3 replies to this topic

#1 MrCrowley

MrCrowley

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 01:45 AM

Would it be possible to add support for cue/iso/mp3 and cue/bin/mp3 cd images in alcohols virtual cd?

Reason: mixed mode cd images iso/cdda take up a lot of hard drive space cue/iso/mp3 saves a lot of space.

It seems cue/iso/wav support is already there but wav also takes up a lot of space.

Uses: ps1, sega saturn games contain a whole lot of cdda tracks, some older pc games.

I have found in many cases ripping a cd to cue/iso/mp3 ripping the audio to high quality vbr mp3 uses a lot less space than normal method.

Because i know nothing about cd emulation i have no idea if this is possible but thought it worth asking.

#2 Tigerite

Tigerite

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:34 AM

The thing is the cue/iso/mp3 is not then a true image of the original CD, and Alcohol's function is to make a backup as close to 1-to-1 as possible. What you are suggesting is basically backing up a rip of a game and they could get into all sorts of trouble legally if they allow that.

#3 MrCrowley

MrCrowley

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 01:20 PM

I did not ask for an cue/iso/mp3 ripping tool in alcohol there are plenty of other tools out there for that. Its not about ripping games or Alcohol making a 1-to-1 copy. I already have full faith in Alcohol for that.

I simply asked if it would be possible for Alcohols virtual cd to support mounting of this type of files.

As for legality correct me if i'm wrong but i think its distibutions of 1-to-1 copies that does the most harm to software companies not rips, which are good for try then buy.

Anyway its quite easy to convert cue/iso/mp3 into some other cd image type (iso/cdda) which is then mountable/burnable by Alcohol its just a more lengthy proccess and once converted the image is much bigger which means more hard drive space used!

#4 MrCrowley

MrCrowley

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 01:26 PM

1 last thing, if i want to backup a copy of a sega saturn game which i rightfully own to my hard drive and choose to use cue/iso/high quality vbr mp3 instead of huge cdda is that not my choice?

If yes: why not make these files usable by having support for mounting them in virtual cd??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users