10 replies to this topic

#1 burnercrazed

burnercrazed

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:26 PM

I have searched the forum, FAQ's and the on line manual and have not been able to find whether or not the software has a feature that I read somewhere, was available.

When a bin/cue image is mounted on a virtual drive, is there a way to extract/copy the image's files and directories to the local hard drive and maintain the original time/date stamps. Thanks.

#2 shawn_nee

shawn_nee

120% Member

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:32 PM

Good question, is there any specific reason as to why you would want to "maintain the original time/date stamps?"

#3 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:46 PM

That's more of a Windows issue than an Alcohol issue. Moving to Off-Topic.

#4 burnercrazed

burnercrazed

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 06:52 PM

Well, in my case, I'm looking to combine 5 separate office 2003 cd's on to one cd , and although it's not necessary, I'd like to maintain some originalty to the date/time stamps. ( I would think this would be a desired feature in the software)

I don't beleive it's a windows issue, as I have read that Alcohol 120% was a program that was capable of doing this, thus my interest. If it can't, then my question is answered and I appreciate the responses before I spent time dwnldng and installing the trial. Thanks again

p.s here's what I read :

"P.S. I want to clarify a certain parts of the guide.
In step two, it asks you to:
Copy Your Individual CDs As It Is In Folders As Shown Below
but before you do that, it fails to mention that you should extract
your .bin/.cue files first. I recommend you use Alcohol 120% and
mount the images and copy the files over thus preserving the original
timestamps which is what we were after all along, right? There's
probably another program that allows you to extract the .bin/.cue
files while preserving the timestamp but I don't know of it right now."

Now that it's moved to "off topic", Im sure the thread/responses will die. Oh wel, I'll look f/another prog that has this feature

Edited by burnercrazed, 27 December 2004 - 07:59 PM.

#5 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:46 PM

What it sounds like you're referring to is premastering which would require software like Nero or Roxio. Alcohol does not currently do this. Alcohol simply makes an exact image of the disc and burns it back. It does not modify the contents or allow you to burn individual files from your HDD. However, those statements you've quoted sound awfully like it came from a warez source. Extracting Office from the bin/cue? Hmmm...

#6 burnercrazed

burnercrazed

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (Jito463 @ Dec 27 2004, 10:58 PM)
snipped - However, those statements you've quoted sound awfully like it came from a warez source.  Extracting Office from the bin/cue?  Hmmm...

No, actually it came from Wilders Security forum last year and just involved a very good method on how to make images of the original office disks, saving them to the hard drive and then going through steps (yes, premastering, but w/MS cdimage) that enabled all 5 original office disks to be combined into a single install cd. Nothing mysterious here as the quote from the instructions strictly related to preserving the time stamps. Although I did find the answer, which is Isobuster. It will extract the bin/cue to the hd while preserving the time stamps of the directories. A seemingly simple thing to do which is why I was surprised that Alchohol doesn't support it, as the author stated.
Which, of course was my OP question, not a question re pre mastering . CDRW software companies....so suspicious.

Edited by burnercrazed, 28 December 2004 - 03:39 AM.

#7 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 04:36 AM

I think you're the first to suggest such a feature. Combining CD's in to one isn't really what Alcohol is about, its more designed to backup each CD, protected or not.

However as you've indicated that you think this may be a valuable inclusion, I will move this to the Development Suggestions For Future Versions forum where it can get seen by the people who make these decisions.

#8 burnercrazed

burnercrazed

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ Dec 28 2004, 05:48 AM)
I think you're the first to suggest such a feature. Combining CD's in to one isn't really what Alcohol is about, its more designed to backup each CD, protected or not.

However as you've indicated that you think this may be a valuable inclusion,....

zamiel...I beleive you're mis reading my posts. I'm not suggesting that Alcohol be capable of premastering.

The ONLY feature I suggest(ed) is that when an image is mounted as a virtual drive, that there should be an option to extract/copy to the hd maintaining the directories original time/date stamps. That's it and, as I mentioned, Isobuster has this feature.

#9 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:43 PM

Nup, I read it fine. Premastering is already in the pipeline however:

there should be an option to extract/copy to the hd maintaining the directories original time/date stamps.

is a new one.

#10 radix42

radix42

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (burnercrazed @ Dec 28 2004, 03:34 PM)
The ONLY feature I suggest(ed) is that when an image is mounted as a virtual drive, that there should be an option to extract/copy to the hd maintaining the directories original time/date stamps.  That's it and, as I mentioned, Isobuster has this feature.

I don't think it's a feature for alcohol - you should just use a copy tool which preserves directory timestamps. It's not difficult to write a small tool which does that. I have done that some time ago, so if anyone is in need of it, send me an email (it's a cmdln tool, 40 KB).

radix42

#11 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:55 PM

Each feature will be weighed up by the DEV Team so everyone can have their say, but bare in mind that some requests may never make an appearance and others may appear over time as there are higher priorities such as blacklisting etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users