• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:41 AM

I see many people are scared with 'Expert' mode when installing, thus just use the preset bus driver names, and thus are caught by many blacklisted games.

Many posts also ask for help about how to avoid blacklist problems. Support team must again and again shows them how to uninstall and reinstall in order to change the names.

Perhaps next versions could be that: When Alcohol installs itself, it just randomly generates bus drivers' and virtual driver' names.

In current version, users can simply change new names for virtual drives in the option, so is it also possible for bus drivers' name to be changed in this way in future versions(in case the random names are caught by blacklisted games)?

Edited by MaLing, 13 June 2005 - 02:48 PM.

#2 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:47 PM

I've thought about that myself, but the downside is if there's a problem, how can we help them track down the drivers if they're randomly generated? Good idea, but too many "what if's" to worry about.

#3 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:01 PM

Yes, it is a problem when providing support.

However, if in the option, Alcohol shows a field for users to change the bus drivers' names, just like the virtual driver's name in the current version, then the random bus drivers' names can be displayed there as well. (Just like the virtual driver's name is displayed in the option field.)

Furthermore, whether these bus drivers' names are shown in the option field or not, they should be found somewhere in the registry (or somewhere else, but I am not too sure). Just like now, I often see users asking how to edit the registry (or somewhere) to avoid blacklist problems without knowing the preset bus drivers' names.

Besides, even under the present method, i.e. users can choose whatever bus drivers' names they like when installing under expert mode, I believe a lot of users just simply enter any names without reasons, and they can never remember what names they choose during installation.

Edited by MaLing, 13 June 2005 - 03:00 PM.

#4 Charalambos

Charalambos

Support Team Member

• Support Team
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:57 PM

What about the installation to always prompt the user's( informing them about the blacklisting problems) to change or even enter themselves the driver's names? What about giving the same oportunity for the product manufacturer and the product version of the virtual drive?

#5 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:57 AM

Extract from Daemon Tools's site news page:
The changelog for V4:

- Drivername randomly generated on each machine (not finished yet)

- Drive-vendor and versionnumber randomly generated

blush.gif blush.gif blush.gif

Sometimes I just open my mouth wide and let rubbish flows out, but it becomes real. biggrin.gif

I knew just to have faith in the developent team.

Or am I too arrogant? The development team must have thought that before I posted here. tongue.gif

#6 LocutusofBorg

LocutusofBorg

DTools Administration

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:27 AM

we decided that long before you mentioned it wink.gif We didn't stole your idea

(and even if, we would not say so LOL)

#7 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:10 PM

He is the Borg. They assimilate everything. wink.gif

#8 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:53 AM

So I am too arrogant. blush.gif

#9 Jito463

Jito463

Forum Support

• Support Team
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:54 AM

lol, don't worry about it. It was a good idea, regardless of who thought of it. As I stated above, I thought there'd be too many support issues involved (which there may still be as I don't think they've implemented the random driver names yet), but hopefully they've figured out a way to make it all work.

#10 MaLing

MaLing

Official Birthday Wisher

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:39 AM

Oh, I am certain they have. Before started working on this W.I. P. development, they must have well planned the whole solution. smile.gif

Edited by MaLing, 29 November 2005 - 05:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users