry for "Alcohol" and delete all the related entries. Finally you must uninstall the SPTD driver using the standalone installer/uninstaller from www.duplexsecure.com. Then reboot and you must be able to install the latest trial version of Alcohol as you want.

#3 bushsimmer

bushsimmer

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

Thank you for your response, Charalambos.
I did as you stated, however after downloading / installing the SPTD program I tried Uninstalling, yet the uninstalling option was grayed out only giving me the option to install it only. So, presuming SPTD was not installledI proceeded with the Trial install. Now I am in a seemingly looped ReBoot when it gets to the SPTD installing; 5 times rebooting now. :(

Any suggestions?
Thank you
Don

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:08 PM

Delete Alcohol manually again and then the SPTD.sys file in Windows\System32\Drivers folder and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\sptd and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sptd registry keys (mostly the second one). If you don't find something of these it's alright. Reboot and try to install Alcohol again. If you find nothing of these then come back here.

#5 lute

lute

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

I found Microsoft's Jan 18 monthly update is incompatible against SPTD.SYS

After install this update, YOU CAN NOT UNINSTALL/REINSTALL SPTD.

I've removed it, and REINSTALL SPTD and Alcohol 120%.

#6 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for the information very much. It seems that DuplexSecure has to do some job now. 

#7 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:53 AM

A new SPTD version has been released which you can download here: http://www.duplexsec...om/en/downloads this works with the Windows Update, our developer will be releasing a new Alcohol version with this SPTD version soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Used PC, Windows 7x64, Trial, Uninstall Problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users