#1 Chema

Chema

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 05:55 PM

Hi.

With these 2 suggestions I think the program will be easier to use:

- "inline help": when the cursor is over any option/parameter the typical contextual yellow window help appears showing the option/parameter description and a little explanation about their use.

- protection detector: include a new option that permit scan a cd in order to identify the protection it uses an then configure correctly the options needed to copy it (if Alcohol can emulate a protection...I suppose it can also detect it previously).
Now we must do that using some utilities from 3rd parts instead (clony or similar programs), but if the "feature" is included in Alcohol...one utility less to use.

I hope these "features" can be included in future versions even if they aren't the typical *technical* feature.

Regards.

#2 luciano

luciano

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Chema @ Jan 15 2003, 07:15 PM)
- protection detector: include a new option that permit scan a cd in order to identify the protection it uses an then configure correctly the options needed to copy it (if Alcohol can emulate a protection...I suppose it can also detect it previously).
Now we must do that using some utilities from 3rd parts instead (clony or similar programs), but if the "feature" is included in Alcohol...one utility less to use.

I think this will not implemented because it's illegal

#3 Lvsitano

Lvsitano

Portuguese Translator

• Alcohol Beta Tester
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Chema @ Jan 15 2003, 06:15 PM)
- "inline help": when the cursor is over any option/parameter the typical contextual yellow window help appears showing the option/parameter description and a little explanation about their use.

Those are called tooltips biggrin.gif I already suggested that.

#4 Chema

Chema

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 10:28 PM

For luciano, about the illegality of a possible protection "detector feature":
huh.gif Well...I'm not lawyer but...if a program like Alcohol used to backup yours original CDs, bypassing/emulating/copying the protection schemes used by these CDs (if any used) is perfectly legal (or perhaps Alcohol itself is an illegal software?)...why the posibility it can tell you what kind of scheme protection uses the CD you want to backup this will be illegal?
I think the inclusion or not of this kind of feature in a program used precisely to backup protected CDs is not a question of legality...

For vio_man, about the "tooltips" suggestion:
Thank you for your help...yes, obviously I suggested the use of tooltips for contextual help but...I didn't remember the "technical name" in english for this elements laugh.gif

#5 luciano

luciano

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (Chema @ Jan 15 2003, 11:48 PM)
For luciano, about the illegality of a possible protection "detector feature":
huh.gif Well...I'm not lawyer but...if a program like Alcohol used to backup yours original CDs, bypassing/emulating/copying the protection schemes used by these CDs (if any used) is perfectly legal (or perhaps Alcohol itself is an illegal software?)...why the posibility it can tell you what kind of scheme protection uses the CD you want to backup this will be illegal?
I think the inclusion or not of this kind of feature in a program used precisely to backup protected CDs is not a question of legality...

I haven't made I the laws. Ask this to a lawer: backup protected cds is legal, tools that help to copy protected cd detecting the protection are illegal. If you search the forum you will find a lot of topics that say this.

#6 Chema

Chema

10% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (luciano @ Jan 16 2003, 12:29 PM)
I haven't made I the laws. Ask this to a lawer: backup protected cds is legal, tools that help to copy protected cd detecting the protection are illegal. If you search the forum you will find a lot of topics that say this.

But to make a valid backup of your cd you must know what kind of protection is used in the original cause every protection need to be copied using diferent configurations...then the only legal way to know this is...emmmm...aaaarrrggghhh!!! sad.gif ... :no: .... none?

I wonder how the lawyers think we can do a legal backup without know how do it...
Surely they never have tried to do this by themself.

So there is only one thing we can say: LONG LIFE TO CLONY & SIMILARS!!...

#7 flips

flips

100% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 435 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 12:58 AM

Laws of different countries vary. I can't see any reason why protection scanners would be illegal under Australian law but my understanding is that they are illegal under the laws of some countries (e.g. Germany).

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

120% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 08:08 AM

Yes Germany is starting to change some of its laws, we are not certain to what extent that will be at the moment. but whatever they do others may follow

#9 Robbo

Robbo

Forum Administration

• Administration
  • 6,740 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Jan 19 2003, 10:28 AM)
Yes Germany is starting to change some of its laws, we are not certain to what extent that will be at the moment. but whatever they do others may follow

This also the reasons behind changes that have been made to ClonyXXL and TCCD Scout, earlier you could directly start CCD with the parameterīs needed since the news about the Law change you cant ( though there is a work around using the profiler from Clony, which basiclly does that ).

#10 silversword

silversword

1% Member

• +Alcohol-Customer
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (luciano @ Jan 15 2003, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Chema @ Jan 15 2003, 07:15 PM)
- protection detector: include a new option that permit scan a cd in order to identify the protection it uses an then configure correctly the options needed to copy it (if Alcohol can emulate a protection...I suppose it can also  detect it previously).

I think this will not implemented because it's illegal

Is it possible to include a field like a database entry, that you could set the Copy Protection to so if you need to burn a backup CD, you know which mode (eg safedisk 2) to burn it in...

Nothing to do with the auto-identifying the copy protection, just a notation area that you can make the note for.

David Troesch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users