19 replies to this topic

#1 jamos

jamos

10% Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 03:26 PM

I know the software companies are worried about piracy but they are going a bit to far with this copy protection stuff. a simple key to register the product on your machine is all the copy protection that should be needed. If they are worried about piracy all they have to do is make the key web enabled and make you register it to use thier product. maybe even lock it to your hardware like MS does..though dont be jerks like MS and allow you to change the registration from one computer to the next as long as its only registered to one computer at a time. calling MS everytime i upgrade my hardware is a pain in the :cen:

be that as it may, lets look at the current situation with cd copy protection and why i use Alcohol 120 and other programs.

firstly the main reason i back up my cds are because of scratches and breaks. i cant tell you how many times ive had to go buy a second copy of a game because it gets scratched or it gets broken in my laptop case..

second, crappy cds. the cds that companies use to make thier products are crap. they are real thin and easily breakable..also they rattle and hum in my cd rom drives at high rpms causing great noise.

third..its my right to do what i want with a product that i own as long as i am not making a profit from it.

Also on a side note:
no one lets you return open games anymore so theres no risk of that happening..ie copy the game then return it. so unless they are actively pirating on the web (which should be cracked down on if it happens) then why cant we back up our legitimate copies of software?

this pisses me off just like the record companies do! :mat:

Edited by jamos, 10 October 2003 - 03:29 PM.

#2 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 04:42 PM

Don't think you will get a lot of people here to disagree with you! LOL.... :tu:

#3 Hburrows83

Hburrows83

52% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 08:35 PM

[quote=Tron,Oct 10 2003, 06:12 PM] Don't think you will get a lot of people here to disagree with you! LOL.... :tu: [/quote]
OOPS...... well let me be the first.... ph34r.gif

[QUOTE]a simple key to register the product on your machine is all the copy protection that should be needed[/QUOTE]

If only it was that simple. Humans are the equivelent to viruses. We want and want to consume all that is around us. It is in our very nature to want something that we haven't got and driven by money, if we can get it through wrong doing then it shall be so. EVERYONE has cheated the system at least once in their life, so from the angels to the bigants there will always be that drive to get something for free (i.e as in this case a free game)

[QUOTE]firstly the main reason i back up my cds are because of scratches and breaks[/QUOTE]

This is far from the responsibility of the company. Incompetence on the user's part does not give you the necessary right to make a backup. May i suggest an improvement in personal technique? and you will find you will have no problem.

[QUOTE]crappy cds. the cds that companies use to make thier products are crap. they are real thin and easily breakable[/QUOTE]

Oh come on.... This point is about as valid as saying "the road is too dark therefore i'm sorry officer but the crash wasn't my fault". Consumers want the convenience of small, light, slim, "fit's in ur pocket" type things, so the industry stives towards making these things (for you). If you don't like cds find another alternative.

[QUOTE]its my right to do what i want with a product that i own as long as i am not making a profit from it.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever read the EULA agreement that you sign everytime you install a piece of software? No? well here is a little extract from one of my recent games:

[/QUOTE]3- Use of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield

The User is authorised to use Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield in accordance with the instructions provided in the manual or on the packaging of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield.
The Licence is granted solely for private use.

It is not permitted:
- To make copies of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield,
- To operate Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield commercially,
- To use it contrary to morality or the laws in force,
- To modify Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield or create any derived work,
- To transmit Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield via a telephone network or any other electronic means, except during multi-player games on authorised networks,
- To create or distribute unauthorised levels and/or scenarios,
- To decompile, reverse engineer or disassemble Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield.[/QUOTE]

This is just one part of a VERY big agreement you make with them and it quite clearly states: "It is not permitted to make copies of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield" and also it stresses perfusely that You, the user is only authourised to USE x piece of software.

You have no right to make copies of it, why should you? If you look after it (as you should do with all your belongings) you will have no reason to need to make a backup. Only due to user incompetence does it stop working. It was given (bought) to you in perfect working order, it should stay in perfect working order.

Of course this is about as realistic as flying to the moon unaided as due to everyday problems things can and do go wrong.....

This is not a personal attack on anyone (especially the thread starter) but just a reply to make you think. What you think you know may not necesarrily be the case and in this modern world "rights" are ambiguous.

Just my two pennies worth.... :praise: :praise:

#4 Andareed

Andareed

Beta Tester

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 October 2003 - 09:09 PM

Many countries have laws that allow personal backups. No matter what the EULA says, in these countries backups are legal.

#5 Hburrows83

Hburrows83

52% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (Andareed @ Oct 11 2003, 10:39 PM)
Many countries have laws that allow personal backups. No matter what the EULA says, in these countries backups are legal.

I'm not disputing the legallity of it, as software like this would be illegal and therefore not be allowed to go on.

All i'm saying is what you may think are your rights may not necessarily be the case.

There are a lot of ways around it of course...... Thank you buraucracy :praise: biggrin.gif

#6 Abjurian

Abjurian

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:07 AM

:no: Here is my only thoughts on this....I have four computers in my home. I have worked my butt off for each one. Fair use? Is it fair I have to go out and buy 2 copies to play my wife on our LAN???? Next question is this one: Have you tried to play some of the new games out? I have been trying for two days to get the STORE bought copy of painkiller to run and it will not start up. Check this out it says I have cd/dvd emulation software on my computer to disable em and try again. So I did and re-booted my system and still the same thing. How is that fair use? Here is an analogy for ya: I pay you for a service and you come knock on my door. I let you in but instead of you doing what your paid to do you search my home and in your search you come across some things you do not like so you don't do what you were paid to do! Is that ok? Rights? Well last I look the US was free???? Fair use, Freedom? Man things are getting really messed up. Here is the real deal for all of you out there. People are not nearly as social anymore. God has been taking out of everything but war! The simple truth is this is all done cause of the lack of love and trust. Force us to do the right thing?!?!? When is it all going to end?

