• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 famreeks

famreeks

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 04:53 AM

I have wanted to back up my sims 2 expansions like open for business. I have set the alcohol to safe disk 2/3 and it begins fine but drops to a very very slow read error rate to the point that it will never seem to end.

Any ideas?

#2 ptolomeus3

ptolomeus3

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:18 AM

Hello Farmreeks,

to get support, please supply your system report as stipulated here: http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=23848

Seen you are a member since 4-February 03, you may ask to be part of the Alcohol Customer Group. Read this:

Please Note:.. Customers who require access to the Customer areas please contact support_team@alcohol-soft.com with the following.

Alcohol account Email Address
Desired Username
Desired Password

#3 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:24 PM

The read errors are common on Safedisc protected CD's (especially v2.xx/3.xx). Some drives read these faster than others. Some will go through them in a few minutes, while others can take hours to finish reading. You can try the Fast Dump method, but keep in mind that it doesn't always work (sometimes the image isn't good enough using this method). But if you want to try:

(1) Start Alcohol and minimize to the task bar (make sure Bad Sectors Emulation is enabled)
(2) Insert the CD you want to make a copy of and start the game. Might need to play for a minute or two.
(3) Exit the game (do not eject the disc) and maximize Alcohol again.
(4) Start the disc dumping procedure and it should fly through the read errors in seconds.

You've been a member of the forum for almost 4 years now. Still evaluating if you need Alcohol after all this time?

#4 famreeks

famreeks

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Dec 27 2006, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've been a member of the forum for almost 4 years now. Still evaluating if you need Alcohol after all this time?

You are correct - I shhould just buy the full product - it is just that I make a back up rarely - only when my kids get a new game. I have had difficulties over the time in doing the copies and have wondered if it is worth the effort at times to backup.
I appreciate your advice and help and yes will purchase.

Cheers
Mike

#5 famreeks

famreeks

52% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:44 PM

To update - I have now made backups that will install off the images and run- Install -because one of the expansion packs was new for Sims 2.

I believe that the problem with the image making was the power saving settings on the PC - it was taking a few hours to create an image and the PC would turn off HDD etc inside 30 mins. When I set power to never all worked OK.

I cannot install the new game though from the original as it woulld not recognise CD properly - the Sims flash screen would pop up and then I would get MS error report.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users