• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:16 PM

Ok with all the issues I am seeing on the regular forums, people are using the safedisc 2/3 profile when they find out that the software they have uses safedisc 2.xx/3.xx. They then are told to check their drive to verify if it is EFM capable and to remake the image under the apropriate version.

I have thought of 2 ways to try to keep these questions to a minimum.

1.) Change the data type name. have an option as Safedisc(with EFM) and have the other as Safedisc(nonEFM). These could show with the quotes. I know it probably wont help much and might be less cost effective but hey it's just a thought, maybe it will spark a great idea from someone else.

2.) Have Alcohol scan the drives when installed, updated, or at boot up for optical drives on the rig. If the drive is in the known 120% free list then make only the regular safedisc option available. (This is not scanning the disc for protection, just the physical drive itself and what it is known capable of doing) If the drive is unknown or known to not be EFM capable then would make the Non-EFM option available to them. Possibly pop up a message box asking to check their drive and post a link to the EFM topic if they choose the regular safedisc option. Like I said maybe not feesable or cost effective but worth a shot to try to knock out repeditive posts.

#2 ShutDown

ShutDown

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:20 PM

http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=11668

you could have given me a little credit sad.gif

#3 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 05:15 PM

I cant help it if I posted it in the RIGHT section first... wink.gif tongue.gif

I think we all have thought this before or tried to suggest it somewhere, but just to make you happy,

Shutdown stole MY idea and wants credit so I will offer him 5% of it.

Does that make you feel better? tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#4 ShutDown

ShutDown

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 05:25 PM

ShutDown Posted: Apr 10 2004, 09:59 AM 

shawn_nee Posted on Apr 10 2004, 03:21 PM

haha gotcha:P. i think YOU can have the 5% (if that). everyone, imagine i made this post OK?

anyway, obviously this is a good suggestion as it is MY suggestion. should take like 2 seconds to put into alcohol 120% and could help a lot of people. i think the EFM capability scanning thing is just too much (if the alcohol team like your idea and delays the update to stick the scanning thing in, ill kill you shawn tongue.gif ).

Edited by ShutDown, 10 April 2004 - 05:26 PM.

#5 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 05:53 PM

Your posting times are off I'm central time and it right now is only 11:53 am, either way I'll be nice and offer 49% since only half if not less is what you posted (no details in your post).

I think they would add it into the next update that should be around the next chinese new year in the second month of the third quarter with a full moon and the big dipper appearing in the southern hemisphere and Draco in the house of Mars. Oh and it has to be on a friday 13th.

#6 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:00 PM

http://forum.alcohol...showtopic=10589

wink.gif

#7 ShutDown

ShutDown

120% Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:10 PM

that post doesnt mention anything about another datatype for efm burners...

#8 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:09 AM

Great idea shawn.

#9 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts