6 replies to this topic

#1 xpanse

xpanse

1% Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

Every time a new version of 120% is released I have to uninstall, restart, install restart before I can even use the software. This is extremely time consuming. Maybe development into a simpler upgrade option would save lots of user time?

#2 zamiel

zamiel

Forum Support

• Administration
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:44 AM

This is because drivers for the virtual drive need to be removed and since they're loaded when Windows starts it needs to reboot to remove these.

#3 sagji

sagji

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (zamiel @ May 3 2005, 10:56 AM)
This is because drivers for the virtual drive need to be removed and since they're loaded when Windows starts it needs to reboot to remove these.

However it is possible to do this in a single reboot, the current scheme requires two seperate reboots.

And it SHOULD end up with the same settings - currently upgrading doesn't restore the mounted drives.

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:46 PM

When you uninstall Alcohol you are asked if you want the registry entries to be kept or deleted, aren't you? These entries have exactly to do with the program's configuration. As for the virtual drives the difference in vendor names e.t.c. between the versions makes it practicaly impossible to keep the old ones, not to mention their tedency to become "physical" if they remain.

#5 sagji

sagji

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Sep 27 2005, 05:58 PM)
When you uninstall Alcohol you are asked if you want the registry entries to be kept or deleted, aren't you? These entries have exactly to do with the program's configuration.

Yes and I did say I wanted to keep them, but it didn't remember which image file was mounted on which drive letter.
QUOTE (Charalambos @ Sep 27 2005, 05:58 PM)
As for the virtual drives the difference in vendor names e.t.c. between the versions makes it practicaly impossible to keep the old ones, not to mention their tedency to become "physical" if they remain.

I don't mind that the drives are different, what I mind is that before I had image file Troy mounted on J: and after I don't.

#6 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:23 PM

Is it so important? You can remount your images after installing the updated version and it isn't neccessary for them to be mounted in a drive with the same letter. Anyway when you uninstall Alcohol you uninstall the VDs too so what you want is rather impossible.

#7 sagji

sagji

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (Charalambos @ Sep 30 2005, 06:35 PM)
Is it so important? You can remount your images after installing the updated version and it isn't neccessary for them to be mounted in a drive with the same letter. Anyway when you uninstall Alcohol you uninstall the VDs too so what you want is rather impossible.

It is not essential, however it does introduce an unnecessary inconvenience.
And sometimes the images do need to be on the same letter - so that software the goes to a specific drive gets the right disk. I have some software that is fussy about where it will look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users