3 replies to this topic

#1 dsasmblr

dsasmblr

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:26 PM

When logging bad sector reads, is there an option to also log which files are supposedly located in those sectors? I dug through the online manual, but didn't see anything related to this. Thanks!

#2 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:20 PM

No, there isn't. Bad sectors are usually part of several copy protections and mean nothing as far as the data written on the disc are concerned. If you find bad sectors on a disc that you wrote then you must copy the files of the disc to your HDD/SSD and burn them to another one. If a file is corrupted you won't be able to copy it, you will receive a CRC error.

#3 dsasmblr

dsasmblr

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:18 PM

No, there isn't. Bad sectors are usually part of several copy protections and mean nothing as far as the data written on the disc are concerned. If you find bad sectors on a disc that you wrote then you must copy the files of the disc to your HDD/SSD and burn them to another one. If a file is corrupted you won't be able to copy it, you will receive a CRC error.

Thanks for the answer, Charalambos. I need to clarify my inquiry.

Basically, I have a CD I purchased from someone that contains old beta software, of which I am making an image from (there is no special protection on the disc). The problem is there's a tiny pinhole spot missing from the disc film, so whatever data was there, physically isn't any longer.

When I copy the image, I know what doesn't work due to the missing data; however, I'm not sure which files are the actual files missing from the disc.

When I turn on logging in A120%, I can see where it's having issues reading that one spot as it logs them, but what I'd like to know (if possible) is which file(s) is/are *supposed* to be in the error-prone spot.

I've been reading through various technical specs of CDs, but haven't pinned down an answer yet as to if there's something like an index of all files on the disc and their location. My thinking is to compare files from that index, to the error prone section so as to know exactly which files are missing or partially affected.

If such a thing is possible and A120% doesn't provide that functionality, then I was thinking of tackling it myself via Python (or C if a scripting language won't get the job done).

Apologies for the long reply, but I wanted to make sure my inquiry was cleared up. Thanks!

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:36 PM

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, every optical disc has its TOC (table of contents) with all the included files and folders listed. So just try to copy all the disc contents to your HDD and the files that are corrupted/missing will be reported as not able to be copied. Have you tried that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users