Photo

Does Alcohol copy formats such as Wii etc?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 penubag

penubag

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:05 PM

Will Alcohol copy all CD formats such as video games CDs? And can they be burned onto another CD as a copy?

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:36 AM

1. Alcohol can't rip/copy everything, Wii's disks in particular are a propietary disk format that can not be copied (or at least I haven't heard of a program that can do it). But the most common protections (SecuROM, Starforce, SafeDisk and others) yes, it can.
2. As far as you can make a working image of a copy protected disk with Alcohol you can also burn it. However in some cases you may need Alcohol's emulation options in order to use these disks. On systems that you don't have Alcohol 120% installed- and you don't want to by more licences- you can use Alcohol 52% Free in order to do this job.

#3 penubag

penubag

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:35 AM

Perhaps Alcohol cannot read all formats (such as videogame CD's) but is there an option to copy what's on the CD bit for bit and burn it onto another CD? I'm assuming this can bypass any protection because we're copying bit for bit including the protection code on the CD. Then again, I know nothing.

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

There are several factors (read errors, EFM errors, abnormal topology) that make it impossible. Not to mention the propietary disk formats (like the games of Gamecube and Wii) that no program can read and copy them because it can't treat them as disks of a common format- CDs and DVDs and, lately, HD-DVDs or BRDs.
Of cousre if the disks are of a recognisable format and not copy protected Alcohol will read and copy them bit by bit resulting to a 1:1 image or copy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users