#7 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:35 AM

This discussion has been round for many years and yet the points never seem to change. Until one of the sides (customers or produces) takes a gamble and trusts the other, it will not change.

If things were to change, wouldn't the guys at Alcohol-Software be out of a job? sad.gif

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:57 PM

If things were to change, wouldn't the guys at Alcohol-Software be out of a job?

Not realy, i have 4 children 3 under the age of 12, they all have their own games\educational discs, these are all under lock and key, the images are stored on the PC and mounted in 31 virtual drives with links on the desk top, they click the link and play their game or do their math, personaly i would not be without the back up and virtual drives that Alcohol provides.

#9 ShutDown

ShutDown

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:51 PM

the 'need' for copy protections is beneficial. people are employed to make copy protections, and people are employed to allow them to be copied. think about this:
if they got rid of copy protections then:
a ) the people that produce the copy protections will be out of work
b ) the people that get passed copy protections will be out of work
c ) people will copy more games from their friends and so there will probably be less money to be made in software developing.
d ) software retailers will gain less money.
and the list goes on.

Edited by ShutDown, 18 April 2004 - 09:52 PM.

#10 free spirit

free spirit

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Posted on Apr 18 2004, 01:02 PM )
i have 4 children 3 under the age of 12

@Phoenix: your really a rabbit aren't you? when do you actually have time to do any work? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#11 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 05:20 AM

I work on the job smile.gif

#12 nightmeare

nightmeare

68% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

most of what u said there allso goes under WTO Free Trade

#13 732Mi73

732Mi73

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:38 PM

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with any of this... wink.gif
However, cars are way more expensive and we can't back them up, in case we scratch them or wreck them. So why should it be any different with anything else. You can't back up the mona lisa if it catches fire. The arguments are all good, and the logic is there, but sometimes we just need to not cry about things, and just go with the flow of traffic...... if you catch my drift..... wink.gif

Check out this site...
Link removed, no links to outside sites allowed please see posting rules.

"It is against the law to reproduce copyrighted material for the purpose of selling it to third parties. Some country's' laws only allows for you to make one backup copy of any software or media for personal and archival purposes, which is the only intended use for DVD XCopy Pro. This program is not meant for those who intend on breaking copyright laws. In no way will we be held responsible if you do. Any other illegal use of this software is strictly prohibited."

Edited by Phoenix, 04 December 2004 - 05:41 PM.

#14 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 05:40 PM

However, cars are way more expensive and we can't back them up, in case we scratch them or wreck them.

What do you think you pay insurance for, this is your back up, if your car is damaged you get your insurance company to pay out. this is all a back up is, its insurance against the disc getting damaged.

With your reference to DVD Xcopy.

Alcohol also has the same disclaimer

This software is only for the purpose of legal use of duplication under the current copyright laws. Any duplication without permission by copyright owners is illegal under the current copyright laws. Users are liable for criminal and civil penalty under the current copyright law for illegal duplication.

The software developers and publishers shall have no responsibility or obligation for any misuse of illegal duplication by users of this software.

#15 BigTy

BigTy

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 01:14 AM

Birdman just wanted a basketball team wink.gif.

#16 Tron

Tron

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:22 AM

LOL... The only difference I see is that with a backup you get to drive the replacement car before it gets into an accident! LOL.... But you are right, it is good insurance to back those games and software up. Some of those discs can get VERY pricey!!!! tongue.gif

#17 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 04:38 AM

Its coz you guys drive on the wrong side of the road... yeah, yeah, thats it. tongue.gif

#18 Dr Love

Dr Love

52% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Apr 18 2004, 07:09 AM)
If things were to change, wouldn't the guys at Alcohol-Software be out of a job?

Not realy, i have 4 children 3 under the age of 12, they all have their own games\educational discs, these are all under lock and key, the images are stored on the PC and mounted in 31 virtual drives with links on the desk top, they click the link and play their game or do their math, personaly i would not be without the back up and virtual drives that Alcohol provides.

I have two boys under 12, and a daughter who just turned 18. The three of them could kill a disk collection in no time. I agree with Phoenix, that even if CP went away, the need for Alcohol would still exist. As I've said before...Thanks for a great product! smile.gif

#19 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:56 AM

The cold truth is things happen out of your hands, my brother has wrecked many a my games and enough of his own.... can tell you how many copys of RCT i went through till i played the crap outa it.

If i had the money id get me a big ole 300 gb hdd and use it soley for disk immages, because thats alot of space and its nicer then having physical backups.

Point is things break and procautions can be taken, i see no harm in people making backups of software disks they own.

#20 2005

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:17 AM

Heck now that i researched it a bit more on tigerdirect, i may just get me an 80 gig hdd for my disk immages.... as thats over 110 disk immages on one hdd.

Mind you i dont make immages of every single cd rom i get, only my more expenisve or more popular titles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users